Author Topic: Spice boxes for Havdalah  (Read 7239 times)

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
Spice boxes for Havdalah
« on: November 06, 2007, 09:40:20 PM »
Does anyone know what the besamim symbolizes? I understand the havdalah candle and the wine, but what does the besamim represent?
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Spice boxes for Havdalah
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 10:19:04 PM »
Does anyone know what the besamim symbolizes? I understand the havdalah candle and the wine, but what does the besamim represent?

Not sure about  what they represent, but you smell it (or something pleasent) in order to "appease" (dont have the right word ) your regular soul, becuase the extra Shabb-t soul has left you.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 12:49:45 AM »
It's also to comfort you knowing that the fires of Hell will start burning again now that Shabbat is over.

How does that comfort you? Anyway, I believe that the fires of Hell stop only for those Jews who have kept Shabb-ahht.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 10:16:05 PM »
It's also to comfort you knowing that the fires of Hell will start burning again now that Shabbat is over.

How does that comfort you? Anyway, I believe that the fires of Hell stop only for those Jews who have kept Shabbat.
Judaism doesn't believe in hell, just Olam habah. I think that what that means is if you lived according to G-d's will you will be immortalized and if you didnt your death will signal your end
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 10:18:41 PM »

How does that comfort you? Anyway, I believe that the fires of Hell stop only for those Jews who have kept Shabbat.
Judaism doesn't believe in hell, just Olam habah. I think that what that means is if you lived according to G-d's will you will be immortalized and if you didnt your death will signal your end
Ever heard of Gehinom?

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

Offline Lubab

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 11:19:27 PM »
You're both right.

We believe in gehinom, but it's not what most people think hell is.
"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 08:49:23 PM »
You're both right.

Could you elaborate or is it not defined well in Jewish tradition?
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 12:08:28 PM »
You're both right.

Actually their is Gehinom in the Jewish tradition, but its main purpose inst exactly revenge and "G-d's rath" as others imagine, but its mainly a place to purify souls. But that doesnt mean that its an easy experience and the worst pain in this world is 60 times less then the least there. (I belive I have the # right).

Offline Lubab

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 03:20:24 PM »
You're both right.

Actually their is Gehinom in the Jewish tradition, but its main purpose inst exactly revenge and "G-d's rath" as others imagine, but its mainly a place to purify souls. But that doesnt mean that its an easy experience and the worst pain in this world is 60 times less then the least there. (I belive I have the # right).

Yes it's more of a cleansing than a punishment and you do have the number right but the comparison is to physical fire.

It's a spiritual "place", not a physical place.

This cleansing can also take place through this world with physical suffering. Some people have their gehinom
on earth and that is considered a blessing actually.

My Rabbi often puts it this way: heaven and hell is really the same "place". It's the Truth. For those who lived Truth it's heaven and for those who did not it's hell.

For those who have lived falsehood gehinom is that painful process of breaking out of those misconceptions and realizing how they've lived life in the wrong way.  Hopefully people will do here so they don't need to after 120.
Sometimes physical suffering causes a person to look deeper into their life and wakes them up to the fact that he's not living his wife in the proper way and then they can change.

After 120 a person can't change the way they live their life and I suppose that's what makes it so much worse.
"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 10:28:20 PM »
You're both right.

Yes it's more of a cleansing than a punishment and you do have the number right but the comparison is to physical fire.

This cleansing can also take place through this world with physical suffering. Some people have their gehinom

My Rabbi often puts it this way: heaven and hell is really the same "place". It's the Truth. For those who lived Truth it's heaven and for those who did not it's hell.

For those who have lived falsehood gehinom is that painful process of breaking out of those misconceptions and realizing how they've lived life in the wrong way.  Hopefully people will do here so they don't need to after 120.
Sometimes physical suffering causes a person to look deeper into their life and wakes them up to the fact that he's not living his wife in the proper way and then they can change.

After 120 a person can't change the way they live their life and I suppose that's what makes it so much worse.

So all people have a share in Olam Habah? What about idol worshippers?
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 10:35:53 PM »
You're both right.

How did you derive that? No not all people, but I belive that their are opinions that idol worshippers can have. (allthough dont rely upon it, becuase MAY). Someone can be doing that out of stupidity and we dont know G-d's judgement for everyone, but their are other sins that cause a person no Share in the World to come, thats for sure.

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 10:50:57 PM »
You're both right.

How did you derive that? No not all people, but I belive that their are opinions that idol worshippers can have. (allthough dont rely upon it, becuase MAY). Someone can be doing that out of stupidity and we dont know G-d's judgement for everyone, but their are other sins that cause a person no Share in the World to come, thats for sure.
but do people always have that chance to correct their ways?
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 02:07:10 PM »
You're both right.

but do people always have that chance to correct their ways?

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2007, 10:31:52 PM »
Re:  "...The only Jews who have no place in Olam HaBa are traitors and informers. We pray for this 3 times a day..."

At last!

I'll get to meet Sammy Davis, Jr.!

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2007, 10:38:01 PM »
The only Jews who have no place in Olam HaBa are traitors and informers. We pray for this 3 times a day.

Their are actually more, but I dont want to get into that right now. (for a couple of reasons, one of which becuase I would have to go searching for the sources and then post).

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2008, 05:12:32 AM »
The only Jews who have no place in Olam HaBa are traitors and informers. We pray for this 3 times a day.

Le'malshimin ayn tikvah  .Peace now a yesh G'vul they are traitors as w as anyone who gives up land
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 05:17:39 AM by mord »
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2008, 11:21:02 AM »
Re:  "...The only Jews who have no place in Olam HaBa are traitors and informers. We pray for this 3 times a day..."

At last!

I'll get to meet Sammy Davis, Jr.!
Not a real Jew...

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

Offline Dexter

• Master JTFer
  • צֶדֶק צֶדֶק, תִּרְדֹּף
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2008, 02:26:17 PM »
You're both right.

No, read Mishna Sanhadrin, 10:1...
Not a foreign land we took and not with foreign possession but a land that belong to our ancestors that was occupied without a trial. And when we had the opportunity, we took our land back.
-Shimon Maccabee's answer to Antiochus VII Sidetes.

"When fighting monsters, be wary not to become one... When you gaze into the abyss, it also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

• Master JTFer
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 10:42:20 PM »
when I imagine Olam Habah, I think of those of us that have lived proper lives as being given the gift of eternal life and those that have lived improper lives simply die, that being their end. This of course opposed to the Christian view that all souls are eternal, just some receive good and others receive bad
KAHANE TZADAK!