Author Topic: Guys, please help.  (Read 1759 times)

Offline nopeaceforland

• Master JTFer
Guys, please help.
« on: October 28, 2007, 03:29:02 AM »
Hey all,

I was just wondering, I was looking at Frumster and for the denominations I saw everything, but what is "Traditional" as opposed to say Conservative? Is it more or less religious? I tried to research it, but came up short. Please help. :)

Offline nopeaceforland

• Master JTFer
Re: Guys, please help.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 03:32:19 AM »
It's more Religious. It's not a movement. It is simply non-religious Orthodox.

Thanks a lot guys. :)

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 10:27:30 PM »
Good info, this confused me too.

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 10:53:17 PM »
Good info, this confused me too.
It's close to Modern Orthodox I'd say
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 10:57:34 PM »
If you don't keep Sabbath and/or eat Kosher but observe Jewish customs and some laws, then you would be considered traditional which means not religious but keeping customs and a few laws.  The difference between that and Conservative, is that you don't consider yourself to be conservative or believe in that nonsense, you openly admit that you are not religious.  Most Sefardim I know are in this category as Sefardim rightfully see conservativism as bull crap.  Yacov Menashe Ben Rachamim would be considered as Traditional.  Modern Orthodox means someone like me, who observes all the Jewish laws and is Misnaged in origin (or the Sephardic equivalent of Misnaged).  I honestly have never figured out what is the difference between Modern Orthodox Machmir and Modern Orthodox Liberal.  I know that Yeshivish means your a Yeshivish black hat learner type. 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 11:02:37 PM by jdl4ever »
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 11:02:36 PM »
It's more Religious. It's not a movement. It is simply non-religious Orthodox. I used to be Sfardic Tradtional on there but they removed that choice so I just picked Modern Orthodox Liberal because Traditional on there makes someone have a different type of profile which they call "Non-Orthodox" and the only Orthodox Jews they let you contact are Modern Orthodox Liberal and Traditonal.

Do they have a "Practically a Goy" option?  :::D
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 11:03:45 PM »

Hey, if you guys want to put up an online profile and need help with it, let me know, I'm very good at it.  :)
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 11:04:19 PM »
It's more Religious. It's not a movement. It is simply non-religious Orthodox. I used to be Sfardic Tradtional on there but they removed that choice so I just picked Modern Orthodox Liberal because Traditional on there makes someone have a different type of profile which they call "Non-Orthodox" and the only Orthodox Jews they let you contact are Modern Orthodox Liberal and Traditonal.

Do they have a "Practically a Goy" option?  :::D
yea that's called "reformed" or better "humanistic"
KAHANE TZADAK!