Author Topic: I Need some Jews to help me on Shabbat Question  (Read 1860 times)

Offline MasterWolf1

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
I Need some Jews to help me on Shabbat Question
« on: April 11, 2008, 02:11:31 PM »
Ok, um I really don't know cause on Sundays for me it is one hour for Mass and communion and thats it.

What exactly are Jews suppose to do and not do from Friday nights to Saturday nights?
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline MasterWolf1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
Re: I Need some Jews to help me on Shabbat Question
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 02:13:26 PM »
Also technically before mass you are not allowed to eat 1 hour prior on recieving the Eucherist
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 02:33:57 PM »
Why does it concern you? You aren't obligated for Shabb-t.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Nic Brookes

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 02:36:46 PM »
Also technically before mass you are not allowed to eat 1 hour prior on recieving the Eucherist

Is it one hour? I was under the impression that it is 2, but I am probably wrong!

Offline MasterWolf1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 02:37:19 PM »
Now why would you come out sounding like that for.  It is just out of curiosity.  What no one can ask?

Offline Zevida

• Full JTFer
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 02:46:43 PM »
There are 39 categories of acts that should not be performed on Shabbat.  You can find a good list here: http://www.ou.org/chagim/shabbat/thirtynine.htm#24. So please read through that as a very basic start and feel free to ask any questions.  :)

Now that's going to make it look like Shabbat is just a big day full of not being able to do things.  But that is not the case at all!!  Those rules help us to set Shabbat apart from the other six days of the week.  We can keep Shabbat special and holy by doing many things.  Among them are attending synagogue services, studying Torah, spending time with family and good friends, relaxing, taking a walk (to have a look at some of G-d's beautiful creations in nature).  One of the purposes of the day is to experience just a tiny piece of the joy that G-d will give us for eternity.  :)

It's a day to step away from all your troubles in this world and enjoy the many blessings that G-d has given us.
By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat down, yea, we wept, when we remembered Zion. (Ps 137)

Offline MasterWolf1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 02:48:19 PM »
Thank you, Atleast you didn't say "why does it concern you".  Cause if people are willing to ask questions I think it be nice out of common curtosy to answer without saying "why does it concern you".

Offline Zevida

• Full JTFer
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 02:51:47 PM »
It does concern you, if you would like to learn.  Growing up in a very non-Jewish area, I always invited others to ask me about my faith.  It gives me the opportunity to share about the subject I love most and also the chance to learn something if they are asking me a question that I need to research.  :)

Most topics regarding Christianity don't technically "concern" me, but I enjoy learning and understanding why other people think the way they do.  I guess I just enjoy learning!!  ;D

So please, don't hesitate to ask questions and learn about Judaism.  I'm more than happy to try and help.  :)
By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat down, yea, we wept, when we remembered Zion. (Ps 137)

Offline MasterWolf1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 02:56:34 PM »
Well thanks again and as far as Nic Brookes question:  At one time they insisted that no one eats for 24 hours before taking the sacrament, but they curbed that down now to 1  hour.  And water 5 mins before mass to clean the body.  It has changed over the many years.  Including Lents.  At one time all year round on Friday you weren't allowed to eat meat.  Only fish as far as an animal product goes.  But through the years, they brought that to the weeks of Lent.