Author Topic: The Ask Lubab "Show"  (Read 97887 times)

Offline shimon

• Full JTFer
Re: The Ask Lubab "Show"
« Reply #150 on: March 03, 2008, 05:28:47 PM »
lubab what do you think about the custom to spit on a church when you pass it. i know that many chassidim spit on the floor when they say "shehem mishtachvim le havel verik". do you do this custom?
thank you, shimon

Offline Lubab

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #151 on: March 03, 2008, 05:41:35 PM »
lubab what do you think about the custom to spit on a church when you pass it. i know that many chassidim spit on the floor when they say "shehem mishtachvim le havel verik". do you do this custom?
thank you, shimon

Hi shimon. I've never heard of the custom to spit when passing a church, though I think I might have heard something about saying a particular passuk.

Yes I do spit at that part in Alienu. This custom of chassidim is written up in the Rebbe's Hayom Yom.
"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline Dominater96

• Senior JTFer
Re: Ask Lubab
« Reply #152 on: March 03, 2008, 06:48:41 PM »
Lubab, I was wondering what you thought of the Yeshivish Lakewood type jews. They are famous for their hatred of Lubavitch as their original Rabbi was very anti Lubavitch. "Rabbi" Kotler was famous for publicly spreading lies about the lubavitcher rebbe. I think that he was vile.

Well I don't take insults from such people very seriously. Rambam says that if an adult serves G-d because they want to go to Olam Haba they are an "Am Haaretz" (ignoramous). So when an ignoramous insults my group, I don't take it very seriously.

I have personally spoken with many litvaks who freely admitted to me that their observance of the Torah is based on their desire to get into Olam Haba. I would venture to say that most of the students in Lakewood-type yeshivot also feel this way.

As far as Shach, the Rebbe didn't think much of him and neither do I. He was rejected when he applied to be a Rosh Yeshiva for a Chabad yeshiva long before he was very famous because he didn't know Talmud Yerushalmi well enough. I feel he had a personal vendetta against Chabad ever since then which was the source of his vile and nearly always unfounded attacks against the Rebbe and Chabad.

With all that said, they are Jews, and I love each one of them with a full heart, screwed up though they may be.

We should note that not all Litvak Rabbis are or were like this. Rabbi J.B. Soloveitchik had a wonderful relationship with the Rebbe and attended several of his farbrengens and raved about them.

The former Rosh Yeshiva of the Mir (forgot his name) also used to speak glowingly about the Rebbe's Gaonus (genius) in Torah knowledge.

Rabbi Yosef Ber Soloveitchik?ZT"L. I am suprised, I figured that since he was from the Soloveitchik dynasty, who are the epitamy of Mitnagdim, he would be as mitnagdish (if thats a word) as you can get.

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #153 on: March 03, 2008, 07:07:42 PM »
Lubab, I was wondering what you thought of the Yeshivish Lakewood type jews. They are famous for their hatred of Lubavitch as their original Rabbi was very anti Lubavitch. "Rabbi" Kotler was famous for publicly spreading lies about the lubavitcher rebbe. I think that he was vile.

Well I don't take insults from such people very seriously. Rambam says that if an adult serves G-d because they want to go to Olam Haba they are an "Am Haaretz" (ignoramous). So when an ignoramous insults my group, I don't take it very seriously.

I have personally spoken with many litvaks who freely admitted to me that their observance of the Torah is based on their desire to get into Olam Haba. I would venture to say that most of the students in Lakewood-type yeshivot also feel this way.

As far as Shach, the Rebbe didn't think much of him and neither do I. He was rejected when he applied to be a Rosh Yeshiva for a Chabad yeshiva long before he was very famous because he didn't know Talmud Yerushalmi well enough. I feel he had a personal vendetta against Chabad ever since then which was the source of his vile and nearly always unfounded attacks against the Rebbe and Chabad.

With all that said, they are Jews, and I love each one of them with a full heart, screwed up though they may be.

