Author Topic: What is the going rate for Krav Maga Classes  (Read 1474 times)

Offline takebackourtemple

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
What is the going rate for Krav Maga Classes
« on: August 05, 2008, 11:36:19 PM »
   I went to a martial arts school and the guy running it tried to get me to sign up for a year at $150/month plus something like a $300 registration fee. This also only includes two classes a week and the guy is not a grandmaster or anything like that. At least I think this is steep. From anyone here who takes it, what is a reasonable rate for Krav Maga classes. I see that most of the schools are offering it these days. It must be the popular thing.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline t_h_j

• Master JTFer
Re: What is the going rate for Krav Maga Classes
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 12:26:49 AM »
why do you want to take krav maga?  there are better things then that which also happen to be more effective.  Just find a good boxing gym, and a good wrestling/brazilian jiu jitsu gym.  Krav Maga is probably expensive because its somewhat rare.  Boxing should cost you around 50-70 a month.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 12:32:49 AM by t_h_j »

Offline takebackourtemple

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 09:18:18 PM »
   Actually Krav Maga is the en vogue style right now. Places might not specialize in it, but a lot of places offer it as a second martial art. The two closest schools to me both teach Israeli self-defense in addition to their primary Asian martial arts. I did have a great class today, though I didn't see anything specifically Israeli about it. The real reason I want to try Krav Maga is just because it is an Israeli martial art. Boxing bores me and wrestling is gay, even though the Krav Maga had it. Jiu Jitsu might be intersting, but I don't want to risk getting hurt that much.

Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 09:19:11 PM »
There are plenty of places to learn Krav Maga in the US, theres a forum as well if you google it.

Offline Jericho Missile

• Full JTFer
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 09:33:02 PM »
I heard Krava Maga is really good.  My brother's friend is a great street fighter.  He's trained in boxing for 9 years, Karate, you name it.  He took Krav Maga, he said it was really effective.   He lifts hard too, so don't quit the weights if you sign up for Krav Maga. 

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 09:52:21 PM »
You say wrestling is gay, but Jiu Jitsu prob involves - if not rolling around on the floor a bit with another guy - then possibly lying there with his leg around your neck..  So, a bit uncomfortable.   I wouldn't do it.. but it's very effective.  The leg(probably a bare leg) around the neck would be a choke lightly applied, but still.

Boxing is boring to watch, but doing it may not be boring.. It's certainly a good cardio workout. And its effectiveness is HUGE.
It's probably one of the number 1 arts for  - stand up fighting -.

Modern fights train in MMA. Which involves a standing art, an art for ground fighting.. So, boxing(for standing),   jiu jitsu(for ground fighting).   Boxing is prob good for ground fighting too if doing GnP(ground and pound!).    They can do Judo-for taking down. So a fighter may box a bit, do a judo take down, and then some jiu jitsu on the ground.

If you're serious you shouldn't say "boxing is boring".. It's SO effective.
Punches you learn in krav maga would be nothing compared to those of a boxer.
And punches are part of the bread and butter of a street fight .

The only problem with boxing is that it is missing kicks. So many do kickboxing. But even kickboxers often train as boxers, to get better punches.

Boxers are also way ahead, in their workout, their eating.. Always watching their weight to move safely from one weight to another if they want to. Having good physical strength. Boxers are very complete athletes in that sense.

People doing karate are not doing any of that.  I doubt krav maga does either. The israeli army does alot of strength training anyway. 

The only thing that puts me off boxing, is I don't want a broken nose!

« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 09:57:51 PM by q_q_ »

Offline t_h_j

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 10:42:09 PM »
wrestling is only gay if you aren't secure about your masculinity.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 12:17:38 AM »

I wouldn't say that wrestling is gay.

But a situation such as in jiu jitsu, of having a man's bare leg wrapped around your neck. I wouldn't say that's gay either 'cos it is a choke hold and is meant for that. But it could be an uncomfortable - regardless of whether you are secure or not.

In chats with people, I have heard stories of how somebody is sitting down somewhere, and the guy next to him puts his hand on his leg, and doesn't remove it.  It happened to me once, a feeling that is the opposite of attraction occurs, one gets -very- angry.  In my case, we had chairs with wheels  so I rolled my chair back..    In analysis of the situation with an indian I knew(don't know how reliable), he said it's the custom to behave like that in south india where he was from, men like to touch each other.

