Author Topic: Huckabee Easily Wins Republican Caucuses In Kansas  (Read 3945 times)

admin

Huckabee Easily Wins Republican Caucuses In Kansas
« on: February 09, 2008, 07:56:53 PM »
Huckabee Easily Wins Republican Caucuses In Kansas
Chris Maddaloni for The New York Times

Mike Huckabee greeting supporters Saturday at the University of Maryland. Mr. Huckabee said he would remain in the presidential race.

By KATE ZERNIKE and PAUL VITELLO
Published: February 9, 2008

Mike Huckabee won the Kansas caucuses by a wide margin Saturday, showing he is still attracting voters even as the majority of the Republican Party is beginning to coalesce around John McCain as the nominee.

Both the Republicans and the Democrats, Senators Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama, were competing in caucuses in Washington and primaries in Louisiana on Saturday. Democrats were also holding caucuses in Nebraska and the Virgin Islands.

On the Democratic side, both campaigns were giving the advantage to Mr. Obama, who has done well in caucuses, and among black voters, who make up a large chunk of the electorate in Louisiana.

Still, the Democratic contests were expected to do little to settle the muddle that resulted after Super Tuesday, the wave of coast-to-coast contests that a year ago was expected to be a kind of crowning for the party’s nominee.

With the Democratic contest so close, excitement ran high, as did turnout. In Washington, the Democratic Party reported record-breaking numbers of caucus-goers, with early totals suggesting turnout would be nearly be nearly double what it was in 2004 — itself a record year — when 100,000 Democrats caucused.

In Nebraska, the Web site of the Omaha World-Herald reported that organizers at two caucus sites were so overrun by crowds that they abandoned traditional caucusing and asked voters to drop makeshift scrap-paper ballots into a box instead. Traffic backed up on Highway 370 in Sarpy County, south of Omaha, when thousands of voters showed up at a precinct where organizers had planned for hundreds.

In Louisiana, preliminary results of a survey of voters leaving their polling places showed that nearly half of those casting ballots were black. As a group, African-Americans have overwhelmingly favored Obama in earlier primaries, helping him to victories in South Carolina, Alabama and Georgia.

One in seven Democratic voters and about one in 10 Republicans said Hurricane Katrina had caused their families severe hardship from which they have not recovered.

There was another indication of the impact the storm had on the state. Early results suggested that northern Louisiana accounted for a larger share of the electorate than in the past, presumably the result of the decline of population in the hurricane-battered New Orleans area.

The exit poll was conducted by Edison Media Research and Mitofsky International for The Associated Press and the television networks.

Earlier in the day, Mr. Huckabee told reporters he had no intention of dropping out until one of the Republican candidates amassed the 1,191 delegates needed to be the nominee. He made the comment at a news conference after he spoke to the Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington.

Mr. McCain is far enough ahead in the delegate race coming out of Super Tuesday that his advisers have said it would be all but impossible for anyone else to win the nomination. The other chief contender, Mitt Romney, bowed to those odds when he suspended his campaign on Thursday. But Mr. Huckabee, a pastor before he became governor of Arkansas, said, “I didn’t major in math. I majored in miracles, and I still believe in them, too.”

Asked if he saw any cost to staying in the race, Mr. Huckabee thought for a moment before answering: no.

“I have nothing else to do,” he said with a smile.

Mr. McCain’s campaign said the results on Saturday made little difference. “Our campaign fully expected to fall short in the Kansas caucus,” said a spokeswoman, Jill Hazelbaker. “John McCain is the presumptive nominee in this race and our path forward is unchanged by today’s results. Our focus remains the same: uniting the Republican Party to defeat Democrats in 2008.”

Not wanting to take the race for granted, Mr. McCain had given up plans to travel to a security conference in Germany over the weekend. Instead, he spent Friday campaigning in Kansas as well as Washington, which was also holding caucuses Saturday, and Virginia, where the primary is Tuesday.

Still facing fierce resistance from prominent conservatives, Mr. McCain was spending Saturday making phone calls in an effort to line up more endorsements and unite the party behind him.

Mr. McCain has 703 delegates so far, Mr. Huckabee, 190, and Ron Paul, a former congressman from Texas, 42.

On the Democratic side, Mrs. Clinton and Mr. Obama had shadowed each other Friday campaigning in Washington, the biggest prize of the day. Mr. Obama had scored a last minute endorsement from the Democratic governor, Christine Gregoire, but Mrs. Clinton had the endorsements of both the state’s senators, Maria Cantwell and Patty Murray.

