Author Topic: Arizona businesses vow to fight hiring law  (Read 1512 times)

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 05:19:20 AM by RationalThought110 »

newman

Re: Arizona businesses vow to fight hiring law
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 05:12:58 AM »
There's no story on that link!

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 05:19:56 AM »
Fixed it; try it now.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 09:59:14 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,316237,00.html
This is a great article. It shows just how divided people are on this issue. Business owners are in favor of having illegals here since its a source of cheap labor. I had a discussion about this issue with a person who has his own business. They felt that lower labor costs were good for business and America needs people like the illegals to fill this segment of the labor pool. I tried to explain to him that that by hiring people at substandard wages he was depressing the wage structure that we have come to know in this country. People have disposable income to do extra things here in America because we have had a fair pay structure for the past 50 or so years. By depressing this standard people have to work longer hours for less just to keep up. Soon all the extras that people would buy and have done will be cut or put off because they can no longer afford to do them. Business needs to pay a fair days pay so people can then go out and use the items and services they provide. In the short term business owners will prosper on cheap labor however as more and more Americans have wages cut and are expected to work like a Chinaman in China or Mexican here illegally for half or third of what the normal wage is our economy will start to resemble the ones in the third world. The law that holds business people accountable for hiring illegals is a good law its a law that would save our quality of life here in America. Sadly the federal government  will find reason to ignore it and Americas slide into the third world will continue uninterrupted.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

newman

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 10:11:09 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,316237,00.html
This is a great article. It shows just how divided people are on this issue. Business owners are in favor of having illegals here since its a source of cheap labor. I had a discussion about this issue with a person who has his own business. They felt that lower labor costs were good for business and America needs people like the illegals to fill this segment of the labor pool. I tried to explain to him that that by hiring people at substandard wages he was depressing the wage structure that we have come to know in this country. People have disposable income to do extra things here in America because we have had a fair pay structure for the past 50 or so years. By depressing this standard people have to work longer hours for less just to keep up. Soon all the extras that people would buy and have done will be cut or put off because they can no longer afford to do them. Business needs to pay a fair days pay so people can then go out and use the items and services they provide. In the short term business owners will prosper on cheap labor however as more and more Americans have wages cut and are expected to work like a Chinaman in China or Mexican here illegally for half or third of what the normal wage is our economy will start to resemble the ones in the third world. The law that holds business people accountable for hiring illegals is a good law its a law that would save our quality of life here in America. Sadly the federal government  will find reason to ignore it and Americas slide into the third world will continue uninterrupted.

You can't explain basic economics to idiotic small business people. All they can see with lower wages is paying their two staff $75 per week each less, thereby pocketing an extra $150 per week.

They're too pig-headed and stupid to realise that if that spreads across the whole workforce, they'll find their turnover dropping at a rate of knots because everyone's disposable incoime has been slashed. Wnen you slash the gross income of a low-paid worker by 20% you slash his disposable income by 80%.

Sometimes I feel sorry for the small operator being victimised by big business. Other times I think they deserve all they get.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 04:05:52 AM »

You can't explain basic economics to idiotic small business people. All they can see with lower wages is paying their two staff $75 per week each less, thereby pocketing an extra $150 per week.

They're too pig-headed and stupid to realise that if that spreads across the whole workforce, they'll find their turnover dropping at a rate of knots because everyone's disposable incoime has been slashed. Wnen you slash the gross income of a low-paid worker by 20% you slash his disposable income by 80%.

Sometimes I feel sorry for the small operator being victimised by big business. Other times I think they deserve all they get.

But aren't big businesses guilty of doing the same thing?