Author Topic: Check out my YouTube Observation Report  (Read 1160 times)

Offline WestCoastJTF

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Senior JTFer
Check out my YouTube Observation Report
« on: November 21, 2007, 07:33:42 AM »
I've been fooling around with this...I've had a hard time keeping track of everything we have on YouTube so I whipped this up:

http://www.jtfarchive.org/youtube_report.pl

I have a job that searches YouTube nightly (at 3am) for various JTF-related search terms (described in the header of the page).  It then builds a report of all videos it finds, including links, thumbnail pics, description, keywords, ratings summary, number of views, etc.

It's subject to YouTube's Developer API limitations...you can only get 1,000 results for any search term at the moment.  Searching for "JTF" is useless because there's some game called "Joint Task Force" that has a gazillion hits.  So I narrow down by what's in the keywords and descriptions.

Boeregeneraal

Re: Check out my YouTube Observation Report
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 07:38:39 AM »
Very nice-did you program that robot?

Offline WestCoastJTF

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 07:45:39 AM »
Yes, it's all done in perl.

Before someone mentions it, I'm aware it's not Unicode-compliant (yet), which is why some of the video titles in Hebrew print out as garbage...I'm not used to working with non-Latin-alphabet languages.  I will fix that once I read up on Unicode.

Boeregeneraal

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 07:49:23 AM »
Yes, it's all done in perl.

Before someone mentions it, I'm aware it's not Unicode-compliant (yet), which is why some of the video titles in Hebrew print out as garbage...I'm not used to working with non-Latin-alphabet languages.  I will fix that once I read up on Unicode.

wow! Great work West Coast!!!
I bet chaim would be very glad about this ;)

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 07:52:54 AM »
Thats great WestcoastJTF
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Boeregeneraal

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 07:54:47 AM »
what other things can you program?

Offline WestCoastJTF

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 01:43:44 PM »
What did you have in mind?

FYI, as regards YouTube...querying YT is easy, because they have an interface for that.  Doing something like "automatically login from 10 accounts and rate/favorite/comment on videos" is hard because they do not have an interface for that and Web 2.0 sites (like YT) are hard to automate.  There are YT bots out there...for example, a little googling turned this up:

http://www.tubetoolbox.com/