General Category > Ask JTF

Ask JTF For February 4 Broadcast

(1/6) > >>

admin:
BS"D

Shalom Chaim,

I didn't tell Imaknik to ask the question for me last week. He wanted to ask the same question and mentioned me so I pasted my question on to his question.

Will a Kahanist government make The Rav's Yahrzeit a national holiday?

Please read the following comments in full and say what you think of it.

In Israel, the self-hating Jews celebrate New Year's Eve as a Christian holiday because they call it Silvester, taken from St. Silvester. The reason they call it that is because The Haredim looked on the calendar before the creation of the state so they could see what Christian holiday fell then so they could convince Jews not to celebrate it. However, it didn't work and it caused Jews to celebrate it AS a Christian holiday since they adopted the name themselves. Their original intent was to celebrate it as a Secular holiday. In Hebrew, I just call it Rosh Hashana Izrachi. I watch the ball drop on TV but I just think of it as a change of the number in the year. I like calendar subjects so it interests me that the year changes. I don't think people should go out and party for it. I don't think Jews should say Happy New Year on that day. It is not a celebration but rather a calendric event. I think it's shtuyot that people think they have to have a date for New Year's Eve and kiss her at midnight.

In Christianity, January 1 as The New Year marks Jesus's brit milah since he is said to have been born on December 25, therefore making his brit on January 1, 1 C.E.. However, many Christians just think it a time to party. What do you think of the Christians who party for it instead of going to church?

You mentioned about healthy salad dressing. My dad makes salad dressing with olive oil, lemon juice, curry, and salt. I call it Hodi-Baghdadi because my family is Baghdadi and Baghdadi Jews introduced curry to Iraq after travelling in India.

Why don't you drink fat free milk? It only has 1% of the daily value of cholesterol in it.

Do you ever eat any potatoes?

Do you ever eat corn? Do you ever eat popcorn?

Do you eat lentils? Are they healthy?

Do you eat spaghetti? Is it healthy? If not, would you eat it if it was made from whole wheat pasta?

Do you eat whole grain bread if the grain was not wheat, for example barley or oat?

Do you eat oatmeal? Is it healthy?

In Israel they have a kosher Kentucky Fried Chicken in Mevasseret Tzion and they used to have one in Jerusalem but it closed after the bombing spree in 2002. I like the kosher Kentucky Fried Chicken and kosher Burger Kings in Israel and they are schvartza free so they get your order right. I assume you don't like all that because you think fast food is not healthy.

What special foods do you eat before the Rosh Hashana meal besides apples? Some Ashkenazim also eat some of the things I mentioned like rimonim.

Why don't you make an exception and eat eggs on Passover for the seder once a year? Isn't it part of Judaism to eat the egg at the seder? What do you do other times on Passover because many Passover foods have eggs in them in place of bread products. How can you keep Kosher For Passover and live your healthy eating lifestyle at the same time? You said you you eat kitniyot on Passover. Does that include corn and beans because some Sfaradim eat kitniyot but they don't eat corn. Some just eat rice but don't eat corn or beans. I eat all kitnyiot on Passover.

Do you check the ingredients of everything you eat to make sure it doesn't have dairy or eggs in it? Would you eat a food that is not eggs but has eggs as an ingredient? Would you eat something that is chalavi but milk is only an ingredient and not the main part such as a dairy bread or cake? I think you might not want a cake for different reasons because you would say it's junk food and therefore not healthy. Would you eat any cake at all?

Would you eat caviar if you could afford it? I agree with you on salmon. That is my favorite kind of fish and I eat it every Friday Night for kiddush. I also like steelhead trout which is similar to salmon in color (Unlike rainbow trout.). Steelehead trout is red while salmon is pink. The reddish and pinkish colors according to OU Radio Kosher Tidbits is proof of it being kosher in a non-kosher market while other fish there you can only buy if you see the scales. This is because many fish are marketed under brand names and have nothing to do with the Latin species name so there could be 2 fish called the same thing while one has Halachically kosher scales while the other one doesn't. But only kosher fish have the pinkish and reddish color to them. Do you buy kosher fish from a non-kosher market? I do. I only buy kosherly slaughtered meat either from a kosher market or kosherly sealed from a goy supermarket and I try to eat only kosher labeled dairy and pareve packaged foods in the house. Outside of the house, I only eat meat at kosher restaurants and at other places I buy vegetarian, either pareve or dairy.

Yacov Menashe Ben Rachamim,
Chief Administrator.

Gerard:
Greetings, Chaim

I think white women go for schwartzes because, he gets payed today, and is broke tomorrow and it would really tick her parents off.

A white guy (Jew or gentile) just doesn't wake up in the morning, and decides to go for black women.

Thank you, Chaim

imaknick:
Chaim,
1) If JTF gets in to power in Israel, What would JTF do with the current ties with Jordan, Morocco, Egypt, Turkey,    and Afghanistan?  and Would Israel be allies with India, China, and Japan?

2) What do you think of Maimonides Hospital? Should it bear the name of a great Scholar?  Keep in mind it is a Jewish hospital, but treats Arabs and blacks.
                                                                        thanks

Maimonides:
Shalom Chaim and Thank you as always for your hard-work and answering my questions.

What is your opinion of the attempt of Avraham Stern to cut a deal with the Nazis during World War II?
Stern believed the British were the greater threat and apparently hoped to save the lives of Jews in exchange for helping bring down the British.
Do you think Avaraham Stern should have joined with the Irgun and Haganah in helping the British at the onset of World War II?
What would you have done if you were in his position at the time?
Frankly Avraham Stern on that occassion seems to have been naive to believe that the Nazis would not have stormed right into Israel had they beat the British in Egypt. It seems to me that while the British were another enemy of the Jewish people, they were the lesser of two evils, and it at that time it was in the Jewish interest to see the British pervail.

judeanoncapta:
Shalom Chaim,

I heard on your channuka show you mention a story about the sister of yehuda hamaccabi revealing herself at her wedding. I had never heard this before and was wondering if you know the exact source for this story.

OK last question, Do you think that we are heading into the final stages of the ketz hayamim? I mean There is so much about Persia in the endtimes written about in our midrashim and it seems like they are rising up to wipe out am yisrael. Are you afraid Chaim? In your Heart of hearts? To tell you the truth, I am. Are you?  Til next time Chaim. Only the best may G-d bless you with long life, health and strength ad meah v'esrim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version