On Saturday, Mrs. Clinton and Mr. Obama switched coasts, campaigning in Maine, which holds its caucuses on Sunday.

With the Saturday events, 29 of the 50 states have selected delegates for the Democratic Party, according to The Associated Press.

Two others, Michigan and Florida, held renegade primaries and the Democratic National Committee has vowed not to seat any delegates chosen at either of them.

Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia and voting by Americans overseas are next, on Tuesday. Then follows a brief intermission, followed by a string of election nights, some crowded, some not.

The date of March 4 looms large, with 370 delegates in primaries in Ohio, Texas, Rhode Island and Vermont.

On the campaign trail in Lewiston, Me., on Saturday, Mrs. Clinton continued to emphasize that her health care package made her a better contrast, and thus a better opponent, to Mr. McCain.

On the day before the Maine Democratic caucuses, Clinton disparaged Mr. Obama as being soft on the issue of health care, an issue she has made a centerpiece of her campaign.

“I am the only candidate left in this race on either side who is committed to universal health care,” she said. “It is a core value, it is a human right. It is not a privilege.”

She characterized Mr. McCain, as a tough opponent, but one who would not make it as much of a priority to withdraw from the war in Iraq.

“He will be a formidable candidate on national security, on national defense,” Mrs. Clinton said. “I disagree with him. But we’ve got to have someone who can stand there on that stage and take him on.”

Mrs. Clinton added that if Mr. McCain were elected, “I don’t know how long we will be in Iraq.”

She also spoke highly of John Edwards, who dropped out of the race before the Super Tuesday primaries.

“I want to compliment Senator Edwards, who is a fighter,” Mrs. Clinton said. “There is a lot that John and I have in common. And I intend to ask John Edwards to be a part of anything I do.”

A campaign spokeswoman said that Mrs. Clinton was not necessarily naming Edwards as a running mate in the event of her nomination.

Mr. Obama, also campaigning in Maine, looked ahead to the general election, criticizing Mr. McCain, without mentioning his Democratic rival.

Mr. McCain initially “stood up to George Bush and opposed his first cuts,” Mr. Obama said at Nicky’s Diner in Bangor, The Associated Press reported. Now the senator is calling for continuing those tax cuts, which grant significant breaks to high-income taxpayers, “in his rush to embrace the worst of the Bush legacy.”

Mrs. Clinton’s advisers spent Friday trying to lower expectations for her performance not just in the Washington caucuses, but in nominating contests throughout February.

“The states in play this month do favor Senator Obama,” said Howard Wolfson, a Clinton spokesman, during a conference call with reporters. He cited Mr. Obama’s endorsements and his lead in the polls in states like Virginia. “We feel considerably better about the states on March 4.”

Kate Zernike reported from New York and Paul Vitello from Washington. Steven Lee Myers and David D. Kirkpatrick contributed reporting from Washington and Joel Elliott from Lewiston, Me..

« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 07:59:29 PM by Yacov Menashe Ben Rachamim »

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Huckabee Easily Wins Republican Caucuses In Kansas
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 08:41:24 PM »
I would hope for a miracle and have Huckabee win. Those two pieces of drek, Hnanity and Limbaugh are right now even more pro Mccain than Huckabee. Just was watching Hannity and Colmes on Fox and Hannity thinks that Mccain is trying to make peace with conservatives. What a joke
I am urinating on a Koran.

newman

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 08:58:34 PM »
I can't believe ANY republican would even consider McCain.

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 09:22:16 PM »
Let's face it, Huckabee is finished. 
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 09:26:27 PM »
I am still hopeful for Huckabee. It is a long race and it is far from over.
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 09:30:18 PM »
I hope Romney gives his delegates to Huckabee.

I hope so too but I think Romney is backing McCain. Why he is doing that I have no clue
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 09:35:17 PM »

I hope so too but I think Romney is backing McCain. Why he is doing that I have no clue

Probably because McCain is more electable than Huckabee would be in the general election. 
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 09:38:10 PM »
you may be right but on the issue of Israel Huckabee is the man
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 10:08:05 PM »
I think JTF should go back on primary state websites to support Huckabee.

Althought it is a long shot for huck to win, he is the best candidate..even if he loses to hitlery and obama, Gd forbid.

