Author Topic: Spanish Bishops Fear Rebirth of Iberian Caliphate  (Read 2959 times)

admin

Spanish Bishops Fear Rebirth of Iberian Caliphate
« on: January 09, 2007, 02:08:30 AM »
Spanish Bishops Fear Rebirth of Iberian Caliphate
20:09 Jan 08, '07 / 18 Tevet 5767

(IsraelNN.com) Spain's bishops are alarmed by plans to reestablish the city of Cordoba - once the heart of the medieval Islamic caliphate of al-Andalus - as a pilgrimage site for Muslims throughout Europe. Plans include the construction of a half-size replica of Cordoba's eighth century Great Mosque, according to the head of Cordoba's Muslim Association.

Other major mosques are reportedly planned for Medina Azahara near Cordoba, Seville and Granada. Last month, Spanish Muslims reasserted their right to pray in Cordoba's Great Mosque, known in Spanish as la Mezquita - which was reconsecrated as a Roman Catholic cathedral in 1236 shortly after the city was captured from the Moors in a crusade led by King Ferdinand III of Castile.

Bishops in the southern Spanish cities are alarmed at the construction of ostentatious mosques, financed from abroad. Up to one million Muslims live in Spain, many drawn by a romantic nostalgia for the lost paradise of al-Andalus, the caliphate that ruled Spain for more than five centuries.

Offline Ithaca-37

• Senior JTFer
Re: Spanish Bishops Fear Rebirth of Iberian Caliphate
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 05:19:17 PM »
My sympathy for the Catholic church is limited, and I write that as one born and raised Catholic.  The Vatican has been courting Islam since the days of the Second Vatican Council.  It reached its peak in a foolish visit to a mosque by John Paul the Great, complete with kissing a Koran.

My personal opinion is that the Catholic higher-ups were looking to reach a 'hands-off' agreement with Islam, like two huge corporations agreeing to divide a market.  But now one competitor is not interested in dividing the market, and the Catholic higher-ups have no idea how to manage a 800 lbs gorilla.

Closer to home, few are more enthusiastic for open borders than American bishops, such as Red Roger Mahoney of Los Angeles.

Maybe somebody should blow the dust off a Bible in the Vatican and find that familiar verse, "You reap what you sow."

Ithaca-37