Israel > The JTF Hebrew Club

The Correct Pronunciation of Hebrew

<< < (3/5) > >>

Dexter:

--- Quote from: judeanoncapta on January 08, 2008, 04:09:24 PM ---
--- Quote from: Dexter on January 08, 2008, 12:05:17 AM ---What is "palatial" T ?

--- End quote ---

Palatial means a sound that it made on the palate. I don't know the Hebrew word for palate. But Palate means the top of the mouth so a Palatial T is a T that is made not by the tongue hitting the teeth like a regular T, but by the tongue hitting the top of the mouth.

--- End quote ---
I always pronounce T like that...

jdl4ever:
Well, the D in Daled CAN be lengthened using the current ashkenazic prononciation of "D", I do it all the time.  You just have to sound the D gutterally instead of paletally (and then change it back to paletally at the end when you are done lengthening it) but in effect the sound made is almost identical between the two.  I don't think it is practical to make all those changes since they will kick me out of Shule!  But the Ashkenazim do pronounce Sookot and Shoeshan Purim as you write using the Shuruk.  And Tzadi is sounded Tzeh using the correct Ashkenazi prononciation.  Some Askenazim prononce Tzadi the same as Samach, but they are not following any Askenazic custom and they are wrong.  Also, Segol is pronounced correctly in our custom.

judeanoncapta:

--- Quote from: jdl4ever on January 09, 2008, 12:29:06 PM ---Well, the D in Daled CAN be lengthened using the current ashkenazic prononciation of "D", I do it all the time. 
--- End quote ---

Well, allow me to differ.

There is no such thing as a gutteral D, there is a dental D and a palatial D but a gutteral D is an impossibility. All you're doing is lengthening the A sound in Ehad.

--- Quote from: jdl4ever on January 09, 2008, 12:29:06 PM --- I don't think it is practical to make all those changes since they will kick me out of Shule! 
--- End quote ---

Any Shule that would throw you out for pronouncing Lashon haQodhesh correctly is not worth going to in the first place.

--- Quote from: jdl4ever on January 09, 2008, 12:29:06 PM ---And Tzadi is sounded Tzeh using the correct Ashkenazi prononciation. 
--- End quote ---

True but the Ashkenazi pronounciation itself is incorrect. It is a German sound not a Hebrew one. The correct sound is a palatial S.

--- Quote from: jdl4ever on January 09, 2008, 12:29:06 PM ---Some Askenazim prononce Tzadi the same as Samach, but they are not following any Askenazic custom and they are wrong. 
--- End quote ---

They may be wrong but they are closer to the real pronunciation that the Ashkenazi custom. Ts is not a Sound. It is two sounds put together T and S. They should change over to a Palatial S and they will be alright.

Although you seem to still be obsessed with following an Ashkenazi custom instead of following what is correct.

--- Quote from: jdl4ever on January 09, 2008, 12:29:06 PM ---Also, Segol is pronounced correctly in our custom.

--- End quote ---

Rashi calls Segol a Patah Qatan. A small Patah.

I'll leave it to your logic as to which sound more closely fits that description an Ashkenazi eh or a Yemenite aa.

judeanoncapta:

--- Quote from: Dexter on January 09, 2008, 12:21:49 AM ---
--- Quote from: judeanoncapta on January 08, 2008, 04:09:24 PM ---
--- Quote from: Dexter on January 08, 2008, 12:05:17 AM ---What is "palatial" T ?

--- End quote ---

Palatial means a sound that it made on the palate. I don't know the Hebrew word for palate. But Palate means the top of the mouth so a Palatial T is a T that is made not by the tongue hitting the teeth like a regular T, but by the tongue hitting the top of the mouth.

--- End quote ---
I always pronounce T like that...

--- End quote ---

Then you need to move your tongue further in the back of the mouth while pronouncing tet to make a distinction between the two.

q_q_:
I look forward to the video.

could you fill as in on where you got your knowledge of terminology such as palatial  - the difference in sound between a palatial s and a sibilant s.

a book? tape? degree course in phonetics?  I doubt it was a website!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version