Author Topic: MY FRIEND DIDN'T FIND OUT HIS HOUSEMATE WAS JEWISH UNTIL AFTER HE LEFT !?!?  (Read 939 times)

Offline Merkava

• Master JTFer
Funnily enough a friend of mine lived with a person for a year and didn't know he was Jewish. It wasn't until the former housemate told my friend Mazal Tov at a recent party. I met the guy himslef and he is not religious but he is very Zionistic.

I wonder if he was hiding his heritege or did everyone just assume that he was Christian ? Bit of a surprise to me!

Do you have similar experiences where you have known someone for a long time and you didn't find out they were Jewish until much later ?

"We are in 1938, and Iran is Germany"

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
The problem is that today there is so little distinction between liberal secular Jews and their non-Jewish cousins. This causes the confusion about whether or not they are actually Jewish
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
No, that is a very odd story.  I can't imagine living with anyone for a year and not knowing their background, religion, or ethnicity.  I'd say that he was probably trying to hide it. 
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris

Offline Merkava

• Master JTFer
I can't imagine living with anyone for a year and not knowing their background, religion, or ethnicity.  I'd say that he was probably trying to hide it.

Thats what i thought initially but when I spoke to him he seemed proud of being Jewish so I doubt he was hiding anything. When I asked him about it he said that no one ever asked him what religion he was  :(  i guess it could be true because while I was at Uni religion among the students seemed to be non existent.
"We are in 1938, and Iran is Germany"

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
There were times when I had co-workers who initially, I didn't know they were Jewish and found out later. But anyone who I roomed with in college, I knew whether or not they were Jewish.