Author Topic: Downloading movies/mp3's, is it really stealing?  (Read 1555 times)

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
Downloading movies/mp3's, is it really stealing?
« on: August 19, 2008, 02:23:38 PM »
So I'm wondering from a religious standpoint, I'm not sure how many members here download mp3's or movies online, but what i've come to identify as "stealing" is taking something that isn't yours, a physical item. In todays age, we have mp3's and music which one can download free.

Those who defend downloading mp3's, they claim that it gives them the option to sample a bands music before purchasing it. Others claim that it isn't harming the music industry because they likely would not have bought the cd to begin with.

Movies, ever since the introduction of DVD's, we were told piracy would be more difficult, the reverse happened, now movies are available while still in theatres.

Because pirated movies/music are in digital form, is this really a form of stealing? I'm curious what members opinions are on this.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Downloading movies/mp3's, is it really stealing?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 02:36:42 PM »
Shalom,

According to my understanding  any thing gained without paying for it is stealing. As such I do not engage in downloading mp3's unless the author of the material has given express permission for the material to be downloaded. People who publish material which is copyrighted and share it with others is stealing.

I have heard various arguments about this. I work in the digital video/audio business and my customers trust me with material. I would never engage in stealing this material.

muman613

PS: Stealing doesnt necessarily mean stealing a tangible item. It is possible to steal time too...
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 02:45:18 PM »
Shalom,

According to my understanding  any thing gained without paying for it is stealing. As such I do not engage in downloading mp3's unless the author of the material has given express permission for the material to be downloaded. People who publish material which is copyrighted and share it with others is stealing.

I have heard various arguments about this. I work in the digital video/audio business and my customers trust me with material. I would never engage in stealing this material.

muman613

PS: Stealing doesnt necessarily mean stealing a tangible item. It is possible to steal time too...

Wouldn't be open a very broad definition of what is stealing and what isn't?

For example, you go on youtube to view a newsclip from CNN about terrorism, CNN hasn't given you permission to view it, is that a form of stealing?

What about movies/music that are sold in foreign countries but not licensed in America, because it's not sold in the US, there is no way to buy it, so effectively would that be stealing by downloading unlicensed tv shows/music?

I watch Japanese MMA online because it isn't aired on tv here in the states nor is it available for broadcast, if I had the option to buy it, I would.

Do you understand where I am coming from?

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 02:45:45 PM »
pm me the spot where you are getting free mp3's..
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 02:51:00 PM »
Shalom,

muman613

For example, you go on youtube to view a newsclip from CNN about terrorism, CNN hasn't given you permission to view it, is that a form of stealing?

What about movies/music that are sold in foreign countries but not licensed in America, because it's not sold in the US, there is no way to buy it, so effectively would that be stealing by downloading unlicensed tv shows/music?

I watch Japanese MMA online because it isn't aired on tv here in the states nor is it available for broadcast, if I had the option to buy it, I would.

Hi,

I am not sure of legality, so what I say is merely my understanding and opinion.

I believe that the creator of the material maintains rights on his creation. I think this is called Copyright. I am a software engineer and I want to be paid for my creation. If people steal my programs I dont get paid and cant feed myself and my family. Similarly a musician creates music and puts in out on CD. He intends to get paid for his effort. If a man comes along and copies the song to mp3 and puts it on the internet, that man is guilty of stealing from the creator. There are cases {such as the Grateful Dead} where the artist/creator gives blanket permission for the work to be given out for free. This is the option of the artist/creator.

It is wise to consider each action you make and whether you are gaining at the expense of the person who created. Then the question becomes 'what if you didn't gain anything'....

muman613
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 03:09:57 PM »
Shalom,

muman613

Hi,

I am not sure of legality, so what I say is merely my understanding and opinion.

I believe that the creator of the material maintains rights on his creation. I think this is called Copyright. I am a software engineer and I want to be paid for my creation. If people steal my programs I dont get paid and cant feed myself and my family. Similarly a musician creates music and puts in out on CD. He intends to get paid for his effort. If a man comes along and copies the song to mp3 and puts it on the internet, that man is guilty of stealing from the creator. There are cases {such as the Grateful Dead} where the artist/creator gives blanket permission for the work to be given out for free. This is the option of the artist/creator.

It is wise to consider each action you make and whether you are gaining at the expense of the person who created. Then the question becomes 'what if you didn't gain anything'....

muman613

That's understandable, but lets say you marketed your product only in the US and not in Europe or Asia, if you had never intended to offer it there but people were obtaining it, would you really be losing anything?

I guess the same applies with the television shows that aren't aired in the US, they don't offer the shows for sale in the US nor do they air them, so essentially, is the creator really losing anything if they never planned to market it in the US to begin with?

Offline nopeaceforland

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 03:11:02 PM »
It's only stealing, if you get caught! O0

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 03:21:22 PM »
I think it is stealing.  :(
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 03:28:03 PM »
pm me the spot where you are getting free mp3's..

:::D :::D :::D

Offline RanterMaximus

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 03:52:20 PM »
Yes, I do believe it's stealing.  But most movies and music today are so God awful, you would want to pay for the?

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 04:11:01 PM »
Yes, I do believe it's stealing.  But most movies and music today are so G-d awful, you would want to pay for the?

Pretty much what I was thinking.

There's also documentaries I watch that the liberals post for free on youtube to counter their arguments, I wouldn't want to support them by paying for their documentaries.