Author Topic: Is the Glass Half Empty or Half Full? What does the Torah Say?  (Read 1231 times)

Offline Lubab

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
Is the Glass Half Empty or Half Full? What does the Torah Say?
« on: January 12, 2008, 07:01:40 PM »
Answer: Both.

We need to be happy that the glass is at least half full. At the same time we need to be upset that it's not completely full and do something about it.

That's basically the same thing as what is says in Pirkei Avos (Ethics of Our Fathers).  You can see the quote in my signature....

Shavuah Tov! Have a good week everyone.

Lubab
"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Is the Glass Half Empty or Half Full? What does the Torah Say?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 07:12:01 PM »
What if we are upset that it's just water and not a Pepsi Cola?
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Kiwi

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 07:20:24 PM »
I was thinking who drank half my drink.........

Have a good weekend too lubab.

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 04:33:45 PM »
Bump. Just to give people a chance to see how the Torah has the answer to this question that has plagued humanity for centuries. ;)
"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 04:56:41 PM »
This is a great way to live life by. Though how can you be happy and upset, without one overpowering the other and either leading you to not being satisfied or being passive?

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 05:11:22 PM »
This is a great way to live life by. Though how can you be happy and upset, without one overpowering the other and either leading you to not being satisfied or being passive?

Good question.

Your main disposition should be one of happiness. However this is a certain kind of happiness which really has the sadness included in it so they don't contradict.

This is the happiness of making progress towards a goal. Everyone needs a goal and to work towards it, so you're happy that you're getting closer to your goal, but you're dissatisfied because you still have more to do. This will never lead you to be passive because your whole happiness is in the progress and your sadness in the progress that's yet to be made.

Thought we call it "sadness"... it's not really a sadness either..it's what we call a "bitterness" i.e. a feeling that we still need to do more.

So even this "sadness" leads you directly into more action.

In the Jewish prayers there are times where we focus on the bitterness (like the Tachanun prayer) while most of the day should be happy. I supposes gentiles should also take time out of their day to look at how much more they could be doing.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 05:13:23 PM by lubab »

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 05:20:51 PM »
Though sometimes I end up regretting everything I do because it wasn't enough to get closer to acheiving a goal, even though its just trying.

Is this a kind of Jewish psychology Lubab?

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 05:38:28 PM »
Though sometimes I end up regretting everything I do because it wasn't enough to get closer to acheiving a goal, even though its just trying.

Is this a kind of Jewish psychology Lubab?

I don't know if it is.

But remember the second part my signature: "It's not upon you to finish." G-d just wants us to do our part. So you should never regret what you did to get closer to the goal. That effort is our purpose in this world.

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 06:16:29 PM »
I don't know. But I'm thirsty, so I'm gonna go take a drink from it ;)

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 11:32:10 PM »

Good question.

Your main disposition should be one of happiness. However this is a certain kind of happiness which really has the sadness included in it so they don't contradict.

This is the happiness of making progress towards a goal. Everyone needs a goal and to work towards it, so you're happy that you're getting closer to your goal, but you're dissatisfied because you still have more to do. This will never lead you to be passive because your whole happiness is in the progress and your sadness in the progress that's yet to be made.

Thought we call it "sadness"... it's not really a sadness either..it's what we call a "bitterness" i.e. a feeling that we still need to do more.

So even this "sadness" leads you directly into more action.

In the Jewish prayers there are times where we focus on the bitterness (like the Tachanun prayer) while most of the day should be happy. I supposes gentiles should also take time out of their day to look at how much more they could be doing.

Funny, this is how, in a way, I live my life...Ha!
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Kiwi

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 12:00:39 AM »
I don't know. But I'm thirsty, so I'm gonna go take a drink from it ;)
So you drank my drink  ??? :::D