We should note that not all Litvak Rabbis are or were like this. Rabbi J.B. Soloveitchik had a wonderful relationship with the Rebbe and attended several of his farbrengens and raved about them.

The former Rosh Yeshiva of the Mir (forgot his name) also used to speak glowingly about the Rebbe's Gaonus (genius) in Torah knowledge.

Rabbi Yosef Ber Soloveitchik?ZT"L. I am suprised, I figured that since he was from the Soloveitchik dynasty, who are the epitamy of Mitnagdim, he would be as mitnagdish (if thats a word) as you can get.
So?  Shivim Panim L'Torah!  The Rebbe and the Rov were both big fans of each other. 

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #154 on: March 03, 2008, 09:17:03 PM »
Congratulations Lubab,
   Your Ask Lubab segment seems to be  a hit with our members...  O0
  Q: What do you recommend for a Long and Happy Life?

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #155 on: March 03, 2008, 10:49:39 PM »
Congratulations Lubab,

Thanks Dan!
What a great question.

So much to say. There are so many things that go into a happy and long life and each person has their own challenges they need to work on to achieve that. The Torah of course hold that key to a long and happy life. But look how many books it takes to explain what the Torah is trying to tell us to do?

When we boil it all down to its essentials we come to the following conclusion:
"What is hateful to you, don't do onto others". That's really the key to a happy and long life.

Sounds so simple and yet almost nobody gets it right.
"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline Dominater96

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #156 on: March 03, 2008, 11:31:35 PM »
Great answer!  Thanks so much.  On the marketing side of things we live in a society in the USA with so much religious corruption. In LA, Baltimore, NYC... where ever, there are inner city churches on the verge of bankruptcy that have little old ladies giving every extra penny they have to the church while the pastor drives around in a fancy car and lives in a rich suburban enclave.  So when outsiders read a line about giving money to a good cause and G-d will bless you they become suspicious because it appears that the majority of people who use that line in the USA are incredibly corrupt.  Here at JTF we are trying to attract new people and that probably is not the best line for new people, but if the old people properly understand it like you explained then they will be more likely to give money that can be used to attract new people in different ways.

Now 2 more questions.
1. Do you come from a religious family?
2. If you encountered a 30 year old Jewish male who wanted to become more religious but he had some problems, what problem would you tell him to eliminate first in order to become more religious? Here are his problems:
a. Unmarried
b. Has had relations with non-jewish women and continues to do so
c. Does not Keep Kosher
d. Does not Keep the sabbath
e. Does not goto an Orthodox Shul, only goes to Shul on: High Holidays, to avoid the fast of the first born before Passover, and on Shavuot
f. Does not Study Torah

Keep in mind some of these problems are easier to eliminate than others. It is also noteworthy to mention that he has already eliminated Pig and Crab from his diet, he has always fasted on yom kippor, he fasts on Tisha B'av, he gives to Jewish charity on occasion, a Lubavitch rabbi gave him a mezuzah that he properly put on his front door entance.

Thanks

Not knowing this person it's a difficult thing to answer.
In general he should focus on doing positive things before stopping himself from doing negative things.
In general he should focus on things that are easy for him to do and things that he is excited about. This will make the more difficult things less difficult.

I would put regular laying of tefillin at the top of the list of positive things he could do if he is willing to do that.
After that I would put Torah learning, and keeping Kosher. All three of those are part of the Lubavitcher Rebbe's 10 mitzvah campaigns which were geared to help fix up the world so all three of those are wonderful things to start doing.

Whatt  :o , with all due respect I thought its the exact opposite. Whats Tefillin worth if one is sleeping with a gentile women (the worst sin in Judaism), I agree that the first positive thing one should do is learn Torah but thats because by learning Torah one is able to understand the mistakes and do Tishuva G-d willing.
 Anyway in Judaism isn't it better not doing a sin, then doing a Mitzva.
 I would think that not doing the Averot would come first (right away without an exception, stop sleeping with women, both not married Jewish and gentile women) and keeping Shabbat - which is the covenent between the Jewish nation and G-d, repeatedly mentioned in the Torah and to learn Torah which will open the mind and soul and would give the person the chance of making Real Tishuva.
Why is sleeping with a Non Jewish women the worst sin? A non Jew isnt a Niddah, and A niddah is deoraytah, and a Jewish lasy not married and not from mikveh is always a niddah.

