Author Topic: Cargo-Hauling Cyclists Invent 'Big Dummy' Bike  (Read 670 times)

newman

Cargo-Hauling Cyclists Invent 'Big Dummy' Bike
« on: March 18, 2008, 12:49:26 AM »
MINNEAPOLIS (CBS) ― A new heavy-duty ride is giving bikers the ability to carry more bulk.

You might call it the SUV of bikes, but bike makers call it the Big Dummy.

The bike's inventors say they can't keep up with the demand. It has only been out for a week and there are already back orders, reports CBS station WCCO-TV in Minneapolis.

"We sold 90 in four hours," said Dave Gray, the co-inventor of the bike.

The designers of the heavy-duty hauler commute year round on their bikes and that's where they came up with the idea.

"I wanted something that I could carry my groceries and my clothes to work at least one day a week," said Nick Sande, the other co-inventor of the Big Dummy.

Dave Gray said the long frame is more stable than a normal bike and the extra saddle bags gives bikers the capacity to carry more cargo.

"I know that if I want to stop at Home Depot, if I want to stop at the grocery store, or if I want to stop anywhere, there's a good chance I can strap it on the back of my Big Dummy," said Gray. "It's a nice alternative to racks or bags on a touring bike or commuter bike. There's just more cargo capacity."

The built up bike is going to take more pedal power to push - it weighs about 40 pounds. A normal bike is about 25 pounds.

"Obviously a little heavier, harder to pedal, a little bit slower, but aside from that, it rides like a normal bike," said Sande.

The U.S. Census Bureau recently ranked Minneapolis and St. Paul as the number two city for bike commuters, behind Portland, Ore.

The designers of the bike are hoping the bad economy will bring more of a need for their souped-up cycle.

"I think with gas prices what they are and kind of the changing mentality, it's the perfect time for this type of bike," said Gray.

The Big Dummy costs about $1,700 for everything. If you're interested in getting one you can check with your local bike shop.

http://wcco.com/watercooler/Big.Dummy.bike.2.664912.html