Author Topic: SUNDANCE: 12 YEAR-OLD RAPE FILM...  (Read 2176 times)

Offline azrom

• Senior JTFer
SUNDANCE: 12 YEAR-OLD RAPE FILM...
« on: January 23, 2007, 04:06:27 PM »
"It was gossip, a rumor, like a lot of things about people are. It's really a beautiful story and I really hope that a lot of people get to see it and I hope that a lot of people learn from it."

12-year old Dakota Fanning responding to pre-screening uproar over "Hounddog" on the CHUD website.

Back when rumors first began to circulate, the film now known as "Hounddog" existed only in script form and was officially referred to as the "Untitled Dakota Fanning Project." As principal photography got underway, however, talk of possible child abuse both in the film and in the filming began to surface online. At the center of the controversy a rape scene involving Fanning's character.

Written and directed by Deborah Kampmeier and filmed in North Carolina, "Hounddog" is a dark story revolving around an abused young girl and her efforts to heal and survive through her obsession with Elvis Presley and his music. Fanning, who turns thirteen next month, spoke of the setting during a recent interview with Time Magazine.

"It's about a young girl in the South. She has overcome some really hard things in her life through music, especially the blues and Elvis Presley. I have to sing a little bit in the movie. It's the period when Elvis is touring in his pink Cadillac and starting to get really popular, so I had to learn about that. It's about overcoming adversity and still being yourself and not having to change who you are."

"Hounddog," which also features Robin Wright Penn, David Morse, and Piper Laurie premiers Monday, January 22, in the "dramatic film competition" category at the Racquet Club screening venue with cast and filmmaker scheduled for a "Q & A" afterwards. According to reports, Fanning, although not familiar with a ski-town environment, is very excited to hit the slopes during her stay.

In continuing her interview with CHUD, the highly bankable young actress proves she is becoming quite the quick study in the field of ethnomusicology -- again, speaking of her precocious character, Lewellen. "She overcomes all the hard things in her life through Elvis and through the blues and Big Mama Thornton, who was the first one to record Hound Dog." Being hip to Big Mama when you're only twelve is rather cool, indeed.

According to all involved, including her mother, the controversial rape scene was "carefully choreographed." The fuss in general seems to be about whether such a young actress should have been used in the actual filming.

The turmoil over the scene even led to a temporary halt in filming due to funding being pulled. Crisis was averted, however, and filming able to continue once a group of emergency investors were located and brought onboard. Those involved in the project have "circled their wagons" and defend it as an important film telling an important story.

All agree that Fanning is called upon to perform a much more explicit scene than were required in the roles taken by Jodie Foster as a 12-year old prostitute in Martin Scorsese's 1976 "Taxi Driver" and Brooke Shields as an even younger member of a New Orleans brothel in Louis Malle's 1978 "Pretty Baby," both which were driven much more by innuendo.

But, according to Fanning, "it's no darker than "Hide and Seek" or "Man on Fire," a couple of her previous roles. "I still am going through difficult things in those films as well, and nobody seemed to talk about that!"

"It's really no different than playing any other character I'm still not playing myself. I get to experience different things people go through without going through them myself, which is no different from watching a news story and learning from that. It's an emotionally moving movie, and I hope people enjoy it."

"Hounddog" will screen Monday, Jan. 22 at 8:30 p.m. at the Racquet Club.

http://www.parkrecord.com/ci_5047356?source=rss
"Negroes are a form of animal and it is against the will of God and nature to mate with such creatures. It is specifically forbidden in the Holy Bible. The Negro is still in the ape stage, actually a higher form of gorilla. They are retarded, 200,000 years behind the white race. They suffer from sickle-cell trait, a hereditary racial characteristic of negroes, and is found in no other race - Negroes have diseased blood". - Prof. Charles Carroll

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
Re: SUNDANCE: 12 YEAR-OLD RAPE FILM...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 07:57:09 PM »
I'm not all that bothered by it, honestly. This happens in real life. We should be a lot more outraged by real-life child rape than a movie.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 01:40:18 AM »
PS: Why couldn't the movie have depicted the girl being raped by a priest? Happens every day.

Offline Fruit of thy loins

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 12:10:21 PM »
Am I correct in saying that she will be 'raped' on screen by a white man?

Here's something that these 'cutting edge' alternative movie-makers should try and make an accuate depiction of: the horrendous gang-rapes of white girls committed by [censored] all over America and Europe.

You very quickly see their true cowardly selves come to the fore when they are challenged in this way.
Every white woman deserves the black man of her dreams.  But what does every white man deserve?

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 05:50:51 PM »
As well as moslems
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 01:31:07 AM »
But you know the Hollyqueer Establishment will NEVER allow the portrayal of a black, Muslim, homosexual, or Catholic as the villain.