Author Topic: Worthwhile?  (Read 17513 times)

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
Re: Worthwhile?
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2007, 02:03:20 AM »
First of all, the number one priority in Judaism is Tradition.  Secondly, there is no such thing as having to Paskin out of only one commentary.  I hear Charedim tell each other this all the time, that "if you follow the Ramban on this issue than you got to follow everything he says".  This is a lie and is not the truth (yes, I know the Talmudic source where they claim to get it out of but it's a distortion).  The Talmud's Halachot are all taken out of different Rabbis opinions and the Shulchan Aruch's opinons are based on several different commentaries with different opinions.  You follow whatever you feel is the correct Torah opinion if you have no tradition one way or the other.  Thirdly, I repeated what the Rav said twice and you still don't understand what he said.  I have no ambiguity in what the Rambam is saying and neither of you have offered any Torah argument whatsoever demonstrating how the Rambam could possibly mean anything else than what I said he means.  Instead you say "some Rabbi says the Rambam said something he didn't say from your quote".  Playing the Rabbi game is not a valid Torah argument and the Rav would say the same thing I am saying if you tried to debate him by not using any Torah arguments but instead quoting Rabbis.

So the way you do it is if you have a family tradition of something, you absolutely must follow that tradition over anything else even if it is a minority opinion and trace it to the commentary who permits that tradition.  It happens that most Sephardim and Askenazim have most or their traditions coincide with the Shulchan Aruch.  If you don't have a family tradition on something, then you can follow whatever commentary you personally think is the correct opinion based on your Torah study, but since you are not a Rabbi you may not tell other people to follow that opinion but may simply list the opinion and defend it.  You are only permitted to tell other people to follow a certain opinion if that is the majority opinion followed by most Askenazim let's say which is the S.A. with the RAMA.  Generally, I follow the S.A. except when he says things based on Kabalah of the Zohar and when he argues with the Rambam.  On things I am not well versed on (which is most things) I defer to the S.A. with the RAMA until I get well versed on them and decide what to follow since that is the default law of most Askenazim.

Lastly, there is no Rabbi in my area with the same traditions as my family and who is a Kahane follower so I don't appreciate you putting me on the defensive here.  I can't pull a rabbit out of a hat when there is no rabbit.  I do have a Rabbi but can't get a Rebbe Muvak for this reason. 

Now I am getting tired of posting in this topic.  I am the only one posting actual Torah arguments and I am not getting any Torah responses. 
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 02:29:06 AM by jdl4ever »
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2007, 12:23:48 AM »

Rav Mizrahi gives lectures at Beit Gavriel ( 71st street) on Wensday nights 8:00 P.M.
Let me know.
Is that the place on Main Street that is made out of white Israeli lime stone with green highlights that is a Beit Medrish with dorms?
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2007, 12:26:52 AM »

Rav Mizrahi gives lectures at Beit Gavriel ( 71st street) on Wensday nights 8:00 P.M.
Let me know.
Is that the place on Main Street that is made out of white Israeli lime stone with green highlights that is a Beit Medrish with dorms?

No, oops I made a mistake, its 108 th street.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2007, 12:29:34 AM »
http://www.torahanytime.com/rmizrachi.html 

Heres an add with the exact address.
 But if you know Queens, and know Queens Bulvard then go to where that theather Midway is, by austin street, and turn on 108th street, driving (or walking) down you will see a shul with Bukharian looking fence on the right side. 
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Dominater96

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2007, 03:11:09 AM »
I don't understand.  I only ask Rabbis questions on things I don't know.  I know what the Rambam says and I know what your Rabbis opinion is on touching girls, which I don't follow having a different tradition than he does.  I do live in Queens by the way.   

This is precisely your problem. Oseh lecha rav. Your job is not to pasqen for yourself, especially when you want to be lenient in a matter of halacha, or outright transgress it has wehalila, or, in your case, say that it is not required.

First of all, do you have a tradition of pasqening by the Mishneh Torah? If yes, have you been tought this outright, or are you assuming this based on something? Most Jews do not pasqen by the MT, we pasqen by the Shulhan Aruch, and then add our local customs, as you know already. I'm not going to comment on the prohibitions mentioned in the Rambam's Issure Bia, and neither should you. Go to your Rabbi and show him this and ask him what he thinks. What is disturbing is that you've already discounted opinions gathered from well-respected, learned rabbis, such as Eli J. Mansour, on this matter. Although you have every right to be skeptical and investigate matters of Torah, simply saying that you know better is not right. Your job is to go up to a rabbi, specifically YOUR rabbi, or a gaon, and ask him the tough questions; that is what they are there for.

And that's what I would like you to do, JDL. Go to your rabbi and explain to him your interpretation of the Rambam, which discounts many other factors in my opinion, explain to him your family tradition, and ask him anything and everything in between. Please do not continue to put forth your arguments against shomer negia as a matter of law until you do what every Jew should do. Come back with his opinion and then continue your argument.

While you are at it, you might as well tell Chaim what you think of shomer negia. Yes, I understand that you are shomer negia, except you shake hands, and that's fine, as that is a leniency that is accepted by many rabbis, including Haredim.

The Lubavitcher Rebbe A"H said that the beef we have with the Reform and Conservative movement is not the compromising of halacha, because sometimes one has to make compromises for himself. The difference between them and Torah-true Jews is that we don't justify it.

You are a great and intelligent poster, but I think you be very mistaken in your approach to this issue.
I know that Rabbi Mansour says that any touching is prohibited. I didnt ask about shaking hands, etc. I asked him because I was curious about his position, as I do not hold by him, to black for me.