And some girls do have hairy legs, hairier than some guys.  Not much of an attractive appeal to them, one would have to think about a different area.   If you sampled lots of girls and men in such holds, and you got attracted to all the girls' legs, I really don't know if the radar might give some false positives for men - what if one or two men have legs like a girl?  I think what most likely would happen, is as a defence mechanism, you'd be attracted to -none- of them, and that's not so good either, you see your wife's legs and it does nothing.  Having never done jiu jitsu, I haven't faced that problem. But I have seen men and women doing jiu jitsu, and the man is very desensitized to the woman(as he would be to a man, he doesn't feel repulsion, just, nothing).
I did once hear that nudists often become impotent, simply from being desensitised to the sexual perspective of the body.

It's healthy to be repulsed by the feel of a man's leg, and attracted by the feel of a woman's leg.
One might be unfortunate enough to experience the former if driving a small car and the guy in the seat next to you is wearing shorts.  "MOVE YOUR LEG" , I shouted, as my driving got more and more angry and erratic as I accelerated to the max for that gear, avoiding changing gear!!!!

Offline t_h_j

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 12:33:23 AM »

I wouldn't say that wrestling is gay.

But a situation such as in jiu jitsu, of having a man's bare leg wrapped around your neck. I wouldn't say that's gay either 'cos it is a choke hold and is meant for that. But it could be an uncomfortable - regardless of whether you are secure or not.

In chats with people, I have heard stories of how somebody is sitting down somewhere, and the guy next to him puts his hand on his leg, and doesn't remove it.  It happened to me once, a feeling that is the opposite of attraction occurs, one gets -very- angry.  In my case, we had chairs with wheels  so I rolled my chair back..    In analysis of the situation with an indian I knew(don't know how reliable), he said it's the custom to behave like that in south india where he was from, men like to touch each other.

And some girls do have hairy legs, hairier than some guys.  Not much of an attractive appeal to them, one would have to think about a different area.   If you sampled lots of girls and men in such holds, and you got attracted to all the girls' legs, I really don't know if the radar might give some false positives for men - what if one or two men have legs like a girl?  I think what most likely would happen, is as a defence mechanism, you'd be attracted to -none- of them, and that's not so good either, you see your wife's legs and it does nothing.  Having never done jiu jitsu, I haven't faced that problem. But I have seen men and women doing jiu jitsu, and the man is very desensitized to the woman(as he would be to a man, he doesn't feel repulsion, just, nothing).
I did once hear that nudists often become impotent, simply from being desensitised to the sexual perspective of the body.

It's healthy to be repulsed by the feel of a man's leg, and attracted by the feel of a woman's leg.
One might be unfortunate enough to experience the former if driving a small car and the guy in the seat next to you is wearing shorts.  "MOVE YOUR LEG" , I shouted, as my driving got more and more angry and erratic as I accelerated to the max for that gear, avoiding changing gear!!!!

ive been doing it for about 4 years now.  Thoughts of sexuality or attraction/repulsion don't enter my mind, because i know its a sport.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 01:10:35 AM »
I think theres way too much concern here about fears of being gay because someones wrapping your body around you, if it's effective, who cares how gay it is, it's about survival. I don't think your opponents going to be telling you how gay your arm bar is when your about to snap it.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 01:54:20 AM »
<snip>
ive been doing it for about 4 years now.  Thoughts of sexuality or attraction/repulsion don't enter my mind, because i know its a sport.

so if a really attractive appealing girl , and suppose you're a legs man , and she was a legs woman, and there was alot of contact from her legs, it wouldn't do anything for you. No attraction.
?

If she did that in a bedroom it wouldn't be that different. It's like saying that if a nice looking girl does something and she's wearin a funny hat, then there's no attraction, and if there's no funny hat, then it is.

sexual attraction, can, and perhaps always, transcends the logic of the mind.  Not that it cannot be predicted logically, it can, but it  can hit the mind before logical thought does.
It is possible to avoid sexual thought, but it depends how provocative and fresh the situation is to you.
If part of the "sport" involved a girl who looks like "a pamela anderson"(or whoever you like),  by coincidence doing a similar thing or some move that contains what you -really- like. And you are not used to it. Then  no matter how much you tell yourself it's a sport,  you may be too sensitive to it, mind not prepared, and you  feel, in this case, attraction (rather than repulsion).

