Author Topic: Israel & South Africa collaborated in rocket technology in the 1970's & 1980's  (Read 8729 times)

Offline AriseSouthAfrica

• Senior JTFer

At the start of the Bushwar in 1966, the SADF was partly equipped with outdated WW2 vintage equipment such as the 25pdr and 5.5 inch artillery guns, Vickers .303 inch MG's and 3" mortars. Main transport was the non reliable Bedford trucks, and the better Unimog light trucks introduced in the 1970's. The FN FAL 7.26mm assault rifle imported from Belgium, and manufactured under licence in SA as the R1 and R2 (short barrel) from 1964, was an excellent weapon loved by the troops. Its immense stopping power could neutralise an enemy even with a near-mis and behind cover. Its disadvantage was that it was a very heavy weapon. From 1979, SA manufactured the 5.56mm R4 and R5 (short barrel), under license from Galil in Israel.
Let G_d arise, let his enemies be scattered: let them also that hate him flee before him. (Psalm 68:1)

Offline Boeregeneraal

• Master JTFer
Great discussion guys!!!!

Yes, South Africa's weapons industry was state of the art! You know we had the Eland's, and they were very small little things, but we used them against state of the art Russian T-55's etc. The Elands could creep up on the tanks, and start flanking them, and would then shoot the tanks most vulnerable part, the rear. Once the cubans or russians got the fright of their lives and sprang to action, the elands would continually drive in a circle around the tank, and shoot at it. Ofcourse, because the elands were driving so quickly in a circular motion around the tank, it was nearly impossible for the tank to hit the eland, which would be destroyed completely in one hit, whereas the elands calibre was smaller, and needed several hits to punch out the tanks. One cuban after the war whom was lucky to survive the tactics said something like this "the elands were like little cockroaches (the elands is very small, and a rather unorthodox shape) running around us and bitting little chunks off us, and we were unable to do anything about it!"

Offline Еврей

• Senior JTFer
Great discussion guys!!!!

Yes, South Africa's weapons industry was state of the art! You know we had the Eland's, and they were very small little things, but we used them against state of the art Russian T-55's etc. The Elands could creep up on the tanks, and start flanking them, and would then shoot the tanks most vulnerable part, the rear. Once the cubans or russians got the fright of their lives and sprang to action, the elands would continually drive in a circle around the tank, and shoot at it. Ofcourse, because the elands were driving so quickly in a circular motion around the tank, it was nearly impossible for the tank to hit the eland, which would be destroyed completely in one hit, whereas the elands calibre was smaller, and needed several hits to punch out the tanks. One cuban after the war whom was lucky to survive the tactics said something like this "the elands were like little cockroaches (the elands is very small, and a rather unorthodox shape) running around us and bitting little chunks off us, and we were unable to do anything about it!"

The Elad is definitely one cool machine!  O0

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/row/eland.htm
"My name is Daniel Pearl. I am a Jewish American"
"My family follows Judaism. We've made numerous family visits to Israel."
~Daniel Pearl

"We are a small nation, but strong."
~Moshe Dayan

"First of all, Arafat is wrong. Jerusalem is Israel's capital, will never be divided, and will remain the capital of the State of Israel, the capital of the Jewish people, for ever and ever. "
~Benjamin Netanyahu

ביחד נשרוד, לחוד ניפול
Together we survive, apart we fall
~Subliminal

Offline Boeregeneraal

• Master JTFer
indeed!!  O0

now at fist this tiny "cockroach" appears useless against a russian tank, especially in calibre and armour. But the eland has speed, stealth and little exposure. Now if you look at the pic, you will see the typical savannah grass compared to the eland...and you can see how easy it is for the eland to sneek up right  behind those idiots in the tank. Now the largest factor that detrermined success, was we hadwhites behind the wheel....which says it all  O0 but above all, G-D was on our side

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
Arise, are you able to get any SADF surplus gear? I collect military equipment (LBV's, Helmets, Boots, Uniforms, Camo, etc.) I was wondering if you had your hands to access on any of these? I have the helmet but those lbv's used by the SADF were pretty cool. Wouldn't mind some camo either but their hard to find.

Offline AriseSouthAfrica

• Senior JTFer
Arise, are you able to get any SADF surplus gear? I collect military equipment (LBV's, Helmets, Boots, Uniforms, Camo, etc.) I was wondering if you had your hands to access on any of these? I have the helmet but those lbv's used by the SADF were pretty cool. Wouldn't mind some camo either but their hard to find.

I can make some enquiries and look around for you! Their should be a lot floating around considering how many of us were drafted for so many years!
Just give me some time, as I'm a little busy at work at the moment!
Let G_d arise, let his enemies be scattered: let them also that hate him flee before him. (Psalm 68:1)

Offline Boeregeneraal

• Master JTFer
Lets talk about the....

Offline Еврей

• Senior JTFer
now at fist this tiny "cockroach" appears useless against a russian tank, especially in calibre and armour. But the eland has speed, stealth and little exposure. Now if you look at the pic, you will see the typical savannah grass compared to the eland...and you can see how easy it is for the eland to sneek up right  behind those idiots in the tank. Now the largest factor that detrermined success, was we hadwhites behind the wheel....which says it all  O0 but above all, G-D was on our side

At first it did appear that way to me... but when you combine the speed of the vehicle, the skill of the driver, and G-d... there isn't much that's going to stop it! haha...  ;D

The aforementioned site said that the Eland only had a 4 cylinder turbo-diesel... could you imagine how fast it would have been if they put in a little bigger engine??
~Daniel Pearl

~Moshe Dayan

"First of all, Arafat is wrong. Jerusalem is Israel's capital, will never be divided, and will remain the capital of the State of Israel, the capital of the Jewish people, for ever and ever. "
~Benjamin Netanyahu

ביחד נשרוד, לחוד ניפול
~Subliminal

Offline Boeregeneraal

• Master JTFer
yes absolutely!!!

And I mean that eland was sooo quiet,I mean just imagine what gun crews hear in their loud tanks....and then comes this wheeled AT 'car'

Offline Еврей

• Senior JTFer
yes absolutely!!!

And I mean that eland was sooo quiet,I mean just imagine what gun crews hear in their loud tanks....and then comes this wheeled AT 'car'

Haha really? I didn't read that, but I sure believe it! They probably couldn't see it coming!

Anyway, what kind of helicopter is that, above?
~Daniel Pearl

~Moshe Dayan

~Benjamin Netanyahu

ביחד נשרוד, לחוד ניפול
~Subliminal

Offline Boeregeneraal

• Master JTFer
oooh...i loooove that helicopter.

its the Rooivalk gunship O0

To this day, it is only rivaled by the Apache and possibly by the newer russian kamov. The Rooivalk to this day is the fastest attack helicopter and despite being twice as heavy as the newer European tiger, its still faster.

The Rooivalk unfortunantly never saw combat, which was due in the 80's. 

Offline AriseSouthAfrica

• Senior JTFer
Wow!! The Rooivalk! What an amazing helicopter!