Offline Dominater96

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #157 on: March 03, 2008, 11:39:42 PM »

So?  Shivim Panim L'Torah!  The Rebbe and the Rov were both big fans of each other. 

Thats great. Im in the process od reading the Rav's writings, and I am planning on attending YU next year. Lubab, what are your thoughts about Yeshiva University?

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #158 on: March 04, 2008, 12:07:11 PM »
Congratulations Lubab,

Thanks Dan!
What a great question.

So much to say. There are so many things that go into a happy and long life and each person has their own challenges they need to work on to achieve that. The Torah of course hold that key to a long and happy life. But look how many books it takes to explain what the Torah is trying to tell us to do?

"What is hateful to you, don't do onto others". That's really the key to a happy and long life.

I just want to add a couple of things because while my answer above is true it doesn't usually hit home with people about what they are supposed to do.

So here are some "other" things you should do to have a happy and long life:

a) Search for the Truth
b) Try to Live the Truth
c) Be willing to fight for the Truth
d) Play your life like it's a game. And play the game like it's your life. Fight for what is right, but no matter what happens realize that it is all part of G-d's plan, so enjoy it!

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #159 on: March 04, 2008, 12:14:24 PM »

Thats great. Im in the process od reading the Rav's writings, and I am planning on attending YU next year. Lubab, what are your thoughts about Yeshiva University?

I went there myself for two years. It's hard to give an easy answer. I disagree with the whole Torah and Maddah philsophy. I believe there is no greater Madda than Torah.

Yet YU gives frum people a chance to get a degree in a (slightly more) kosher environment.

Your experience will depend greatly on what "group" you decide to be a part of. They fall into neat categories at YU: white shirt, zionist with the sandals, not so frum etc.

The secular professors are very qualified but VERY left wing in the social sciences department. Get ready for big debates. But don't debate too much if you want a good grade.

I suppose the professors would be even more left wing in any other major university in New York but I would expect better from YU.

With all of that said, it's still nice to be able to go to college and have mezuzot on every doorpost.

P.S. They also waste TONS of money that could be used to help the Jewish people. They receive donations in the millions of dollars and I have no clue where it all goes. They could've saved Israel many times over with their cash and the fact that they instead use it to try to impress the gentiles with their fancy buildings and professors is quite sickening if I really think about it.

Chaim's got some more dirt of them he can tell you if you ask on AskJTF.

Use the school for what it's worth if you can afford it (super expensive) and I think you'll be okay.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #160 on: March 04, 2008, 04:17:25 PM »
Great answer!  Thanks so much.  On the marketing side of things we live in a society in the USA with so much religious corruption. In LA, Baltimore, NYC... where ever, there are inner city churches on the verge of bankruptcy that have little old ladies giving every extra penny they have to the church while the pastor drives around in a fancy car and lives in a rich suburban enclave.  So when outsiders read a line about giving money to a good cause and G-d will bless you they become suspicious because it appears that the majority of people who use that line in the USA are incredibly corrupt.  Here at JTF we are trying to attract new people and that probably is not the best line for new people, but if the old people properly understand it like you explained then they will be more likely to give money that can be used to attract new people in different ways.

Now 2 more questions.
2. If you encountered a 30 year old Jewish male who wanted to become more religious but he had some problems, what problem would you tell him to eliminate first in order to become more religious? Here are his problems:
a. Unmarried
c. Does not Keep Kosher
e. Does not goto an Orthodox Shul, only goes to Shul on: High Holidays, to avoid the fast of the first born before Passover, and on Shavuot
f. Does not Study Torah

Keep in mind some of these problems are easier to eliminate than others. It is also noteworthy to mention that he has already eliminated Pig and Crab from his diet, he has always fasted on yom kippor, he fasts on Tisha B'av, he gives to Jewish charity on occasion, a Lubavitch rabbi gave him a mezuzah that he properly put on his front door entance.