It is inevitable, that you have been somewhat desensitised. To the point that as long as you remember it's a sport, you don't get "attracted".  It clearly means that if it was not a sport, then any attraction you would get wouldn't be very powerful.  Because it's not even powerful enough to overwhelm your logic.

Offline t_h_j

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 05:08:10 AM »
<snip>

so if a really attractive appealing girl , and suppose you're a legs man , and she was a legs woman, and there was alot of contact from her legs, it wouldn't do anything for you. No attraction.
?

If she did that in a bedroom it wouldn't be that different. It's like saying that if a nice looking girl does something and she's wearin a funny hat, then there's no attraction, and if there's no funny hat, then it is.

sexual attraction, can, and perhaps always, transcends the logic of the mind.  Not that it cannot be predicted logically, it can, but it  can hit the mind before logical thought does.
It is possible to avoid sexual thought, but it depends how provocative and fresh the situation is to you.
If part of the "sport" involved a girl who looks like "a pamela anderson"(or whoever you like),  by coincidence doing a similar thing or some move that contains what you -really- like. And you are not used to it. Then  no matter how much you tell yourself it's a sport,  you may be too sensitive to it, mind not prepared, and you  feel, in this case, attraction (rather than repulsion).

It is inevitable, that you have been somewhat desensitised. To the point that as long as you remember it's a sport, you don't get "attracted".  It clearly means that if it was not a sport, then any attraction you would get wouldn't be very powerful.  Because it's not even powerful enough to overwhelm your logic.

no, it woudn't do anything lol.  I'm not 14 years old anymore.  I am capable of self control. 

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 09:36:44 AM »
<snip>

?

no, it woudn't do anything lol.  I'm not 14 years old anymore.  I am capable of self control. 

nothing to do with self control.  i'm not talking about -doing- anything.

one can use self control to not look, but the situation I described, you're looking and maybe holding her leg too.  One thing that might prevent a reaction is nerves - which can prevent all desires, including one for food or sleep.   
Another thing that can prevent it , is probably your case, that ou are desensitized enough that the feeling cannot overcome your logical thought(as in an "IF THEN" thought). Like, if she's wearing a silly hat, it doesn't matter what she's doing, it's a sport. 

I don't know where you pulled 14 from. A man's peak of sexual powers is actually at 17-22 (and I suppose he can probably maintain some high level for some years after, by refraining from wasteful activities)..
At 14 it's different, i'm not going to go into details of that..

I don't know how this can go over the head of a thinking adult male, but it's gone over yours.

Offline t_h_j

• Master JTFer
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 12:07:12 PM »
<snip>

?

nothing to do with self control.  i'm not talking about -doing- anything.

one can use self control to not look, but the situation I described, you're looking and maybe holding her leg too.  One thing that might prevent a reaction is nerves - which can prevent all desires, including one for food or sleep.   
Another thing that can prevent it , is probably your case, that ou are desensitized enough that the feeling cannot overcome your logical thought(as in an "IF THEN" thought). Like, if she's wearing a silly hat, it doesn't matter what she's doing, it's a sport. 

I don't know where you pulled 14 from. A man's peak of sexual powers is actually at 17-22 (and I suppose he can probably maintain some high level for some years after, by refraining from wasteful activities)..
At 14 it's different, i'm not going to go into details of that..

I don't know how this can go over the head of a thinking adult male, but it's gone over yours.

because its simply not true.  I'm not desensitized at all.  I simply don't get turned on every time i happen to bump into a female's body.  Its not about being sensitive or not. 

Offline Shamgar

• Master JTFer
  • Preservation of Dal al-Harb
    • TangoMike3
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 01:23:01 PM »
$150 per month is a couple afternoons at the gun range. We don't do no rollin' around with each other.  :laugh:
Infidels fighting Obamazombies and Islamazombies in the wastelands of the former United States.

"I will stand with the Blue Line should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."