Poll

How many times do you go on average?

1-2
3-4
5-6
7-8

Author Topic: Church or Shul  (Read 2400 times)

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
Church or Shul
« on: July 27, 2008, 09:26:59 PM »
????
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 09:35:52 PM by Americanhero »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Church
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 09:28:25 PM »
Jews dont go to church...

I go to shul every Shabbat and holiday...

muman613

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shul
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 09:53:27 PM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Shamgar

• Master JTFer
  • Preservation of Dal al-Harb
    • TangoMike3
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 09:35:58 PM »
Wed night, Sunday AM and Sunday PM. That would be 3 times per week x 52 = 156 per year /12 = 13.
Infidels fighting Obamazombies and Islamazombies in the wastelands of the former United States.

"I will stand with the Blue Line should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 09:37:30 PM »

muman613

I added Shul to the topic

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Church or Shul
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 09:39:35 PM »
Going to shul is not a good indicator of religious observance. A person can pray at home or have a minyan in his home. I daven with a minyan several times a week...

muman613
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 09:40:36 PM »

muman613

Thank you... I am in a small community and our shul is run by the progressive/liberals and I daven with the Orthodox. We dont have our own shul, but we have a sefer Torah for Shabbat and holidays.

muman613

PS: I do pay dues to the progressive synagogue despite not really davening with them. I see the good they do. If not for them I would not have found my Orthodox Rabbi who did outreach to the synagogue...

« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 09:42:43 PM by muman613 »

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 09:40:56 PM »
Going to shul is not a good indicator of religious observance. A person can pray at home or have a minyan in his home. I daven with a minyan several times a week...

muman613

I just wanted to know on average how many times jtf members go to Church/Shul

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 09:58:04 PM »
huh?  How many times a week? a day? a year? a month?...i would cancel this poll out or edit it...
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 10:00:57 PM »
huh?  How many times a week? a day? a year? a month?...i would cancel this poll out or edit it...

I locked it
you can post how mant times a week or a  month

Offline Christian Zionist

• Master JTFer
  • homosexuality is an abomination to God-Lev.18:22
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 10:03:30 PM »
Every Sunday and try to attend other sessions during the week.
Isaiah 62:1 -  For Zion's sake I am not silent, And for Jerusalem's sake I do not rest, Till her righteousness go out as brightness, And her salvation, as a torch that burns.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 10:07:48 PM »
it depends..i sometimes pray at home...i go on high holidays to shul..and an occasional shabbat...i have other ways of praying and walking with Gd that aren't typical of Jews...but i could use a good shul every now and then on shabbat. Gd willing once I'm married, I will go regularly with Gd's help.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline takebackourtemple

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2008, 10:19:55 PM »

muman613

It's actually not a "shul" but a "Bait Knesset". In a conversation with an orthodox rabbi many years ago I was told that "Church", just like "Temple" actually is a valid English name to use, but is generally not because of it's Christian association. He mentioned how the phone books used to list "Synagogues" as "Churches".
   Jews have to pray three times a day. The rabbis have decreed that it is best to be done in the Bait Knesset when possible.
   Technically Jews are supposed to go three times a week. I usually only go on Fridays and Saturdays but sometimes on Wednesdays.
   I was reading something about the origins of reform Judaism on Shabbat. One of the people involved David Einhorn YS"Z had his congregation change the Shabbat from Saturday to Sunday. Technically Jews are supposed to go to services on Sunday just like they should every day of the day of the week, but these are weekday and not Shabbat services. What would be interesting would be in a place where most people have to drive. If the congregation held big services on Sunday(in addition to their Shabbat ones) as weekday services so that people who would normally drive could stay home with their families on Shabbat but still participate in major services with the congregation.

Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline takebackourtemple

• Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2008, 10:21:59 PM »
   I go most Fridays and Saturdays. Occasionally I'll miss a few and occasionally I'll go on Wednesdays.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2008, 10:29:34 PM »
I go for Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur, and sometimes Passover. 

