Poll

Should they be banned for Jews?

Yes, all male-female interdancing except between a husband and wife in private should be banned.
10 (28.6%)
Yes, "proms" are not Jewish but general male-female interdancing should not be banned.
4 (11.4%)
No.
21 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Should Jews Participate In Senior Proms?  (Read 121265 times)

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Should senior "proms" be banned for Jews?
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2008, 11:05:57 PM »
We never had them, but who cares, its not a religious thing, of course Jews should go.

I only went to once "dance" in my lifetime and it was from Hebrew School. I didn't have a good time anyway because all the girls had dates so I had no one to dance with anyway.

They called it a "Confirmation dance" because many self-hating Jews have "Confirmations" when they are 15 so they had it for the 10th Graders at my Hebrew School because it was a "community Hebrew School" and not part of one movement so they had to cater to the Deformed people who have Christian celebrations ("Confirmations") disguised as Jewish celebrations in their Deformed synagogues. I never had one and I only went to the dance because I wasn't modest yet then and I wanted to dance with women for lustful reasons. Now I know it is wrong to want to dance with women other than my wife and I regret attending. Maybe G-d punished me for it by making me not have a good time but actually He was probably blessing me by preventing me from sinning. The dance was in a ballroom at a Deform synagogue. I think they had a disco ball hanging from the ceiling and I didn't see the part of the building where the Deforms pray in.

That must explain your bitterness of proms and valentine's day...

He is good kid,  Doc just a little high strung.

He is a good kid...But needs to be steered with the proper Jewish mindset...

Good luck Doc with that  O0

Well, i'll rely on JDLforever...he seems to be the most sensible Jew on the forum..
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline MasterWolf1

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2008, 11:08:01 PM »
My prom was fine but I do have bitter memories.  See the reception was held in Windows of the World which was on top of the Trade Center which was a huge banquet.
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Just Erica

« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2008, 11:09:08 PM »
What dances were you allowed to do, temple?

I never had restrictions on what types of dancing I could do. Of course I never participated in any dancing that was dirty. I like the country dances, because they are traditional. To be honest though, I'm not an expert on dancing. I didn't go to my prom because I could not find a date, which is not entirely true because I didn't want to go with the ones that asked me out.
Well, the guy you saw in my prom picture should have stayed home with his mom. That was one of my only gripes about my prom...he was a wet blanket. As far as dancing though...I wasn't big on it, myself. I actually danced a lot like my mom then... 1-2 stepping and all. lol NOW I know some dances but you'll be happy to know that I can't stand provocative dances.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2008, 11:09:17 PM »
The dancing is the immodest part.

Bumping and grinding are immodest along with many other types of dancing, however, the act of just dancing

yeh somethign like this is good to do with your spouse in private ;)
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline MasterWolf1

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2008, 11:11:19 PM »
They use to have every Saturday evening at a temple in Whitestone, Queens where the older folks use to go every weekend pay I think like 5 bucks and danced a few hours.  And then went home.
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline Tina Greco - Melbourne

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2008, 12:38:13 AM »
We never had them, but who cares, its not a religious thing, of course Jews should go.

I only went to once "dance" in my lifetime and it was from Hebrew School. I didn't have a good time anyway because all the girls had dates so I had no one to dance with anyway.

They called it a "Confirmation dance" because many self-hating Jews have "Confirmations" when they are 15 so they had it for the 10th Graders at my Hebrew School because it was a "community Hebrew School" and not part of one movement so they had to cater to the Deformed people who have Christian celebrations ("Confirmations") disguised as Jewish celebrations in their Deformed synagogues. I never had one and I only went to the dance because I wasn't modest yet then and I wanted to dance with women for lustful reasons. Now I know it is wrong to want to dance with women other than my wife and I regret attending. Maybe G-d punished me for it by making me not have a good time but actually He was probably blessing me by preventing me from sinning. The dance was in a ballroom at a Deform synagogue. I think they had a disco ball hanging from the ceiling and I didn't see the part of the building where the Deforms pray in.

That must explain your bitterness of proms and valentine's day...

He is good kid,  Doc just a little high strung.

He is a good kid...But needs to be steered with the proper Jewish mindset...

Good luck Doc with that  O0

Well, i'll rely on JDLforever...he seems to be the most sensible Jew on the forum..

I agree I think he is very sensible.

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2008, 02:28:00 AM »
I never even went to a High School Dance
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Just Erica

« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2008, 03:55:35 AM »
Don't feel bad. I never went to one either...well besides the military ball, where I met my husband :) and my prom. I wasn't allowed to go anywhere there'd be fun or boys.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2008, 06:50:46 AM »

Why was that?

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2008, 02:49:05 PM »
All our events are girls only, a lot more fun. No smelly boys to ruin it. :)

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2008, 04:15:58 PM »
I went to prom, I dumped the [censored] that night after I found out she was cheating on me. Best day of my life, hope she had a long walk home.

Just Erica

« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2008, 04:55:34 PM »
I removed Imerica's prom picture because it was immodest.

