Author Topic: More twisted thinking from Shmuley Boteach  (Read 1883 times)

Offline Mifletzet

• Senior JTFer

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
Re: More twisted thinking from Shmuley Boteach
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 08:34:07 PM »
I skimmed over it... what was wrong with it? He actually seemed to argue common sense.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 08:52:15 PM »
who reads boteach except maybe for amusement sometimes.

he writes about yin yang and his idea that judaism is for everybody. He has not gained kavod - respect or honour in the religious jewish world,  so he seeks it from gentiles.

rabbi yitchak shochet, son of the brilliant rabbi dr J immanuel schochet said regarding boteach's "counter missionary work",  Boteach is totally out of his depth.  He engages them in 20 or lots of part discussions. Which is great advertising for them.  He was given a top job by the lubavitcher rebbe , to be the rabbi for jews at oxford university campus  and he turned it into a joke,  the lechaim society, with celebrities speaking, nothing to do with judaism . He even invited rabin(whose land for peace policies the L rebbe always opposed) , and he was  officially rejected by lubavitch.  Any serious orthodox group would disassociate/distance themselves from him, especially if he used their name.

I wouldn't necessarily go as far as to say he is not orthodox, but he is off the wall.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 08:53:57 PM »
I know nothing about him, but that particular piece he wrote (advocating executing terrorists) looked fine to me. (Although if it were me, I would have skipped the part about giving them a "fair trial".)

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 08:55:08 PM »
my point is I wouldn't give his stuff a serious read.  Unless somebody told me he wrote something really amusing, in which case he should highlight it and not expect people to wade through it

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 08:55:50 PM »
Maybe so, but this piece of his was pretty benign.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 11:06:10 PM »

he writes about yin yang and his idea that judaism is for everybody. He has not gained kavod - respect or honour in the religious jewish world,  so he seeks it from gentiles.

rabbi yitchak shochet, son of the brilliant rabbi dr J immanuel schochet said regarding boteach's "counter missionary work",  Boteach is totally out of his depth.  He engages them in 20 or lots of part discussions. Which is great advertising for them.  He was given a top job by the lubavitcher rebbe , to be the rabbi for jews at oxford university campus  and he turned it into a joke,  the lechaim society, with celebrities speaking, nothing to do with judaism . He even invited rabin(whose land for peace policies the L rebbe always opposed) , and he was  officially rejected by lubavitch.  Any serious orthodox group would disassociate/distance themselves from him, especially if he used their name.

I wouldn't necessarily go as far as to say he is not orthodox, but he is off the wall.

interesting...QQ, can you find for us and post where the lubovitch officially rejected Boteach?
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 11:34:33 PM »
lol, shmuley has made a joke of himself, you can't help but pity him.... but at the same time sometimes u just wish he would stop talking....

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 08:34:45 AM »

interesting...QQ, can you find for us and post where the lubovitch officially rejected Boteach?

http://www.slate.com/id/103323/
1994 Shmuley was officially rejected by Crown Heights after inviting Yitzhak Rabin to speak at L'Chaim against the orders of the Rebbe, who strongly opposed Rabin's land-for-peace position. The penalty was largely symbolic, since Shmuley had become a master fund-raiser (using British parsonage laws to purchase a second home in North London) and was financially independent
note-  L  Rebbe died 1990. But he was always against land for peace.

""To get Jews interested in the Jewish world," he later said, "you have to get the non-Jews interested. The Jews will follow what the non-Jews are doing"

Shmuley says he wants to turn Judaism into "the next Buddhism," "mainstreaming" the religion in order to strengthen i

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'Chaim_Society
"
Rabbi Boteach and the Chabad-Lubavitch organization in England did not agree on all issues regarding how to reach out to Jewish students at Oxford and the role of non-Jewish students. Booker's presidency exacerbated the differences, and Boteach ended his relationship with the organization after an invitation he extended to Yitzhak Rabin to speak at Oxford was rejected by Chabad leadership."

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 08:36:21 PM »
And the Jerusalem post is another lefty Israeli newspaper which disgusts me when I read it. Most of the comments were compassionate with the bloody murdering terrrorist Kuntard.

May I see Kuntars dead carcass soon.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 11:09:00 PM »
And the Jerusalem post is another lefty Israeli newspaper which disgusts me when I read it. Most of the comments were compassionate with the bloody murdering terrrorist Kuntard.

May I see Kuntars dead carcass soon.

But Boteach was arguing that we should execute terrorists. How can you blame him for what the self-hating losers of that paper say?