Poll

What do you think about Organ Donation?

It's a tremendous mitzva as long as it doesn't kill the person who is saving the life.
5 (55.6%)
Getting benefits (money etc) should be encouraged.
0 (0%)
It's wrong! Everyone should keep their organs even if they are brain dead.
4 (44.4%)
I'm not touching this question with a 60 foot pole.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: What do you think about Organ Donation?  (Read 2502 times)

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
Re: What do you think about Organ Donation?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 09:37:26 PM »
Isn't it against the Jewish religion to donate organs?  I always wanted to know why, if it can save a life.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 09:41:22 PM »
me too. Some will argue that you need all of your organs to be resurrected in the world to come.  Then we think of the 6 million who were turned to ash during the Shoah and many will say, "oh, they are the exception."  However, i would think that if one saves a life in that manner, it should also be the exception.

On the other hand, one will claim that the life saved might be an evil monster and not a righteous person therefore the act itself is nullified.

I would rather err on the side of life if I could put my two cents in if i could save a life without ending mine with the exception of being brain dead and only machines keep me alive.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 09:45:02 PM »
Its a yes and no. IF lets say a relative needs a kidney or else they will die, and cant get it from anyone else, then yes your allowed to give it (I belive, but someone should double check). But randomly donating your organs, or signing something that says if you die they can take your organs, I dont belive is allowed.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 09:57:47 PM »
Its a yes and no. IF lets say a relative needs a kidney or else they will die, and cant get it from anyone else, then yes your allowed to give it (I belive, but someone should double check). But randomly donating your organs, or signing something that says if you die they can take your organs, I dont belive is allowed.

So to requote you, it might be allowed to save a relative's life and it can't come from somewhere else...but when one is basically dead, it is not allowed to remove organs (even with signed permission) to harvest it for saving a life in the future.  I would only agree wtih this if you said it was wrong to REQUIRE someone to do it, but volunteering would be a different story.  We can talk more about this at length.

what if a nonkosher animal, such as a pig, was able to save someone's life with its heart?  Is this unkosher?

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 09:59:39 PM »

So to requote you, it might be allowed to save a relative's life and it can't come from somewhere else...but when one is basically dead, it is not allowed to remove organs (even with signed permission) to harvest it for saving a life in the future.  I would only agree wtih this if you said it was wrong to REQUIRE someone to do it, but volunteering would be a different story.  We can talk more about this at length.

what if a nonkosher animal, such as a pig, was able to save someone's life with its heart?  Is this unkosher?

I just brought that as an example. Im not saying any Halacha. (just an opinion).
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 10:01:50 PM »

I just brought that as an example. Im not saying any Halacha. (just an opinion).

oh ok..i gotchya..it would be an interesting discussion to have on this forum, in light of what Israel has currently allowed.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 10:04:03 PM »
It is forbidden to simply donate to an "organ bank," where there is no specific, immediate recipient. BUT to save a life it would be allowed.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 10:25:49 PM »
It is forbidden to simply donate to an "organ bank," where there is no specific, immediate recipient. BUT to save a life it would be allowed.

does that mean that halakhically, saving a life is defined as an urgent moment to save a life

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 10:58:15 PM »
I think it's a noble thing. Christianity does not condemn it, for sure (I think Catholicism may have at one time, but I don't believe currently).

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 12:17:33 AM »
My organs are faulty.  I don't want to put anyone else through my misery. :::D

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 02:03:22 AM »
You can't donate Organs because doing so desturbs a dead body. If you are alive like donating a Kidney which you have two of I don't think it is problem but I could be wrong
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 07:08:34 AM »
You can't donate Organs because doing so desturbs a dead body. If you are alive like donating a Kidney which you have two of I don't think it is problem but I could be wrong

but what if someone is still alive, but brain dead...and his/her body is functioning because of a machine?  If he/she volunteered to do it, why shouldn't he/she be allowed to donate?

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 08:38:38 AM »
I don't personally believe that the body is important after you've left it. Sure, it should be treated with respect, as it once contained a human spirit, but the person isn't there anymore, in my opinion. I don't see why people shouldn't be able to have those organs if it would help them to live.

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 08:55:50 AM »
They can have everything but my Hammond!

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2008, 12:18:00 PM »
I don't personally believe that the body is important after you've left it. Sure, it should be treated with respect, as it once contained a human spirit, but the person isn't there anymore, in my opinion. I don't see why people shouldn't be able to have those organs if it would help them to live.

you're correct. However, technically, as soon as someone dies they need to washed and then buried.  When a body is being prepared for burial, one must be careful to continue to treat it like it was alive such as to ask it permission to move it's hand while washing it, or not to talk around it or to stare at it.  So i would think that if someone doesn't volunteer to harvest his organs, it should be left on disturbed after death even if that person doesn't need it.

Offline Nic Brookes

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2008, 01:24:05 PM »
They can have everything but my Hammond!

LOL