Author Topic: NYTimes Article Legitimizes Black Hebrews? Is this Legitimate?  (Read 1214 times)

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/16/us/16rabbi.html?em&ex=1205899200&en=c6086a9a63410dae&ei=5087%0A

Are these "black Hebrews"? They apparently don't claim that they are the actual Jews and that all other Jews are fakes.

Is this movement legitimate?  It seems to be recognized by some organizations and Rabbis.   
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: NYTimes Article Legitimizes Black Hebrews? Is this Legitimate?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 09:07:04 AM »
This is a group that I personally would consider having potential of being legitimate..

These are the same crazies we see onthe streets who pretend to be Jews nor do i think they are the same group found in Dimona who are polygamists.

This group does practice a form of observant Judaism although I don't know what else it is about them that makes them different.

Best to ask Chaim this specific question..i have wnated to do this in past askjtf's, but didn't know the name of this Hebrew group.

Now, another things about this movement is that it isn't a typical orthodox movement. It mimicks the conservative to modern orthodox movement and has black people, hispanics, and a few whites in it and because of the separatism (rightfully) from mainstream Jewish groups, it also has a Black nationalist aspect to it.

The way I look at is this.  You have Islam and branches of Christianity which black americans mainly identify with.  HOwver, there are black americans who identify with the message of Torah, but also have that black pride in them and dont' feel comfortable around whites...hence you have a black synogogue which mimicks mainstream non orthodox synogogues.

People of this movement who are very observant would not accept the traditions of this synogogue because it does not go with code with Torah Judaism and mimicks the hated conservative movement. Let me know if i'm wrong.

Me personally, I have more questions. I would sit in their place of worship and see how they do things, have theological discussions, ask them how they feel about Talmud and the sages and how they would feel if they and their congregants had to go through a ritual Torah Jewish conversion to legitimize them as Jews much like the Ben Menasseh and Ethiopian Jews who made aliya to Israel.

On another arguement..the reason why the reform and conservative movements are hated is because of the perception that these movements hate Torah and Gd and want to form another religion off of Judaism.  These black congregations only seem to mimick these movements without what seems to be the understanding of what the point or perception of the conservatie and reform movements...but right now i'm just splitting hairs.

I hope that this movement is open to hearing the proper ways of practicing Torah Judaism and that they pursue that realm much of the way many conservative Jews get hungrier for more Torah and later become conservadox or for that matter, more observant and really practice a form of Torah Judaism that Tzvi might not agree with but find legitimate.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 09:26:36 AM by Dr. Dan »
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 09:13:01 AM »
Those are'nt Black Hebros they are Jewish blcks with elements of African culture.I wonder if they support osama Hussein obama
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 09:17:03 AM by mord »
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 09:27:28 AM »
Those are'nt Black Hebros they are Jewish blcks with elements of African culture.I wonder if they support osama Hussein obama

They might because of their identity to black nationalism.  They need to realize that Jews are one and all the same irregardless of race.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Sergio 11

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 10:32:35 AM »
It sounds like these are 100% kosher jews not the Hebro types you see in the streets...

Ethopian jews are wonderful people and they are fervent supporters of the jewish nation of Israel

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 10:50:30 AM »
i'm with you sergio..i want these guys to be part of us if they are serious.

Offline FULL METAL JACKET

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 11:40:53 AM »
These don't look like the black hebrews that stand on 34th street screaming white people are the devil.

These look like legitimate Jews.
Formely known as "1986"