Author Topic: Old photographs of Jews in Samarkand  (Read 3054 times)

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
Old photographs of Jews in Samarkand
« on: July 01, 2008, 06:47:20 AM »
I thought these were neat and wanted to share them.

Jewish girls

Yeshiva boys

(The color is made with some special technique in the last one. But it's old - from 100 years ago).

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Old photographs of Jews in Samarkand
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 07:39:55 AM »
Yes the bottom-picture is. You can see it i.e. on the tube left-side and on the balustrade. I have had an old garden book about roses from the 19th century there they used the technique of "colorieren*" too.

*I don't know the English term.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 08:11:55 AM »
Oh, I found where the website I got the images from talks about the coloring process:

Prokudin-Gorskii created his negatives by using a camera that exposed one oblong glass plate three times in rapid succession through three different color filters: blue, green, and red. For formal presentations, he printed positive glass slides of these negatives and projected them through a triple lens magic lantern. Prokudin-Gorskii would project the slide through the three lenses, and, with the use of color filters, superimpose the three exposures to form a full color image on a screen.

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/pp/prokhtml/prokcolor.html

Fascinating. Very inventive!

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 08:13:22 AM »
I like Bucharian jews. They are nicer people than most ashkenazim that I have met. I myself an ashkenaz, but I am just saying.
I am urinating on a Koran.

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 08:20:13 AM »
I like Bucharian jews. They are nicer people than most ashkenazim that I have met. I myself an ashkenaz, but I am just saying.

I only met one Bucharian Jew (from Tashkent). She was a nice lady.

I wonder whether a photographer is himself partly Jewish. Gorski is typically a Jewish surname, which refers to a "mountain Jew" (gorskiy yevrey), which means a Jew from Caucasus. I've seen this surname among the Poles, but I don't know whether it could be indigenously Polish or it must have belonged to people with some distant Jewish ancestry.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 08:21:45 AM by Masha »

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 08:33:46 AM »
Ha-ha. Just for comparison. Here are some other females from Samarkand (a Muslim city) from the same period:

Beautiful faces.  ;D

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 09:30:53 AM »
Yes look at the houses too. The Jews have nice houses with a lot windows that make it bright, warm and nice.

The Muslimes live in dirty caves.  ;D
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Haim_Ben_Shimon_3JFB

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 10:00:30 AM »

I wonder whether a photographer is himself partly Jewish. Gorski is typically a Jewish surname, which refers to a "mountain Jew" (gorskiy yevrey), which means a Jew from Caucasus. I've seen this surname among the Poles, but I don't know whether it could be indigenously Polish or it must have belonged to people with some distant Jewish ancestry.
Yohnathan ben Yakov is bukharian

Offline AsheDina

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 10:03:49 AM »
I thought these were neat and wanted to share them.

Jewish girls

Yeshiva boys

(The color is made with some special technique in the last one. But it's old - from 100 years ago).

The top one on the left, looks EXACTLY like my Nana when that age.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 10:37:58 AM »

Gorski is just a normal Russian name. The Gorskis that I've met were Russian orthodox. Although, I've met Lutheran Goldsteins as well, so don't go by me lol.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 01:32:52 PM »
I think in English it's called "coloration" and the photos that it is done to are called "colorized".

Those are some very nice pictures.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 01:39:11 PM »
I think in English it's called "coloration" and the photos that it is done to are called "colorized".

Those are some very nice pictures.

Nice to know. :)

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 03:56:36 PM »
Ha-ha. Just for comparison. Here are some other females from Samarkand (a Muslim city) from the same period:

Beautiful faces.  ;D

There are no windows in that house, so they put the curtains on the women. ;D

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 04:06:44 PM »
Many people beleive that Bukharian Jews come from the Lost tribes of Israel more specifically Yissachar and Naftali.
Post questions here for the ASK JUDEA TORAH SHOW

my blog: Yehudi-Nation

Who is truly wise? He who can see the future. I see tommorow today and I want to end it - Rabbi Meir Daweedh Kahana

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 04:15:38 PM »
Which one's the chicken?

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 01:24:10 AM »
Wow
Jews have really been scattered.
From the desert to the freezing cold.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 01:28:04 AM »

Beautiful faces.  ;D
Looks like a robe hanging on a coat rack. Or a Druid. Or a decapitated person propped up on a wall (which Muzzie butchers have done thousands of times).