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2008, 10:30:52 PM »
This is funny there is only one Christian who answered

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2008, 11:01:39 PM »

muman613

It's actually not a "shul" but a "Bait Knesset". In a conversation with an orthodox rabbi many years ago I was told that "Church", just like "Temple" actually is a valid English name to use, but is generally not because of it's Christian association. He mentioned how the phone books used to list "Synagogues" as "Churches".
   Jews have to pray three times a day. The rabbis have decreed that it is best to be done in the Bait Knesset when possible.
   Technically Jews are supposed to go three times a week. I usually only go on Fridays and Saturdays but sometimes on Wednesdays.
   I was reading something about the origins of reform Judaism on Shabbat. One of the people involved David Einhorn YS"Z had his congregation change the Shabbat from Saturday to Sunday. Technically Jews are supposed to go to services on Sunday just like they should every day of the day of the week, but these are weekday and not Shabbat services. What would be interesting would be in a place where most people have to drive. If the congregation held big services on Sunday(in addition to their Shabbat ones) as weekday services so that people who would normally drive could stay home with their families on Shabbat but still participate in major services with the congregation.

Big services or small services does not matter. Shabb-t is Shabb-t and Sunday is sunday ( as the other days of the week). Going to Synagogue is a great thing, but it is not as major as some make it out to be. Of-couse no one should be reading this and saying, ooh well Im not going to go to Shul becuase someone said this or that, but people must realise that going to Shul expecially on Shabb-t by breaking Shabb-t (for example driving there) is much much worse then staying home and praying on one's own. Those who might have wrongly done soo in the past should right away change, and should focus more on keeping the Holy Shabb-t instead of praying with a Minyan (because Shabb-t is the convenent between G-d and His nation and the breaking of Shabb-t, is serious, where even with Tishuva one is still going to get some punishments becuase it is a Hayav Mita sin and on the other hand praying with a Minyan is by the Rabbi's and it is not as strick as keeping Shabb-t. Infact Rav Ovadia Yosef Shlita writes that one can pray without a Minyan if he is able to concentrate better when he is alone. 
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2008, 11:07:41 PM »
Ok, Ill answer....once or twice a week, but I am more into staying at home and listening to various programs at the moment....and participating in that way....and praying and reading my bible.....Im trying to find a local place to go where there are real people at in person.....it's hard sometimes...to find the right place, so I can be picky sometimes.......along with different variables in what is going on in my life, etc.

whew.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline nopeaceforland

• Master JTFer
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2008, 11:39:25 PM »
Since I'm interviewing all over the country for a job. I'm having a hard time going to shul, but once I settle in wherever I end up, I want to work on being more religious preferably Modern Orthodox.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2008, 11:42:32 PM »
I agree, I used to drive to Shul on Shabbat, but it is wrong and I seldom drive. Our Rabbi has places where we can stay over Friday night.

muman613

Offline AsheDina

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2008, 11:59:05 PM »
 Nobody really likes me at the synagogue too much here, not for 20 years, because I have ALWAYS been a 'conservative' American, and they are total FAR LEFT, and man I MEAN IT, I have written MANY articles in the newspaper here on Israel- and LEAVE ISRAEL ALONE, and they HATE this, they think that peace is achievable with the PLO.. But I celebrate Shabbat anyway with them, when I can!!  OH YEAH baby!!  ha ha ha.  Yep, yessiree- I dance like David did, at first site of the TORAH, near the end. It is GOLD at the top, with bells, but I dont EVER even try to touch the TORAH. I just dont. The Synagogue that is in my town, I have not visited in a long while, but Harold Gordon goes there, and I LOVE HIM.
  Here is a brief synopsis of Harold Gordons story:

"The Last Sunrise" by Harold Gordon
It happened so long ago. Had I not forced myself with all my mental strength to imprint upon my very young mind these thoughts which I'm about to put down in print, they would have vanished from my memory long ago like the dust from the prairie.
Follow Harold's Journey Through His Interactive Map (With Audio)
Synopsis
The Last Sunrise by Harold Gordon

My name is Harold Gordon now! But 55 years ago I was a (10) year old boy whose name was Hirshel Grodzienski. I lived with my family in Grodno, Poland, a city of 65,000 inhabitants. 25,000 were of the Jewish faith and the majority were of Catholic persuasion . We lived side by side and in peace most of the time.