What was immodest about it, Yacov?  My shoulders? Are you sick? Like you said, I'm not Jewish so I can pretty much dress how I'd like... my picture though was just fine and I was beautiful. I could see if I were half naked. What did you expect though.... a Quaker dress, Yacov?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 04:57:27 PM by Just Erica »

Just Erica

« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2008, 05:03:52 PM »

What was immodest about it, Yacov?  My shoulders? Are you sick? Like you said, I'm not Jewish so I can pretty much dress how I'd like... my picture though was just fine and I was beautiful. I could see if I were half naked. What did you expect though.... a Quaker dress, Yacov?

You are not Jewish but this is a Jewish forum and we don't allow immodest pictures on here.

I wasn't naked, Yacov.You are the only person who had a problem with it. There was nothing immodest about my picture. You're just a sad individual especially if you feel threatened by shoulders of a woman.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 05:06:37 PM by Just Erica »

Just Erica

« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2008, 05:07:43 PM »

You are not Jewish but this is a Jewish forum and we don't allow immodest pictures on here.

I wasn't naked, Yacov.You are the only person who had a problem with it. There was nothing immodest about my picture. You're just a sad individual.

Immodest pictures include showing below the neck line, short skirts or dresses (That don't cover below the knees.), and if the arms are showing too much (Strictly speaking, nothing above the elbows should show although some people are less strict and only say to cover the shoulders.).

My dress was floor length, Yacov.

Just Erica

« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2008, 05:14:49 PM »

I wasn't naked, Yacov.You are the only person who had a problem with it. There was nothing immodest about my picture. You're just a sad individual.

Immodest pictures include showing below the neck line, short skirts or dresses (That don't cover below the knees.), and if the arms are showing too much (Strictly speaking, nothing above the elbows should show although some people are less strict and only say to cover the shoulders.).

But you were showing below the neck line. I couldn't even see the bottom of your dress. If you have a problem with the rules of this forum, you are free to leave.

So I was supposed to show the entire dress? I was showing my shoulders...shoulders, Yacov. That wasn't a Playboy Playmate shot...it was SHOULDERS. If you are threatened by shoulders on a woman, you have some real issues, Yacov.

HOWEVER, I'll respect the forum and never post a picture of my shoulders again.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2008, 05:19:19 PM »
Anyone want to see my shoulders? Their nice and hairy.

Just Erica

« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2008, 05:20:32 PM »
lol

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2008, 05:42:41 PM »

Oh Cohen you say the sexist things  :::D :::D

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2008, 05:44:20 PM »

Damn I ever saw it, Erica can you show me in a PM thanks  O0

Offline Nic Brookes

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2008, 05:45:41 PM »
Should senior "proms" be banned for Jews?

In a word, no. There is no obligation for Jews at these proms to dance or dress immodestly, what is the problem with Jews attending social events and having a good time?

Just Erica

« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2008, 05:46:40 PM »

Sure, Skippy...it's on it's way. :)

Just Erica

« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2008, 05:53:17 PM »

But you were showing below the neck line. I couldn't even see the bottom of your dress. If you have a problem with the rules of this forum, you are free to leave.

So I was supposed to show the entire dress? I was showing my shoulders...shoulders, Yacov. That wasn't a Playboy Playmate shot...it was SHOULDERS. If you are threatened by shoulders on a woman, you have some real issues, Yacov.

HOWEVER, I'll respect the forum and never post a picture of my shoulders again.

Can you read? I wasn't complaining about not showing the entire dress. I was only complaining that the dress didn't cover your shoulders.

I read very well and like I said they are SHOULDERS. I'm not showing ANYTHING ELSE...and about the length of the dress... you can actually see how long the dress is in the photo. The photo cut the dress off at mid calf...it was floor length.

*I miss that size...I mean dress...* LOL

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2008, 05:53:23 PM »

Sure, Skippy...it's on it's way. :)

Very nice love the colour and very cute the fella had a bow tie to match  O0

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2008, 05:55:23 PM »

I don't have a problem with it but it's not for me to decide whether it is immodest or not. It is for Halacha to decide and I think it might be showing too much neckline according to Halacha.

I know what Halacha says I was only interested in your personal opinion, thank you  :)

Offline Nic Brookes

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2008, 05:58:09 PM »
Should senior "proms" be banned for Jews?

In a word, no. There is no obligation for Jews at these proms to dance or dress immodestly, what is the problem with Jews attending social events and having a good time?

You are not Jewish. Who gave you the authority to decide Jewish Law?

There is nothing wrong with attending social events. The problem is that men and women dancing together is immodest, period. Men aren't even supposed to see women dancing among women because it is immodest to see the form of a woman dancing. That is why the mechitza at a Jewish wedding is not made so you can see through it but the mechitza in a synagogue is made with wholes where the women can look across and see the men praying. The second is fine as long as the men don't stare at the women through the wholes. It's just meant to keep a separation between the genders.

This is my Gentile point of view, your question by using the word "Should" is implying that you are inviting all points of view, and this is mine. I simply can't believe that dancing is immodest! Is going to watch the ballet forbidden? Social events are, by definition, social, and I would say that it is morally wrong for Jews to be forbidden from mixing with Gentiles on account of this. However, this is coming from my position as a Gentile (as I cannot see why this is immodest) and I respect your views, even though I would disagree with them.