Author Topic: Tajikistan's only synagogue demolished to make way for presidential palace  (Read 1602 times)

Offline Ambiorix

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • There is no "Istanbul"
    • Brussels Journal
June 26, 2008
Tajikistan's only synagogue demolished to make way for presidential palace
http://www.jihadwatch.org/dhimmiwatch/

An update on this story. "Tajikistan's Jews despair as only synagogue razed," from Reuters, June 25:
Tajikistan has knocked down its only synagogue to make way for a new presidential palace, casting the Jewish community into despair, community members said on Wednesday.
The 19th century building is due to be replaced by a park adjoining the new palace for President Imomali Rakhmon, who has ruled the impoverished, mainly Muslim nation since 1992.
Community leaders said the weekend demolition of their synagogue - a wooden, one-story house adorned with stars of David - put their 350-strong community under threat.
"It's painful to lose something very dear, something that cannot be valued in money terms," Rabbi Mikhail Abdurakhmanov said after the building was bulldozed.
"At the moment the existence of Tajikistan's only Jewish community is under threat. It's also a threat to elderly people who came here for help," he told Reuters.
The Jewish community in Tajikistan - descendants of Persian-speaking Bukhara Jews who have lived in Central Asia for centuries - has dwindled since the country's independence from Soviet rule with many leaving for Israel.
The mayor's office of the capital Dushanbe declined to comment but the government has previously promised to allocate a new plot of land for the synagogue .
Abdurakhmanov said he had yet to hear from the city authorities about its fate.

It will be interesting to see when, where, or if that materializes.
The building technically belonged to the state because Soviet officials nationalized it in 1951 while allowing Jews to continue to worship there.
Before its demolition, the synagogue ran a daily canteen for the poor and allocated humanitarian aid to its mainly elderly community members with an average monthly income of about $20.
Lev Leviev, head of the world Bukhara Jews congress and an Israeli businessman, said he had discussed the synagogue's reconstruction with Tajikistan's president.
But, addressing reporters after talks with Rakhmon, Leviev declined to give further details, saying it was a "subtle and delicate issue."
Turkey must get out of NATO. NATO must get out of Kosovo-Serbia. Croats must get out of Crajina. All muslims must get out of Christian and Jewish land. Turks must get out of Cyprus. Turks must get out of "Istanbul". "Palestinians" must get out of Israel. Israel must become independent from USA.

Offline TruthSpreader

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WeThePeopleZeb
That's awful. Where are the Tajik Jews going to have their house of worship?

Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Time for Tajik Jews to go to Israel..
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline TruthSpreader

• Silver Star JTF Member
Time for Tajik Jews to go to Israel..

Right on.

Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
Tajik Jews are Bukharin Jews

Bukharian Jews are nice people.
I am urinating on a Koran.

Offline TruthSpreader

• Silver Star JTF Member

Really? I never knew that.

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer

do you know any?

Yes, I know many. I have certainly come in contact with many and they have been good people.

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer

do you know any?

you live in the NY area? if yes try to come Sunday July 6 to Brooklyn were going to have a great lecture by Rabbi Yossi Mizrachi

Yes, I know many. I have certainly come in contact with many and they have been good people.

Yonotan, I do live in NYC but I wont be coming to the lecture. I do appreciate your invitation though. The lecture isn't really for me.