Thanks

In general he should focus on doing positive things before stopping himself from doing negative things.
In general he should focus on things that are easy for him to do and things that he is excited about. This will make the more difficult things less difficult.

I would put regular laying of tefillin at the top of the list of positive things he could do if he is willing to do that.
After that I would put Torah learning, and keeping Kosher. All three of those are part of the Lubavitcher Rebbe's 10 mitzvah campaigns which were geared to help fix up the world so all three of those are wonderful things to start doing.

Whatt  :o , with all due respect I thought its the exact opposite. Whats Tefillin worth if one is sleeping with a gentile women (the worst sin in Judaism), I agree that the first positive thing one should do is learn Torah but thats because by learning Torah one is able to understand the mistakes and do Tishuva G-d willing.
 I would think that not doing the Averot would come first (right away without an exception, stop sleeping with women, both not married Jewish and gentile women) and keeping Shabbat - which is the covenent between the Jewish nation and G-d, repeatedly mentioned in the Torah and to learn Torah which will open the mind and soul and would give the person the chance of making Real Tishuva.
Why is sleeping with a Non Jewish women the worst sin? A non Jew isnt a Niddah, and A niddah is deoraytah, and a Jewish lasy not married and not from mikveh is always a niddah.

According to the Zohar (If you listined to the lecture "intermarriage" also "Gan Eden Baal Tishuva Pinchas" (something like that)- on Torahanytime.com - R' Mizrai's page.
   Also about college- either skipp it alltogether, im their 3rd year and still dont whats the purpose (the best to skipp it, expecially your syrian you got connections), or just go to community college, which is cheap and much easier then other places and then transfer to another better city college. Why waste all that $ for nothing.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #161 on: March 04, 2008, 04:23:54 PM »

Now 2 more questions.
a. Unmarried
c. Does not Keep Kosher
f. Does not Study Torah

Thanks

According to the Zohar (If you listined to the lecture "intermarriage" also "Gan Eden Baal Tishuva Pinchas" (something like that)- on Torahanytime.com - R' Mizrai's page.
   Also about college- either skipp it alltogether, im their 3rd year and still dont whats the purpose (the best to skipp it, expecially your syrian you got connections), or just go to community college, which is cheap and much easier then other places and then transfer to another better city college. Why waste all that $ for nothing.

There is definitely some merit to skipping college. On the other hand it's nice to be 'ejumicated'.

I've heard about that Zohar but remember that Zohar speaks at a very refined view of things. It also says masturbation is murder but it means that in a very refined sense-we dont' kill people for doing it.

So at the basic halachic legal level sleeping with a shiksa is in no way the worst sin in Judaism.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #162 on: March 04, 2008, 05:17:53 PM »
I dont want to go back to that discussion, I has been discussed in the past, and you can listin to the shiur. But it is one of the worst, and according to the Zohar it is the worst, according to Talmud its a Nidda, but both speak out agains't it, and even in Tannah we see that it is something very bad, and the hero- Pinhas Alav Hashalom kills Zimri and the shiksa for this dispicible act. If you want to talk halacha then- someone who is zealous for Hashe-m is even allowed in todays age to kill someone who does this act (but during the act itself, not before or after) and this is Pshat, not a remez, etc.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #163 on: March 04, 2008, 05:24:00 PM »
I dont want to go back to that discussion, I has been discussed in the past, and you can listin to the shiur. But it is one of the worst, and according to the Zohar it is the worst, according to Talmud its a Nidda, but both speak out agains't it, and even in Tannah we see that it is something very bad, and the hero- Pinhas Alav Hashalom kills Zimri and the shiksa for this dispicible act. If you want to talk halacha then- someone who is zealous for Hashem is even allowed in todays age to kill someone who does this act (but during the act itself, not before or after) and this is Pshat, not a remez, etc.

