Author Topic: Is this place Kosher?  (Read 10118 times)

Offline takebackourtemple

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
Re: Is this place Kosher?
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2007, 04:47:10 PM »
Well, theoretically he can show up on Sabbath and step into the kitchen to simply observe that they are not fooling around so they fear that he may do this. 

Is this permissable Shabbat?  Since it is his actual job to do this?

A rabbi does his job of running Shabbat services on Shabbat. Paperwork for the rest of the week just has to just be juggled so he doesn't get paid for what is done on Shabbat even though that is really what he is being paid for. Perhaps there is something similar for the Hashgucha?
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2007, 07:14:11 PM »
Well, theoretically he can show up on Sabbath and step into the kitchen to simply observe that they are not fooling around so they fear that he may do this. 

Is this permissable Shabbat?  Since it is his actual job to do this?

A rabbi does his job of running Shabbat services on Shabbat. Paperwork for the rest of the week just has to just be juggled so he doesn't get paid for what is done on Shabbat even though that is really what he is being paid for. Perhaps there is something similar for the Hashgucha?

good answer..as long as he isn't getting paid on that day and he isn't writing anything etc etc..

but still, i don't think it's right for a kosher restaurant to be open on shabbat unless it is connected to the synogogue.

however here is my other question. If it is run by gentiles and it is connected by teh synogogue and it isn't being authorized by another Jew, can they themselves kindle the fire themselves and serve this hot food to Jews?
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

• Master JTFer
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2007, 07:56:26 PM »
   Often synagogues use non-jewish people to operate lights and air conditioners on Shabbat. Whether fire and electricity are the same is another issue though so if they are different, the case of using a shabbat goy does not apply.
   My big question is whether a Jew really has to be involved for the food to be kosher. If a non-jew was able to perform the role of a mashgiach to the extent of how the torah commands the food to be prepared, could that possibly suffice? The biblical laws could all be followed by someone of another religion, but could all of the rabbinical ones be followed? If not, which ones.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2007, 08:05:32 PM »
   Often synagogues use non-jewish people to operate lights and air conditioners on Shabbat. Whether fire and electricity are the same is another issue though so if they are different, the case of using a shabbat goy does not apply.
   My big question is whether a Jew really has to be involved for the food to be kosher. If a non-jew was able to perform the role of a mashgiach to the extent of how the torah commands the food to be prepared, could that possibly suffice? The biblical laws could all be followed by someone of another religion, but could all of the rabbinical ones be followed? If not, which ones.

i shoudl add another point about shabbos goys. Isn't written that everyone in one's household including the "slave" be put to rest on shabbat?  I mean a shabbos goy is not a slave, but is still an employee of that Jewish household. It only makes sense that he/she doesn't work either. 
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2007, 08:05:54 PM »
You just need to check if they have a certificate hanging on the wall. Usually they will display it.

And there's an Indian food place that's kosher here that is open on Shabbat because the owner isn't Jewish but passed his kosher tests. A Jewish person has to light the pilots on the oven, I think. It's a vegetarian place since a lot of Hindus eat there. They have the certificate hanging up by the door and lot of Orthodox people eat there.
"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2007, 09:21:23 PM »
This says Tzimchoni (Vegetarian) in Hebrew and the English word Vegetarian written in Yiddish.
They'd have to have a lot of Chutzpa to put be Goyim, put Hebrew and Yiddish on their site, and not be Kosher...

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

• Master JTFer
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2007, 09:39:01 PM »
http://shamash.org/kosher/search.php

Buddha Bodai Kosher Vegetarian Restaurant Read Reviews (3)

Address/Phone: 5 Mott St. [map]
New York, NY 10013 UNITED STATES
phone: (212) 566-8388 fax: (212) 566-1717 
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Metro Area: New York - Manhattan Metro area
Cuisine: Vegetarian Chinese
Cuisines: Asian / Chinese / Oriental / Sushi, Vegetarian
Price Range: $
Category: Vegetarian, Pareve
Additional Kosher Info: Orthodox
Hashgacha/Supervision: The Rabbinical Alliance - Rabbi Israel Mayer Steinberg
Last Updated By: rob smith ([email protected])
Last Updated On: 6/9/2006
Hours: 10:00am to 10:30pm
Web Page: www.buddhabodai.com
Rest Record Number: 03541
 this record for Buddha Bodai Kosher Vegetarian Restaurant if you have more current information

Thanks for the clarification.

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2007, 10:51:56 PM »
I went to Buddha Bodai in New York and ate there with my family, they accept the Hashkafah.  It is strictly vegetarian with no dairy or meat in the restaurant and it is run by Buddists who's religion prohibits them from eating meat.  And for this reason any Orthodox Hashkafah is fine.  They have imitation pork which tastes good I might add.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 10:53:52 PM by jdl4ever »
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2008, 06:42:32 AM »
As long as there's no meat and Gentile owned, it's permitted to be open on Shabbat.

But technically, vegetables like broccoli may contain bugs inside and if not washed properly, it may be deemed as unkosher by certain observant Jews. Thereore, soem vegetarian places are fair game...no?

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2008, 09:29:36 AM »
My brother and i share a house he's not kosher i am he once tried to bring none kpsher chinesse in the house i would'nt let him.I was eating kosher chinesse it was chicken in garlic sauce he said it was better then the none kosher more Garlic taste larger portion more chicken and the chicken was better as well as sauce.Btw some kosher chinnese use veal in place of pork i really don'nt eat veal
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03