I agree with you yaacov.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 10:13:55 PM »
I think JTF should go back on primary state websites to support Huckabee.

I agree.
Post questions here for the ASK JUDEA TORAH SHOW

my blog: Yehudi-Nation

Who is truly wise? He who can see the future. I see tommorow today and I want to end it - Rabbi Meir Daweedh Kahana

Offline JTFFan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 10:15:04 PM »
I can't believe ANY republican would even consider McCain.

I can't either he's the most liberal one running! :D

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 10:29:44 PM »
Huckabee is the Best candidate still left in the running... No one is as good on all the issues combined.
It's a long shot but he's still OUR man as far as I'm concerned!

Offline irGUN

• New JTFer

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2008, 11:05:15 PM »
Huckabee is Leading in ALL of the other states as well...  O0
Louisiana,Washington, Kansas are ALL in Huckabee's hand Now!

Offline Lubab

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 02:14:00 AM »

Probably because McCain is more electable than Huckabee would be in the general election. 

Why does everyone still say this. I believe this business about McCain being so electible is a lie perpetuated by the media who wants the next President to be a Democrat. I think Huckabee is more electible than McCain in a general election because he can garner conservative as well as moderate (and even some liberal) votes. McCain abandons true conservatives, a dying breed though they may be.

McCain is also very old and in bad health.  A lot of people woon't want to lok at such such an old guy day and and day out.
If it's liberalism they want, they can have Hillary or Obama, nobody needs McCain.

"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2008, 02:35:16 AM »
I would hope for a miracle and have Huckabee win. Those two pieces of drek, Hnanity and Limbaugh are right now even more pro Mccain than Huckabee. Just was watching Hannity and Colmes on Fox and Hannity thinks that Mccain is trying to make peace with conservatives. What a joke

One of McCain's surrogates, Jack Kemp, was accusing Hannity of bashing McCain.  So he tried to appease Kemp by giving McCain some compliments.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2008, 02:37:29 AM »
Let's face it, Huckabee is finished. 

The two scenarios are that either McCain gets the necessary number of delegates to clinch the nomination or it's a broken convention.  If the latter could somehow happen, then conservatives could protest that the GOP not select McCain at the convention. 

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2008, 02:42:37 AM »
Huckabee is Leading in ALL of the other states as well...  O0
Louisiana,Washington, Kansas are ALL in Huckabee's hand Now!

I don't think they've finished counting Washington St. but McCain caught up and is ahead by a couple percentage points.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2008, 02:45:10 AM »

Why does everyone still say this. I believe this business about McCain being so electible is a lie perpetuated by the media who wants the next President to be a Democrat. I think Huckabee is more electible than McCain in a general election because he can garner conservative as well as moderate (and even some liberal) votes. McCain abandons true conservatives, a dying breed though they may be.

McCain is also very old and in bad health.  A lot of people woon't want to lok at such such an old guy day and and day out.
If it's liberalism they want, they can have Hillary or Obama, nobody needs McCain.

You are correct. 

McCain is not electable because if he's the nominee, conservatives won't be enthusiastic enough so there won't be many who will volunteer for his campaign. 

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2008, 02:45:40 AM »
It would be so weird that out of a strange twist of events, Huckabee ends up being the Republican nominee.

A miracle and perhaps a gift from Gd...but who knows...Huck is hardly a gift, but compared to what is out there it would be equivalent to a polished quarter verus a bunch of dirty pennies.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2008, 02:56:19 AM »
Huckabee doesn't sound like he's dropping out any time soon.  I'm planning on doing a mini-campaign and put an anti-McCain, pro-Huckabee post on craigslist in the states left with elections.  It's a long shot, but couldn't hurt.  I still have a chance to vote for Huckabee since I vote with Ohio, and have convinced voters in my family to do the same.  It may be futile to support Huckabee now but it's all we've got.

On Tuesday, it will be D.C., Maryland and Virginia.  The most focus of the three should be placed on Virginia.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2008, 03:29:35 AM »
Mccain vs. Obama is a certain defeat for Republicans.  Mccain will be perceived as too old by the moderates and quasi-liberal swing voters who will see youthful vibrance in his opponent in the debates and a "vision for change."  Mccain is 72 years old.  Even without health problems, he has health problems.  Obama is young, "black," and vigorous.  Image goes a long way in this country.