Author Topic: Yes, let's lessen our dependence on GAS, but....  (Read 957 times)

Offline Zoran

• Full JTFer
Yes, let's lessen our dependence on GAS, but....
« on: January 30, 2008, 11:42:57 PM »
People preach a lot about "lessening dependence on foreign oil" and "finding alternatives to oil", but most people are unable do anything or are talking about what I will mention now...lessening our dependence on foreign GAS for our vehicles.

But what of the other uses of foreign oil? There are many, but I want to discuss the most prolific one....it's something everybody uses day in and day out. In fact, most people are staring at it or using it as they read this post.

What I'm talking about, of course, is plastic. The main ingredient in the making of plastics is oil. Where does this oil come from? The same place that the gas for our cars does.

So, in order to ELIMINATE our reliance on oil in general (and more specifically, arabic oil), we must also find a viable replacement for plastics. There are many options currently available (carbon fiber, other fibers) which are not yet economically feasible but may be in the near future (or possibly a derivative of these might be economically feasible).

Just something to think about when trying to reduce/eliminate dependence on oil...don't forget the plastics.