Author Topic: Chaim's Fundraising Idea 10% Commisions  (Read 1364 times)

Offline Lubab

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
Chaim's Fundraising Idea 10% Commisions
« on: June 17, 2008, 12:38:16 AM »
I have been very busy and if I am out of the loop and this thread is not relevant feel free to let me know and I'll delete the thread.

But I heard a recent AskJTF in which  Chaim suggested that people fundraise for JTF and earn a 10% commission.

Has this been discussed?

Is there consensus that this is a good idea even though every penny will no longer go to the cause (I think it's a great idea because many more pennies will come in in the big scheme)?

Is anyone interested in actually doing this?

Do you have any ideas on how to go about it?

Chaim said we should discuss this and I just want to make sure that discussion can take place so the idea can be implemented.

"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Chaim's Fundraising Idea 10% Commisions
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 09:34:30 PM »
Personally, I would recommend those who have an adequate means of living and just happen to be able to raise money for JTF to donate the 10% to VJA or JTF already...or some portion of it..but that's just my two cents.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 11:16:48 PM »
Lubab, I thought it was a great idea.  If someone is willing/able to raise a big amount of money for JTF then they are certainly entitled to that 10% commission because the 90% is better than 0% and any kind of large fundraiser would be a great way to bring in new sources of donations for JTF.

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 11:35:19 PM »
One thing I think would help people get started is if Chaim would make a video specifically for wealthy folks explaining to them why JTF is the best cause they could possibly support. He should dress up for this video and declutter the background of the set.

It should emphasize humanitarians concerns and justice and in addition to religious reasons so it is compelling even to those who are not religious.

For starters we can email a link to that video to some wealthy people we know. Ideally it should be put on DVD and we can go with the actual disc (a nice brochure would certainly pay for itself too) and brochure and approach people in shul or in church or whatever.

You could just give them the disc and a brochure and say "here's a gift from me to you I think you'll find this really intriguing".

Heck, that video Chaim makes might generate some nice donations on its own if we provide contact info with the video and post it on LiveLeak or whatever.

"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline Ben Yehuda

• Director Of Marketing
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 11:44:28 AM »
I think it is a good idea. It would be good if we could attract true professional fundraisers, but that may be difficult. Certainly current members should be encouraged to donate as before without compensation. The idea, it seems to me, would be to bring in new money as well, for which the commision would apply.

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 05:52:06 PM »
I personally am against the idea of using "professional" fundraisers because of human nature.

Here's why:

Increasing commissions soon can sustain an individual's lifestyle.

Eventually the "meetings over lunch", the "invitations to various affairs" which begin simply and honestly out of seeking each and every avenue from which to solicit donations from those capable of giving, begin to take on the "air of a very comfortable lifestyle in the presence of those blessed with material wealth and comfortable recreational pursuits.

Then, suddenly and with no warning, the fundraiser(s) begin to see a very bright and comfortable future in this sweet "fundraising" enterprise, as it silently "morphs" from a noble pursuit into an "industry".

This is how most Jews whom we in JTF consider "thoroughly corrupt" and "evil" became that way:

They began in earnest working to solicit donations for a cause in which most of them deeply believed, and then little by little were corrupted into "enjoying life and the fruits of their labors".

Then, the "causes" begin to appear as "necessary unpleasantries" by which they have been blessed to earn a good living.

I'll leave it to your imaginations to "fill in the blanks" about what happens once these "fundraisers" begin getting "honored" at "community gala" events and begin having "titles" of honor bestowed upon them along with large grants, donations, etc. .

The greater the success; the greater the corruption.

Online Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 06:00:38 PM »
One thing I think would help people get started is if Chaim would make a video specifically for wealthy folks explaining to them why JTF is the best cause they could possibly support. He should dress up for this video and declutter the background of the set.

It should emphasize humanitarians concerns and justice and in addition to religious reasons so it is compelling even to those who are not religious.

For starters we can email a link to that video to some wealthy people we know. Ideally it should be put on DVD and we can go with the actual disc (a nice brochure would certainly pay for itself too) and brochure and approach people in shul or in church or whatever.

You could just give them the disc and a brochure and say "here's a gift from me to you I think you'll find this really intriguing".

Heck, that video Chaim makes might generate some nice donations on its own if we provide contact info with the video and post it on LiveLeak or whatever.

That's a great idea!