Author Topic: Russian General Says Russia Could Use Nuclear Weapons to Prevent Attacks  (Read 2183 times)

Offline DALMACIJA

• Master JTFer
Russian General Says Russia Could Use Nuclear Weapons to Prevent Attacks
By VOA News
19 January 2008

Russia's top military chief said Saturday that Russia could use nuclear weapons to prevent attacks.

Russia's Army Chief of Staff Yuri Baluyevsky (file photo)
General Yuri Baluyevsky says Russia has no plans to attack anyone. But he says the world must understand that military forces, including nuclear bombs, will be used to defend Russia if it faces a major threat.

Baluyevsky's comments come at a time of increasing tensions between Russia and the West. Relations have been strained due to several issues, including: plans for U.S. missile defense facilities in former Soviet countries; NATO's refusal to ratify a new conventional weapons treaty; and the mysterious murder of former KGB agent Alexander Litvinenko with a rare radioactive poison in London in 2006.

Source
http://www.voanews.com/english/2008-01-19-voa14.cfm

Offline DALMACIJA

• Master JTFer
Re: Russian General Says Russia Could Use Nuclear Weapons to Prevent Attacks
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 01:36:27 PM »
Right now the US and EU authorities are planning with for example Poland to launce a missile defense system.

I think this is Russia’s reaction to the planning of the establishment of the missile system around Russia’s borders.

Does the west really need this rocket system near the borders with Russia?
This is just an other provocation and it is bringing the whole continent in danger.

Offline DALMACIJA

• Master JTFer
Re: Russian General Says Russia Could Use Nuclear Weapons to Prevent Attacks
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 01:37:53 PM »
Excuse me,

somebody also started this subject. I see it now

DELETE THIS