Should they be banned?

Yes.
5 (17.9%)
No.
22 (78.6%)
I don't know.
1 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Should New Year's Eve parties be banned?  (Read 10813 times)

admin

Should New Year's Eve parties be banned?
« on: December 31, 2007, 11:40:28 PM »
I think they should.

Kiwi

Re: Should New Year's Eve parties be banned?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 12:25:13 AM »
NO! I like the fireworks  :-\ Some Gentile activites are nice, I even enjoy the chinese new year, you want to ban that too.

How about accepting not everyone is Jewish, and respecting their cultures if it doesn't harm anyone else.

I think some here are a bit of a "kill joy".

Oh my I have just realised,  I am more left than the Doc  ???  :-\

Offline Ambiorix

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • There is no "Istanbul"
    • Brussels Journal
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 12:27:01 AM »
Are we demanding that the people should abstain from their traditions?
Turkey must get out of NATO. NATO must get out of Kosovo-Serbia. Croats must get out of Crajina. All muslims must get out of Christian and Jewish land. Turks must get out of Cyprus. Turks must get out of "Istanbul". "Palestinians" must get out of Israel. Israel must become independent from USA.

Kiwi

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 12:28:02 AM »
Are we demanding that the people should abstain from their traditions?

Looks like it. :-\

Offline takebackourtemple

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 12:35:38 AM »
   I think it should depend on the type of party. If it is an occasion where friends and family get together to have a good but moral time, I am all for it. If it is a bunch of people getting together to get drunk and have immoral sex, that should be banned any time of the year.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 12:38:14 AM »
Of course New Year's Eve parties should not be banned.  That's one of the most ridiculous polls I've seen on the forum.  If you don't want to take part in a New years party, then don't, but that's no need to want to deprive millions of people of a legitimate celebration.  You can ban the party for yourself if you want, but wanting to ban the celebration for millions, even hundreds of millions of people is completely unjustified and would deprive many people of joy that they get from it. 
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris

Offline Jasmina

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 12:40:24 AM »
No!
The whole system works because everyone is not mentally ill on the same day!!!!

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 12:42:09 AM »
Doesn't this completely go against the concept of letting gentiles run their holidays, and country as they want?  Why should Jews be concerned with the way gentile holidays are run?  What is next, are we going to tell Christians how to celebrate Christmas?  I don't see how the way people celebrate New Years is any concern to us.  It is certainly not something that we have or should have any decision over, whatsoever. 
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris

Kiwi

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 12:48:38 AM »
I don't really see the harm, its a cultural thing not a religious event.

Here in Australia any Jew, Christain, Pagan etc enjoys the event, if anything its the one time of the year where your beliefs are never taken into account, you are seen as just a person, an Australian.

Offline MasterWolf1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 12:50:37 AM »
It's not like it will ever be banned, no one will really except it.
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 12:51:40 AM »
Of course New Year's Eve parties should not be banned.  That's one of the most ridiculous polls I've seen on the forum.  If you don't want to take part in a New years party, then don't, but that's no need to want to deprive millions of people of a legitimate celebration.  You can ban the party for yourself if you want, but wanting to ban the celebration for millions, even hundreds of millions of people is completely unjustified and would deprive many people of joy that they get from it. 
Exactly! 
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 01:12:01 AM »
I voted NO. Did you mean a legal civil ban on everyone or a religious psak for Jews not to take part in them?

Offline Maccabi

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 01:21:07 AM »
It's no wonder secular Israelis are horrified by the idea of a religious state.

Offline jerry1800

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 06:08:00 AM »
intentions to ban N.Y. parties are signs of weakness  :o

we are no islamic society fearful of everything foreign   :(

Offline genteelgentile

• Pro JTFer
  • Chaim Ben Pesach- Civil Rights Leader 4 The Ages
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2008, 06:17:03 AM »
Don't say "ban", say "discouraged."
I LOVE dogs because muslims do not!!!!  Have your dog kiss a muslim today!

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2008, 06:28:13 AM »
just because you weren't invited to one doesn't mean you have to ruin it for the rest of us!
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2008, 06:30:44 AM »
NO! I like the fireworks  :-\ Some Gentile activites are nice, I even enjoy the chinese new year, you want to ban that too.

How about accepting not everyone is Jewish, and respecting their cultures if it doesn't harm anyone else.

I notice the embitterment by some on this forum when there are parties.  I know some people here become the way they are...when someone can't have something, then they accept certain rules that would disallow other to have the same thing so that they feel better and more empowered that they aren't alone...

However, in israel, jan 1st and dec 31st shouldn't be days that ISraelis ought to celebrate. It is a secular/non Jewish holiday..but the rest of the world is the rest of the world.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Kiwi

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2008, 07:00:56 AM »

I notice the embitterment by some on this forum when there are parties.  I know some people here become the way they are...when someone can't have something, then they accept certain rules that would disallow other to have the same thing so that they feel better and more empowered that they aren't alone...

However, in israel, jan 1st and dec 31st shouldn't be days that ISraelis ought to celebrate. It is a secular/non Jewish holiday..but the rest of the world is the rest of the world.

I puzzles me Doc, because no matter what has happen to the Jewish people they have never lost the ability to laugh and be entertained. Afterall look at all the famous Jews that create enjoyment for others.

God gave us a gift it would be a shame not to use it. Not so much celebrate the event, more of celebrate and enjoy the people around us.

ftf

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2008, 08:29:28 AM »
I personally think that New Year parties are rather silly, but I think that banning them would be wrong, people should be allowed to celebrate when they want to.

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2008, 08:35:37 AM »
If people want to waste money on silly things then thats their problem.

The fireworks and sound display here, costed £100,000 per minute.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2008, 08:37:43 AM »
No, it should not be banned. This new-year-party is as much religious as Kwanzaa.

It is a cultural event and it is funny  ;D (except the headache next day :'()

"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Kiwi

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2008, 08:45:56 AM »
If people want to waste money on silly things then thats their problem.

The fireworks and sound display here, costed £100,000 per minute.

Do you watch them?

Offline Johnson Brown

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2008, 08:50:14 AM »
I'm wit my sweethearts on dis ones, you peeples are just stuck up, kill joys because you am don'ts like to haves any fun.

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2008, 09:40:02 AM »
just because you weren't invited to one doesn't mean you have to ruin it for the rest of us!

LOL.
NO. New Year's Eve parties shouldn't be banned!

Joe Schmo

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2008, 11:03:34 AM »
Individuals should be allowed to be as foolish as they like.