Author Topic: We're always with you, says Balls  (Read 1572 times)

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
We're always with you, says Balls
« on: July 08, 2008, 09:42:55 AM »
note: I saw an article with that heading - "We're always with you, says Balls"
in a stupid paper, the british JC.

The words of Ed Balls (Schools secretary) are quoted below

"I know that all of us hope and strive and pray for peace and stability in israel, as we also work for an independent and viable prosperous palestinian state".

In britain we have an an appropriate response for Mr Balls  - Bollocks!   

He did say he admired the courage of the young people of sdorot(constantly shelled by kassams).. Of course, he didn't mention the courage of the settlers.

Offline Kushiel

• Junior JTFer
Re: We're always with you, says Balls
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 11:40:18 AM »
the sad thing is compared to many British (from what i can gather), aknowledging the courage of Sderot is a radicaly pro-Israeli thing... even the Archbishop of Canterbury says sharia law has a place in UK society!

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 12:39:01 PM »
the sad thing is compared to many British (from what i can gather), aknowledging the courage of Sderot is a radicaly pro-Israeli thing... even the Archbishop of Canterbury says sharia law has a place in UK society!

I wouldn't say "even" the archbishop of canterbury.  It makes him sound like he is a relatively conservative voice.

The Sun is the most widely read paper in britain, and although it's very sexually liberal - it has the well known "page 3 girl", it is politically quite sensible and right wing.  They would list the archbishop as a prime example of things deteriorating in britain. There are some radio shows that are a bit right wing, like some hosts on TalkSport.

The british television media is very left wing though, as are most newspapers.

Even left wing comedians make jokes about the archbishop..

Many think  the right are a silent majourity. Given that the Sun is so widely read, that is very likely.

But younger people might be more left wing.. what with more people going to university into left wing environments. Apparently this was always the case though, and when they get older they usually go more to the right.
Not many people have the brains to have been right wing since they were kids!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 12:43:18 PM by q_q_ »

Offline Kushiel

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 01:29:34 PM »
yeah, even i'll admit that altough im still young (17), years back i was kissing arab ass for left wing approval, thank G-d I can finally stick up for what is right and right wing. Cheers for the insight in british politics, it's hard to find that kind of stuff out with the internet.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 01:57:45 PM »
yeah, even i'll admit that altough im still young (17), years back i was kissing arab donkey for left wing approval, thank G-d I can finally stick up for what is right and right wing. Cheers for the insight in british politics, it's hard to find that kind of stuff out with the internet.

no prob. You know the funniest thing about the current Archbishop of canterbury, Rowan williams, is that he is quite openly a pagan druid.. It was big news at one time.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/2138793.stm

Offline Kushiel

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 01:59:26 PM »
yeah, even i'll admit that altough im still young (17), years back i was kissing arab donkey for left wing approval, thank G-d I can finally stick up for what is right and right wing. Cheers for the insight in british politics, it's hard to find that kind of stuff out with the internet.

no prob. You know the funniest thing about the current Archbishop of canterbury, Rowan williams, is that he is quite openly a pagan druid.. It was big news at one time.

Far out! that sounds as logical as applying to be the popes chief Rabbi!

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 02:35:04 PM »

Far out! that sounds as logical as applying to be the popes chief Rabbi!

Religion in britain nowadays is not a serious thing..

Gordon Brown is Scottish, his father was a pastor, and his father like many pastors, can speak hebrew - they learn hebrew to read the jewish/hebrew bible in its original language.

Yet Gordon Brown actually has a huge admiration/respect for the the chief rabbi jonathan sacks. Prob more than any other religious leader.

Gordon Brown said of him (May 2003), "The Chief Rabbi is not just a distinguished scholar but a distinguished spiritual leader and a globally respected ambassador for the Jewish community here in Britain. He is respected in every continent because he has done more than anyone in Britain today to focus our attention on the needs and challenges of community in the global world."

Gordon brown reads his books and often asks him for advice..

They really are quite close. See this article! Gordon Brown took one of Sack's books with him on his honeymoon, and the 2 cambridge graduates meet regularly for intellectual discussions about philosophical ideas on how to build a good society.
After his pastoral father died, he developed a semi-pastoral relationship with the chief rabbi!
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2006/aug/13/uk.labour

Amongst the more religious jews, rabbi sacks is not that important, a chief rabbi is more of a PR guy, not an expert on jewish law, or jewish philosophy.  Sometimes they are experts in some area of jewish law. But in this case, a nice friendly warm intellectual, so good for the job.

His books have nice ideas, but with only an inkling of something from the bible.

Offline Kushiel

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 02:25:08 AM »
This is very interesting and makes england seem a bit better than i thought.. over here the govt only toadies to islamic councils, even when the head called for the systematic rape of white women in response to a lebanese gang of rapists. No exageration ill post the sick tale of "sheik" Hilali in a new thread soon.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 10:30:18 AM »
The govt pandering to muslims is every day news..