Ok. I'll agree with that.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #164 on: May 04, 2008, 01:51:59 PM »
As a side note, I don't think that the government should be regulating marriage at all. They can give civil benefits to couples in a civil manner, but should not get involved in who is married, and requiring marriage licenses etc. Ideally this should be handled by the ecclesiastical authorities as was done all over the world until our very recent history.

Without a legal system of marriage, how are insurance companies and employers supposed to decide who to give benefits to? What about gay people who find left-wing ministers to bond them?

I heard a story once that a frum woman who just had her 7th baby or something like that and the neighbor asked her in a demeaning way : "so how many more are you going to have already"

She looked at him and said "six-million".

Great answer :)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 01:57:19 PM by Rubystars »

Offline shimon

• Full JTFer
« Reply #165 on: May 29, 2008, 11:15:57 PM »
rabbi what do you think about evolution. I know the rebbe was against it, but today there seems to be so much evidence to prove that evolution is true.

Can you please tell me if in any way some ideas of evolutionn are infact compatible with the torah

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #166 on: June 01, 2008, 12:48:13 PM »
rabbi what do you think about evolution. I know the rebbe was against it, but today there seems to be so much evidence to prove that evolution is true.

Can you please tell me if in any way some ideas of evolutionn are infact compatible with the torah

Is there really so much evidence?
The "evidence" involves major extrapolation, the same sort of assumptions that led people to believe the world is flat e.g. if it's flat from here to the next mile, it must be flat the next mile too etc.

I'm not sure what aspect of evolution you're talking about but if it's men from apes, the sceintists got it backwards. Apes devolved from man. G-d turned Kain into an ape when he killed Abel.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #167 on: June 16, 2008, 03:53:00 PM »
Hi Lubab- long time no c.

I was just wondering about something, already a long time, but maybe you can answer it.
I think I read somewhere online, and I think it was a writing from the late Lubavitcher Rebbe. If I am correct, he wrote that we shouldn't pray for Jews to make Tishuva because if for example one says please G-d let person X make Tishuva by keeping Shabbat or keeeping Kashrut, etc. etc. you invoke Dinim (Judgements) agains't the person.
  Is this true, or did I read wrong into it? Also what should we do besides spreading Torah to Am Yisrael, in helping people including ourselves make a full, proper Tishuva no matter what level we are in. Also should we pray for people or not? Sometimes when I pray (personal prayer) I say for example "Please Hashem , may you have mercy on your people, may Jews return to you in truth, and may every Jew be shown the truth, but not through Judgements, but through your (extra) Kindness.  And may the whole World proclaim your Oneness,that you are G-d, and that your Torah is Emet (truth), and your nation (of Israel) is Emet."  Is this okay?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 03:55:46 PM by Tzvi Ben Roshel »

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #168 on: June 17, 2008, 12:27:41 AM »

I was just wondering about something, already a long time, but maybe you can answer it.
I think I read somewhere online, and I think it was a writing from the late Lubavitcher Rebbe. If I am correct, he wrote that we shouldn't pray for Jews to make Tishuva because if for example one says please G-d let person X make Tishuva by keeping Shabbat or keeeping Kashrut, etc. etc. you invoke Dinim (Judgements) agains't the person.
  Is this true, or did I read wrong into it? Also what should we do besides spreading Torah to Am Yisrael, in helping people including ourselves make a full, proper Tishuva no matter what level we are in. Also should we pray for people or not? Sometimes when I pray (personal prayer) I say for example "Please Hashem , may you have mercy on your people, may Jews return to you in truth, and may every Jew be shown the truth, but not through Judgements, but through your (extra) Kindness.  And may the whole World proclaim your Oneness,that you are G-d, and that your Torah is Emet (truth), and your nation (of Israel) is Emet."  Is this okay?

Good to hear from you Tzvi,

I am nearly certain the Rebbe has not said such a thing as there is a clear Talmudic directive to pray for the return of the wicked. (can try to get the source upon request...story involving R' Akiva and some bandits I believe). Further, in our davening the word "VeSachnia" in the Amida is a prayer for some evil people to repent and in Aleinu we clearly pray  "Lehafnot Aleicha KOL Rishei Aretz" (may ALL the the evil people turn to G-d). The Rebbe has spoken about these passages on several occasions.