Grodno is located at the most north Eastern corner of Poland, on the Niemen River bordering Lithuania. 136 kilometers to the North was the Baltic Sea and the Polish port city of Gdansk.

Within months after the Nazis occupied Grodno, my entire family except for my father, were gassed, burned and vaporized without leaving a trace of their existence.

All those years while I was imprisoned in Auschwitz, Dachau, and other extermination camps I kept praying to God. Often, when the pain became too much to bear I would say, God if you let me live I promise to take revenge and kill every Nazi that crosses my path. I will make them pay for taking my family from me and leaving me without a burial site to visit.

On May 8, 1945, when the war ended it was time to keep my promise. I began thinking. How many Nazis can I kill before I die, 10, 100, 1000. ? Then what? Who will remember my mother, grandparents, brother, aunts and uncles after I am gone.

I said to God, God, please forgive me for not keeping my promise. I have another plan in its place. I will make a good life for myself. A life that my mother would be proud of. I will raise a family, leave behind descendants so that there will be grandchildren for them to remember after I am gone. I will not forget my ancestors, I will put my memories in the deepest corner of my mind to recall them before my days on earth are ended.

Suddenly and without warning, I heard a call. Something began rumbling in my brain like a volcano. I knew it was time to fulfill my second promise.

I sat down at my computer every night after work, like a video it was all right before my eyes. Two years later, my book, The Last Sunrise was completed.

I couldn't help but wonder. Was there something else that God had in mind for me to fulfill? I was the youngest survivor from a city of 25,000 Jews. Why was I chosen to live. I was not the smartest nor the strongest. I was tormented looking for an answer.

God did not reveal himself to me. Not in my sleep nor in a vision. I had to search the deepest regions of my soul to arrive at an answer that I could accept and live with.

THREE REASONS EMERGED AND SURFACED FROM DEEP WITHIN MY HEART:

To memorialize my beloved family, by putting their images in my book so that many, all over the world would know that they once lived and walked this earth. So that my mother in Heaven would be proud of the work I have done for my family and for others.
To help others, who have suffered and been abused, by helping them to let go of anger and resentments in order for them to focus all their energies on positive goals and a better life for themselves and their loved ones.
To give to charity: Whenever I speak to a Synagogue, Church, or to a service organization I always donate a portion of the proceeds from The Last Sunrise to that organization. By doing so I give to all charities and not just to my favorite.
TO THOSE OF YOU WHO don't KNOW ME.
  I arrived in the U.S.A. in Dec. 1946 at the age of (15). After paying for my passage I had $10.00 left. I am happy to say that I have never collected welfare, or unemployment, I served in the Korean war, and spent 42 years as a UNOCAL DEALER in the service station business. I have donated my time during the past (2) years to public service speaking to schools, Universities and to service organizations, without pay. Repaying this great country for permitting me to come here and to make it my home.
  One of my greatest rewards and a fulfillment is to be witness to the erection of a permanent monument. THE UNITED STATES HOLOCAUST MEMORIAL MUSEUM IN WASHINGTON D.C., and to attend the opening on April 26, 1993.

My wife Joyce and I are co-founders and Charter Members of the newly completed Holocaust Museum in Washington D.C., where my Family's records reside among the many.

PS : Another unexpected phenomenon which continues to fill my heart with joy are the hundreds of letters that I have received and continue to receive from students, teachers, professors, and others who have read and benefitted from the contents of The Last Sunrise.

SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates