Poll

Do you like shawarma?

Yes, I like it all ways the same.
10 (38.5%)
Yes, I like it in pita best.
6 (23.1%)
Yes, I like it in laffa (Iraqi bread.) the best.
7 (26.9%)
No.
3 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Do you like shawarma?  (Read 11817 times)

admin

Do you like shawarma?
« on: February 07, 2008, 12:26:45 PM »
I like it in laffa best. Laffa is a wrap similar to a tortilla or the bread of a gyro.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 12:28:33 PM by Yacov Menashe Ben Rachamim »

Offline MasterWolf1

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
Re: Do you like shawarma?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 12:53:09 PM »
I tried some on Jewel Ave. Here in Queens its a huge Jewish community and it isn't bad at all. I liked it.
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 12:54:15 PM »
i like shwaffals. that's shwarma with falafel...from Ben Yehuda street.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 12:58:59 PM »
Shawarma is the best. Especially if you can get lamb instead of turkey.
Post questions here for the ASK JUDEA TORAH SHOW

my blog: Yehudi-Nation

Who is truly wise? He who can see the future. I see tommorow today and I want to end it - Rabbi Meir Daweedh Kahana

Offline Dexter

• Master JTFer
  • צֶדֶק צֶדֶק, תִּרְדֹּף
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 01:11:58 PM »
I like it a lot! I like it with a lot of Skhug.
Not a foreign land we took and not with foreign possession but a land that belong to our ancestors that was occupied without a trial. And when we had the opportunity, we took our land back.
-Shimon Maccabee's answer to Antiochus VII Sidetes.

"When fighting monsters, be wary not to become one... When you gaze into the abyss, it also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 01:16:43 PM »
(Lamb) Shwarma in laffe(also called iraqi pitta) is the real deal. It`s the ultimate food for men.

One time I was out with my friend and we could not find a shwarma place that was open. We were very upset, and he said something along the lines of -  shwarma is his masculinity!

There`s certainly something in the male personality that drives one to feel so content and satisfied with all that meat.. (unfortunately, shwarmas in london have recently got smaller. shwarma in laffe is no longer filling, which is a big dissapointment. But it is still the best portion and quality for the money)

One time I was talking to a non-jewish friend about where we could both eat..  what kosher place.  So I gave him the lowdown,  "this place the portions are rubbish, so forget it".  "the portions are alright.".    "this place the portions are the best, and the shwarma is decent. I think we should go there"

He burst out laughing, and said that he had recently listened to Jackie Mason live. And he said that when jews talk about eating out, the first and main  and only thing they talk about is the portion!

He then told me how Jackie Mason went on to complain about how in chinese places you hardly get any food, you just get a plate!

Before shwarmas came - with the proliferation of israeli restaurants - .  I used to just have beef burgers.  But shwarmas are much better. Simply because you get more meat for the price.  Better than paying for 3 burgers!  (even when I was a skinny 10 year old kid,, I needed at least 2 burgers!)
And with burgers it is part scam, you are eating as much bread as you eat meat.

With shwarmas, you get all meat.

I used to just have meat, and hummus..   Just because I loved all the meat.  But sometimes they give you the same amount of meat anyway even if you have other stuff in there. Nowadays I have it with hummus, techina, mushroom, aubergine,  (aubergine is controversial!).  I don`t do salad, that just takes up too mcuh space.. I fear they will put less meat in.

Girls tend not to be able to have a shwarma in laffe. Not just its size, they don`t seem to like all the meat..  I have seen them have it in pita though.

Man seems to have a meat drive!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 01:21:05 PM by q_q_ »

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 01:41:00 PM »
I have never eaten one, but I will try to get it, when I will be in a greater city.  :)
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Jasmina

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 01:43:03 PM »
 Yes I like it! ;)
The whole system works because everyone is not mentally ill on the same day!!!!

Offline Dexter

• Master JTFer
  • צֶדֶק צֶדֶק, תִּרְדֹּף
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 01:57:43 PM »
I have never eaten one, but I will try to get it, when I will be in a greater city.  :)
Try to search in the Turkish immigrants areas in Germany.
Not a foreign land we took and not with foreign possession but a land that belong to our ancestors that was occupied without a trial. And when we had the opportunity, we took our land back.
-Shimon Maccabee's answer to Antiochus VII Sidetes.

"When fighting monsters, be wary not to become one... When you gaze into the abyss, it also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 02:01:19 PM »
there is shwarma and there is shwarma.

I think only jewish places call it shwarma.  Non jewish places just call them Kebabs.

A non jewish friend told me that the meat in the shwarma at the kosher places, is better than the Hallal places which is better than the regular places. So regular places are the worst.

A jewish american/canadian friend told me that shwarma is hardly available in america.  (or maybe it is but not as good as in london).. Golders Green in London has lots and lots of shwarma places. 

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 02:30:19 PM »
Try to search in the Turkish immigrants areas in Germany.

No I will never buy food from Muzzies, because the sell in many cases scruffy meat. You became ill, when you eat it, because the date of expiry is exhausted.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gammelfleisch

If German compagnies have old meat, they sell it in order that the customer will make animal food from it. But the Muslimes don't do it. They sell this fea-bitten meat to the public in a lot of their restaurants.  :(

But perhaps is in Frankfurt or Berlin a Jewish Restaurant, where I am able to buy it.  :)
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 03:42:16 PM »
Yummy! Mixed Shawarma, with both chicken and meat is tasty.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 04:13:24 PM »

the obvious question is ,

since when is chicken not meat?!

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 04:15:18 PM »

the obvious question is ,

since when is chicken not meat?!

I meant lamb. I never really link Chicken to the word meat, my mistake. ;D

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 05:02:24 PM »
No, shawarma should be banned!  >:(

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 05:40:37 PM »
No, shawarma should be banned!  >:(

;D

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 05:45:18 PM »
As long as it has Pita and it is in Israel it is the best.
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2008, 06:33:20 PM »
Golders Green in London has lots and lots of shwarma places.

Solly's and Dizengoff's, right?

and The White House, and Lemonade

And GG is a small area. It`s largely one road!

The white house probably has the softest meat.    Alot of people like Lemonade. I have not done sollys for a while, or Dizengoff. I have eaten in all of them.

Shwarmas are really an israeli thing, takeaway. 

If you want to sit down and eat a proper meal, then all those places are (probably) rubbish!

Sit down, proper meal, is more an ashkenazi thing.. Traditional ashkenazi. The only place is Blooms. It is expensive though. About 30 quid a person. You get a proper 3 course meal.  a starter like chicken wings, soup, Tongue, dessert.  Blooms is a place you sit down and know you will get a decent meal. Some of the Israeli places serve burnt meat (shwarmas aren`t burnt though!).   The only thing I got to those israeli places for, is  Shwarma. Largely because the best value option though for how filling and tasty it is, compared to other things on their menu, which are certainly alot smaller. 

I don`t normally eat at blooms, because it is expensive. But if it is a family thing, I do. Or just me and my dad, then I do.  My parents can afford it!

« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 06:37:10 PM by q_q_ »

Offline Tina Greco - Melbourne

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2008, 06:35:50 PM »
I love the lamb best  O0 O0 O0

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2008, 06:38:36 PM »

yeah man, err, woman.  We are talking about lamb shwarma ;-)

nobody eats chicken shwarma, except Sarah!

chicken is what they offer you if there is no more lamb on the thing!

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2008, 06:40:16 PM »
Nowadays I have it with hummus, techina, mushroom, aubergine,  (aubergine is controversial!).

Why is it controversial?

not really controversial in any serious way.

kashrut is fine !

I just said controversial, because alot of people would not like the taste of aubergine, too weird, so would not like it in their shwarma !

Everybody tends to agree on hummus and techina though!

Offline Tina Greco - Melbourne

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2008, 06:40:58 PM »

yeah man, err, woman.  We are talking about lamb shwarma ;-)

nobody eats chicken shwarma, except Sarah!

chicken is what they offer you if there is no more lamb on the thing!

lol here you can get lamb, beef, chicken and ....................pork  :-\

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2008, 06:47:17 PM »
I like shwarma had one yesterday with spice and zhchog [sp] but i like Roast with potatoes
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Ambiorix

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • There is no "Istanbul"
    • Brussels Journal
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2008, 06:53:49 PM »
No.

In my country, pitta is a Turkish muslim business.

I refuse to pay money , for products of muslims.
Turkey must get out of NATO. NATO must get out of Kosovo-Serbia. Croats must get out of Crajina. All muslims must get out of Christian and Jewish land. Turks must get out of Cyprus. Turks must get out of "Istanbul". "Palestinians" must get out of Israel. Israel must become independent from USA.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2008, 07:02:07 PM »
yaakov-

aubergine probably is egg plant. I just call it whatever the guy serving it calls it, that way communication works.     I say what is that, he says what he calls it. I call it that.

I have not really tried it, but I think "milk and honey" is expensive and small portions. the menu looks bad. It seems the only good value thing - tasty, large portion, is shwarma.

You mentioned chicken in the 9 days. Googling "the 9 days" chicken, had 2 links that it is not allowed.

Shwarma prices have gone up. They were 5 pounds, now they are 6.50.

btw, incase anybody didn`t realise. when I said quid, that means pounds, it is british slang for pounds.

and yes, Blooms (the decent sit down place) is around 30 quid a person! Maybe twenty something quid if you order less expensive things.