The personal prayer you write there sounds very similar to one we say on Yom Kippur with a touch of the Aleinu prayer. It may be good, but I try to stick to the exact language Chazal have laid out for my prayers in general plus tehillim of course as their exact formulations are tied to deeper meanings that we don't always know about. There is a time for personal prayers but in those situations we speak from the heart, and don't try to come up with our own set formulations. I personally think what you came up with there is great, but who am I to say that should be an established prayer?

P.S. You might have been thinking of the statement of the Baal Shem Tov who says Lashon Hara is bad for "3 people": the speaker, the listener and the one spoken about. The question is raised, why is the one who was spoken about being punished? What did he do wrong? He answers that now that one has brought that sinners sins to light by speaking about it to others, G-d must now judge him for those sins to prevent a Chillul Hashem whereas He could have been more lenient had the sin remained a private matter.

To do a proper teshuva one must figure out what he's been doing wrong, confess and make a firm commitment not to do it in the future. It's a specific process and one shouldn't take on everything at once. Everyone needs to pick one thing that they know they should be doing better and start making small changes each day to correct that trait and soon it will become second nature for them to do the right thing. Issues involving treating our fellow man are of paramount importance as it was Sinat Chinam which caused this Galut.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 01:36:23 AM by Lubab »

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #169 on: June 17, 2008, 10:07:13 AM »
Congratulations Lubab,

Thanks Dan!
What a great question.

Thanks Lubab...
     I've heard this before but never could fully understand it's meaning, because life move at you so fast you can't stop and think about others when your in pursuit. Nowadays, instant gratification is what people stive for and the multi-tasking world kind of keeps everyone in a tunnel vision mode.

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #170 on: June 17, 2008, 01:27:47 PM »
Yes. Depression, which is the opposite of happiness is really a person who focused all his energy in on himself. When our energies are focused outwards towards improving the world around us and helping others, this makes us happy. Of course we must take good care of ourselves, but doing so is only a tool to better help us fix up the world around us.

When our energies are directed outwards, towards a goal that is greater than just serving ourselves, we are happy, but when too much energy is focused in on ourselves we become introverted, narcassistic and depressed and will also cause a person health problems R"LTZ and he won't live as long because his life won't be something he really enjoys participating in.

The Torah aims to get us to act the first way. That's why it often says that "Tzedaka" (giving of yourself for others) is "THE mitzvah" the only mitzvah. It includes all the others.

Here's a great article me and R' Walters wrote about Happiness a while back: http://www.revealtheessence.com/readarticle.php?article_id=7

« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 02:07:18 PM by Lubab »

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #171 on: June 17, 2008, 07:39:44 PM »

Good to hear from you Tzvi,

I am nearly certain the Rebbe has not said such a thing as there is a clear Talmudic directive to pray for the return of the wicked. (can try to get the source upon request...story involving R' Akiva and some bandits I believe). Further, in our davening the word "VeSachnia" in the Amida is a prayer for some evil people to repent and in Aleinu we clearly pray  "Lehafnot Aleicha KOL Rishei Aretz" (may ALL the the evil people turn to G-d). The Rebbe has spoken about these passages on several occasions.

The personal prayer you write there sounds very similar to one we say on Yom Kippur with a touch of the Aleinu prayer. It may be good, but I try to stick to the exact language Chazal have laid out for my prayers in general plus tehillim of course as their exact formulations are tied to deeper meanings that we don't always know about. There is a time for personal prayers but in those situations we speak from the heart, and don't try to come up with our own set formulations. I personally think what you came up with there is great, but who am I to say that should be an established prayer?

P.S. You might have been thinking of the statement of the Baal Shem Tov who says Lashon Hara is bad for "3 people": the speaker, the listener and the one spoken about. The question is raised, why is the one who was spoken about being punished? What did he do wrong? He answers that now that one has brought that sinners sins to light by speaking about it to others, G-d must now judge him for those sins to prevent a Chillul Hashem whereas He could have been more lenient had the sin remained a private matter.

To do a proper teshuva one must figure out what he's been doing wrong, confess and make a firm commitment not to do it in the future. It's a specific process and one shouldn't take on everything at once. Everyone needs to pick one thing that they know they should be doing better and start making small changes each day to correct that trait and soon it will become second nature for them to do the right thing. Issues involving treating our fellow man are of paramount importance as it was Sinat Chinam which caused this Galut.

Thanks for your answer.

Offline Maimonides

• Pro JTFer
  • The Greatest Jewish Sage
« Reply #172 on: June 23, 2008, 10:10:50 PM »
Dear Lubab:

What is your opinion of Pidyon Ha-Ben?

Should it still be a tradition now since there is no Temple right now and how many mohels are really legitimate Kohanim?

In addition what if a Jewish family is poor and cannot afford five silver coins?

Things like this turn-off many Jews from Judaism because it causes them to see religion as an organized scheme to steal them of their money.
“You must accept the truth from whatever source it comes”- Maimonides

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #173 on: June 25, 2008, 05:18:26 PM »
Dear Lubab:

What is your opinion of Pidyon Ha-Ben?

Should it still be a tradition now since there is no Temple right now and how many mohels are really legitimate Kohanim?

In addition what if a Jewish family is poor and cannot afford five silver coins?

Things like this turn-off many Jews from Judaism because it causes them to see religion as an organized scheme to steal them of their money.

Hi Maimonides,

With a name like that you should know that Pidyon Haben is not just a tradition.

It's one of the 613 commandments codified by the Rambam and in Rambam's Mishne Torah and Shulachan Aruch.. It's Jewish law.

It's also in the Torah so it's a Biblical commandment. 

So it's something we really need to do whether we understand it or not and I don't believe the obligation to do it is annulled or changed in any way after the Temple is destroyed as the act is not really tied in any way to something that existed in the Temple.

It's quite obvious to anyone whose looked into it that it's not about getting peoples' money . It's a relatively rare event in a synagouge because a lot of requirements need to be met (C-section birth doesn't get one, first baby must be a boy etc.) and it's not that much money after all (about 60 bucks) plus the Kohen usually returns the coins to the father as a gift after the ceremony.

Anything in Judaism, or anything in any feild can seem stupid and become a turn-off or it can be very powerful and meaningful based on our perspective or how much we know about it.

Doing this is fulfiling a commandment of G-d and we are conncting to Him by doing what He wants, something that would never be possible had he not given us commandments like these.

There is also deeper meaning in the mitzvah if we are willing to look at it from the "inside" instead of just looking at it as an outsider.

A deeper meaning of this mitzvah is that we are meant to give our best (our firstborn) to the service of G-d. It means we need to use our greatest gifts talents and energies to fulfill our highest purposes, serving G-d, perfecting the world etc.  and this really applies to everyone at all times.

Nobody is forcing anyone to do it if they don't see the value in it. We have free choice. Those who see the value in it are willing to pay for it.

Even a neccesary operation can seem vile and pointless to someone not at all familiar with medicine. Someone who know the benefits sees the importance and value and that's why they are willing to pay for it. Same thing here.

We do go to exta effort to find not just any Kohen, but a person who is known in the community to be a Kohen for at least three generations which gives him a legal presumption that he is a Kohen (They even found a genetic link between Kohanim, I heard).

Should we give up this holy commandment with all it's revealed and hidden benefits just because some who are not willing to look deeper into what's really going on will be turned off? I think the answer is pretty clear. Let's keep the commandment and educate ourselves and others about it instead.

P.S. You don't do it with the mohel or at the bris generally, you do it 31 days after birth.

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
« Reply #174 on: June 25, 2008, 07:23:53 PM »
Rabbi Lubab,

What made you decide to be a Rabbi? Was there a certain event that happened in your life or did you make the decision over a long period of time?

-Shlomo
"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim