Author Topic: Ask MUMAN613! almost live!  (Read 180632 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Ask MUMAN613! almost live!
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2009, 04:42:34 PM »
Nice hair-style.

Thank you... I don't want to let it go to my head...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2009, 11:00:57 AM »
Hey Muman,

I couldn't answer to your PM. But I can answer on ICQ, now? Ok?
We are giants, giants in love...and if you ask that who are we, then you must be a dwarf.

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2009, 11:27:12 AM »
I had to change...I got a letter from an admin (Lisa)
We are giants, giants in love...and if you ask that who are we, then you must be a dwarf.

Offline ✡ Hindu Zionist ॐ

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • India- Most pro-Israel country of the world!
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2009, 12:16:38 PM »
what is the wailing walls and whats does it signify? I have heard that some people broke it and all that remains is the wall. If yes, why dont they construct the remaining parts back again?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2009, 07:28:27 PM »
what is the wailing walls and whats does it signify? I have heard that some people broke it and all that remains is the wall. If yes, why dont they construct the remaining parts back again?

Hello Hindu Zionist,

The name 'Wailing Wall' is a derogatory name used by non-Jews. The Kotel, or the Western Wall, is the remaining part of the Holy Temple which is on the Temple mount. The Romans destroyed the Temple in the year 70 CE and burned it to the ground. All that remains today is the Western Wall. In truth we do mourn for the Holy Temple to be rebuilt. The nations of the world do not permit us to rebuild it because the muslim invaders built their Al-Aqsa mosque on the site of the Holy Temple.

Here is some background information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Wall

The Western Wall (Hebrew: הכותל המערבי‎, translit.: HaKotel HaMa'aravi) (Arabic: حائط البراق‎, translit.: Ḥā'iṭ Al-Burāq), sometimes referred to as the Wailing Wall or simply the Kotel (lit. Wall; Ashkenazic pronunciation: Kosel), and as al-Buraaq Wall by Muslims,[1] is an important Jewish religious site located in the Old City of Jerusalem. Just over half the wall, including its 17 courses located below street level, dates from the end of the Second Temple period, being constructed around 19 BCE by Herod the Great. The remaining layers were added from the 7th century onwards.

Mourning the destruction of the Temple

According to Jewish Law, one is obligated to feel grief and rend one's garment upon visiting the Western Wall and seeing the desolate site of the Temple.[82] 17th century rabbi Yoel Sirkis explicitly mentions the Kotel HaMa'aravi when expounding how one could encounter the ruins of the Temple before the ruins of Jerusalem.[83] Currently some poskim are of the view that rending one's garments is not applicable since Jerusalem is under Jewish sovereignty. Others disagree, citing that the Temple Mount itself is controlled by the Muslim Waqf and the State of Israel has no power to remove the mosques which sit upon it. Furthermore, the mosques' very existence on the site of the Temple should increase one's feeling of distress. If one hasn’t seen the Wall for over 30 days, in order to avoid tearing one's shirt, the custom is to visit on the Sabbath, including Friday afternoons, or Saturday evenings if dressed in Sabbath finery, or on festivals.[84] A person who has not seen the Wall within the last 30 days should recite:

http://english.thekotel.org/

What is the Western Wall?

We all know that the Western Wall, the Kotel, is the most significant site in the world for the Jewish people.  We know that it is the last remnant of our Temple.  We also know that Jews from around the world gather here to pray.  People write notes to G-d and place them between the ancient stones of the Wall.

But did you know that…

Many important events took place on Mount Moriah, know later as Temple Mount.

Mount Moriah, according to Jewish tradition, is the place where many pivotal events in Jewish history took place.  Traditionally, creation of the world began from the Foundation Stone at the peak of mountain.  This is also where Adam, the first human, was created.

When Abraham was commanded to prepare his son Isaac for sacrifice, the father and son went up to “the place that G-d chooses” – Mount Moriah, and to its peak – the Foundation Stone – where the binding of Isaac took place.

Also Jacob’s dream with angels going up and down a ladder is linked to this mountain.

Later on, the Holy of Holies – the core and heart of the First and Second Temple - was built around the Foundation Stone.

The Western Wall is part of a big renovation project initiated by King Herod.

In the year 37 BCE, Herod was appointed king in Jerusalem and he soon initiated a huge renovation project for the Temple.  He hired many workers who toiled to make the Temple more magnificent and to widen the area of the Temple Mount by flattening the mountain peak and building four support walls around it.

The Western Wall is the western support wall built during this widening of the Temple Mount Plaza.

What makes the Western Wall (and not one of the other three remaining support walls) the most special is its proximity to the location of the Holy of Holies in the Temple.

The Second Temple was destroyed in the year 70 CE.  Despite the destruction that took place, all four Temple Mount support walls remained standing.  Throughout the generations since the Temple’s destruction, the Western Wall was the remnant closest to the site of the Temple’s Holy of Holies that was accessible to Jews.  Therefore, it became a place of prayer and yearning for Jews around the world.  When Jews expressed their longing for Jerusalem through song, Judaica, jewelry, and prayer, the image of Jerusalem was conveyed via the image of the Western Wall.
The Old City of Jerusalem, and the Western Wall within it, was not in Jewish hands from the War of Independence in 1948 until the Six Day War in 1967.

Even before 1948, the return of the Jewish nation to its land caused tensions around the Western Wall.  The eruption of violence in 1929 was linked to a divider placed at the Wall.  As a result of the violence, a British investigative committee was created that decided to maintain the status quo at the Western Wall.  The chief rabbinate appointed a rabbi, Rabbi Orenstein, to oversee the happenings at the Wall.

In 1948, the Jewish Quarter of the Old City fell to Jordanian hands.  The Jewish homes were destroyed.  Among those killed was the Western Wall’s first rabbi who refused to leave the Wall or his home and was killed in the bombings.

During 19 long years of Jordanian rule, Jews were not able to reach the Wall and pray in front of its ancient stones.  All that possible was to climb up to Mount Zion and glance at the Wall from a distance.

During the Six Day War of 1967, paratroopers led by Motta Gur broke through to the Old City through the Lion’s Gate.  The Western Wall and Temple Mount were liberated, the city of Jerusalem was reunified, and the Jewish people were again able to come to the Western Wall to pray.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

• Master JTFer
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2009, 01:42:21 PM »
thank you muman, i feel the day the temple mount is rebuilt and stands tall, it will be the day which will signify the victory of good over evil.

my next question is,

Given that the ancient egyption civilization were bad, and did not treat the hebrew kindly. I want to know what are your thoughts about Jews going on tourist visit to egypt,and to have a look at the majestic monuments and all. Is it ok, or not?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2009, 07:05:53 PM »
thank you muman, i feel the day the temple mount is rebuilt and stands tall, it will be the day which will signify the victory of good over evil.

my next question is,

Given that the ancient egyption civilization were bad, and did not treat the hebrew kindly. I want to know what are your thoughts about Jews going on tourist visit to egypt,and to have a look at the majestic monuments and all. Is it ok, or not?

What a great question!!!

Here at my work, in the lunchroom, they advertise for visiting a museum of Egyptian Pharoahs... I find the poster upsetting because it reminds me of the time we were slaves in Egypt. I don't have an interest in ancient Egypt and I think it is a good thing.

Our Torah teaches us that we should not remain angry at Egypt for what happened 1000s of years ago. One of our commandments requires us to treat the stranger with kindness in our land because we were strangers in a strange land ourselves in Egypt.

Also we are permitted to marry Egyptians after the third generation.

http://www.sichosinenglish.org/cgi-bin/lessons.cgi?date=20082009&d3=1
Negative Mitzvah 55: We are forbidden to reject an Egyptian if he converts to Judaism
Deuteronomy 23:8 "Do not despise an Egyptian because you were a stranger in his land"

The Torah forbids an Egyptian convert from marrying freely into the Jewish people until the third generation.

The hundreds of years of cruel slavery in Egypt affected both nations. Nevertheless, despite the hardships in Egypt, the Torah appreciates that Jacob and his sons were given refuge in Egypt. Also, it was in Egypt that the Jewish people developed into a nation to be chosen by HaShem.

Therefore, we are commanded not to totally reject an Egyptian that converts to Judaism. The third generation of such converts may marry freely among the Jewish people.

http://www.torah.org/learning/halacha-overview/chapter27.html

It is forbidden for Jews to have sexual relations with non-Jews, as it says "You shall not intermarry with them; you shall not give your daughter to his son nor take his daughter for your son"14; the sages extended this prohibition to non-marital relations.e But if they become proselytes we are permitted to marry them. In olden times, when these nations were still identifiable, it was forbidden for a woman to marry any male descendant of an Ammonite or Moabite proselyte, as it says "An Ammonite or Moabite shall not enter the congregation of Ha-Shem"15; and it was forbidden to marry Egyptian or Edomite proselytes or their children, as it says "[You shall not despise an Edomite, for he is your brother; you shall not despise an Egyptian, for you were a dweller in his land;] the children of the third generation that are born to them may enter the congregation of Ha-Shem".16 Intermarriage with descendants of the Canaanite nations (nesinim) was also rabbinically forbidden.f

As a result we should not hold the ancient Egyptian people responsible for what happened back then...

The Egypt which exists today is not really related to the Egyptians of Pharoaic times... Todays Egyptians have opened new wounds with the Jewish people. I do know some Egyptians which I work with {they are Christians} and they are nice people... But I would not visit Egypt today.

• Master JTFer
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2009, 12:45:42 AM »
thank you muman, you make it easy to understand!

I have read that torah prohibit Jews from using/worshipping/having statues/idols or human personifications..etc
Given that children like to play with dolls, will that be against torah for a Jew to allow their child to play with such items?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2009, 02:29:21 AM »
thank you muman, you make it easy to understand!

I have read that torah prohibit Jews from using/worshipping/having statues/idols or human personifications..etc
Given that children like to play with dolls, will that be against torah for a Jew to allow their child to play with such items?

Hello Hindu Zionist,

You have many interesting questions and I hope that I am answering them adequately. I am still learning much but there are many sources which I can access on the internet and books which I read which allow me to answer these questions. Of course I am expressing only my understanding and a competent Rabbi should be consulted with any serious questions.

Regarding Idolatry much has been written by the Jewish sages and Rabbis. Let me first bring down the first two 'commandments' of the 'ten commandments' {I put those words in quotations because we actually call them the Ten Sayings}:

2. "I am the Lord, your G-d, Who took you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

3. You shall not have the gods of others in My presence.    

4. You shall not make for yourself a graven image or any likeness which is in the heavens above, which is on the earth below, or which is in the water beneath the earth.

5. You shall neither prostrate yourself before them nor worship them, for I, the Lord, your G-d, am a zealous G-d, Who visits the iniquity of the fathers upon the sons, upon the third and the fourth generation of those who hate Me,

6. and (I) perform loving kindness to thousands [of generations], to those who love Me and to those who keep My commandments.

As you can see, the first command is "I am the L-rd G-d" and the second is "Do not make Idols and worship others".

I don't think that Jewish children today have the inclination to worship plastic or wooden dolls. Our sages have taught that the Jewish people don't understand the nature of idol worship like we did in Biblical times when we frequently engaged in worshiping wood and stone.

Some Rabbis think that Idolatry today is expressed when Jews become so angry that they forget that G-d controls the world... Here is some discussion of this...

http://www.torah.org/learning/ravfrand/5762/yisro.html

Let Us Keep Idolatry Away From Our Homes

This week's reading contains the first time that the Torah prohibits idolatry. The second of the Asseres Hadibros [Ten "Commandments"] states: "You shall have no other gods before Me. Do not represent [such gods] by any carved statue or picture of anything in the heaven above, on the earth below, or in the water below the land." [Shmos 20: 3-4] This is the first of many varieties of prohibitions in the Torah relating to Avodah Zarah [literally: foreign worship]. The Torah is replete with such warnings.

Anyone with even a superficial knowledge of Tanach is aware that the problem of 'Avodah Zarah' plagued the Jewish people throughout all of their existence -- up until the time that, as recorded in the Talmud [Sanhedrin 64a], the Men of the Great Assembly prayed for the destruction of the desire, the evil inclination (Yetzer HaRah), for Avodah Zarah. In our day and age, it is very difficult for us to contemplate how anyone could be attracted to graven images, never mind going to such extremes as burning their children for the sake of Avodah Zarah. The abominations that were performed in the name of Avodah Zarah are mind boggling to us.

If we wish to understand an inkling of the strength of the natural urge that existed in Biblical times for Avodah Zarah, we should compare it to the urge that exists today for forbidden sexual relations (Arayos). This, it is said, can be a starting point for our imagining the power of the craving for Avodah Zarah in Biblical times.

Given the fact that no such Yetzer HaRah exists today, it would seem that all of the Torah's many prohibitions relating to Avodah Zarah do not really apply to us. We never find ourselves 'tested' in this area.

In so many areas, we can find ourselves 'tested'. Sometimes we find ourselves 'tested' regarding something prohibited on Shabbos. Sometimes we find ourselves tempted with immoral acts. We are constantly tempted with the urge to gossip (Lashon HaRah). We know that we can be tempted regarding monetary prohibitions. But ostensibly, in our lifetime, we are never going to be tempted with any moral dilemma relating to idolatry.

I have actually found the answer which a Rabbi gave to a question concerning childrens dolls:

http://www.dailyhalacha.com/Display.asp?ClipDate=6/26/2006
Purchasing or Selling Toy Dolls

Is it permissible to buy or sell toy dolls? Halacha forbids making a complete, three-dimensional figure of a human being. Would this prohibition include toy dolls?

Chacham Ovadia Yosef writes in Halichot Olam (vol. 7, p. 281) that purchasing, owning or selling dolls is permissible. He explains that Halacha forbids possessing figures of human beings because they give the appearance of idolatrous articles. When it comes to toy dolls, however, it is clear to all that they serve as toys for children, and are not used as objects of worship. Furthermore, children generally use dolls in a disrespectful manner, throwing them around on the floor, stepping on them, and so on, and therefore they cannot be mistaken for articles of idolatry.

However, if a person receives a trophy with a complete image of a human being, and he wishes to place it on his mantle, this may, indeed, violate the prohibition of possessing images of a human being. One should therefore disfigure the image or remove one of the trophy's body parts, such as an arm or the nose. The Shulchan Aruch rules that the prohibition applies only to complete images of a human being, and therefore once a body part is removed from the trophy one may keep it in his home.

Summary: One may purchase, own or sell toy dolls. Trophies containing a complete image of a human being should not be kept in one's home unless it is somehow disfigured such that it is no longer a complete image.

• Master JTFer
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2009, 12:10:37 PM »
Shalom muman,

Is veal kosher?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2009, 05:23:52 PM »
Shalom muman,

Is veal kosher?

Off the top of my head I dont know but my Jewish sensibilities would lead me to believe that it is not Jewish. It may be Kosher because of the definition of Kosher {Animals with split hooves and chew cud}... But it involves a lot of inhumane treatment of animals.

Let me search for articles which answer this issue: (I was right!)

http://www.torahsearch.com/page.cfm/3938

Veal and Foie Gras

Veal, the flesh of young cattle, is commonly produced (at least until recently) via methods that are shockingly cruel. The goal is to make the veal as pale in color as possible, and several means are utilized to this end. The calves are raised in pens that are too cramped for them to move, so that they should not be able to develop their muscles. They are fed a special iron-free food, which causes them to become anemic and to develop a craving for iron so strong that they will lick anything made of metal.

Rabbi Moshe Feinstein (1895-1986), the great halachic authority of the United States, ruled that raising calves in this way transgresses the Biblical prohibition against cruelty to animals. He explains that although cruelty to animals is permitted for human needs, this is only for genuine needs of real importance:

"…Man is not permitted to do anything and everything that hurts animals, even if it is in order to profit from it; only something that is of genuine benefit to man, such as slaughtering animals for food, using them for labor, and suchlike." (Rabbi Moshe Feinstein, Igros Moshe, Even HaEzer vol. 4 responsa 92 part II)

Even financial benefits, argues Rabbi Feinstein, do not justify every case of inflicting suffering upon animals – only where the ultimate purpose of the animal’s death is an important one. In the case of veal, where the benefit is solely cosmetic, the cruelty involved is not justified.[1]

As I suspected it has to do with cruelty to animals... In Jewish belief we are supposed to take care of animals and not cause them undue pain and suffering. We believe that the method used to kill Kosher animals, called Shechting, is humane and doesn't cause much pain. {Schechting requires using a sharp blade to cut the windpipe and main vein of the animal}...  If the Veal is raised in humane conditions then it may be kosher...

http://www.kashrut.com/articles/shect/
http://www.aish.com/ci/s/48916842.html
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 05:31:00 PM by muman613 »

• Master JTFer
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2009, 02:23:07 PM »
thank you muman

I have watched some Jewish people throw DJ parties for bar mitzvah ceremony, is it ok or frowned upon?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2009, 03:42:23 PM »
thank you muman

I have watched some Jewish people throw DJ parties for bar mitzvah ceremony, is it ok or frowned upon?

There is no Jewish opinion on what kind of music to play at a party... So long as it is modest and doesnt encourage people to violate mitzvahs I don't think there would be anything wrong. Of course if this was an Orthodox Bar Mitzvah there would be seperate seating and separate dancing...

• Master JTFer
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2009, 05:55:02 AM »
if the music for the parties are from in-decent dance numbers? like those of madonna..etc? While everyone (Hindus as well as Christians) were welcome. Though i dont have anything against Hindus going to functions of Jews. But then it sounds absurd to invite Gentiles at a function where a Jewish person has to look deep into his Jewish roots/philosophy and take it more seriously. All this pompusness really makes it look un-mitzvah like. What do you think of this?

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2009, 12:48:45 PM »
Muman I'm so glad that you were ok after your accident. I have a question for you. Is wearing fur kosher? It involves terrible cruelty to animals.

• Master JTFer
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2009, 12:53:52 PM »
sorry what happened to muman?

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2009, 01:01:52 PM »
sorry what happened to muman?

He got into a car accident that might have killed him but God protected him. He made a thread about it.

You can read more here:

http://jtf.org/forum_english/index.php/topic,39669.msg395535.html#msg395535

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2009, 07:09:57 PM »
Shalom HZ,

Yes... I was in a very bad auto accident last Friday... Thank Hashem I am physically OK... But I am very much nervous about the outcome of the repairs on my vehicle with the insurance companies.

Thank you for your concern...

Muman613

Offline Irish Zionist

• Forum Administrator
  • Ultimate JTFer
    • My zootube channel
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2009, 06:34:44 AM »

Muman would you ever think of becoming a Rabbi or a Torah scholar?
The banding together by the nations of the world against Israel is the guarantee that their time of destruction is near and the final redemption of the Jew at hand.
Rabbi Meir Kahane

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2009, 03:03:04 PM »

Muman would you ever think of becoming a Rabbi or a Torah scholar?

Hello Irish Zionist,

Yes, I have certainly thought about it.... My mother has said to me that I would make a great Rabbi :)

I strive to be a good Torah scholar and I devote at least 2 hours a day to listening and reading Torah topics. I hope to be able to get myself to Israel some day and devote more time to study and possibly try to be ordained as a Rabbi. I know that I can do it if I put myself into it. The wisdom of the Jewish sages is a consuming interest of mine.

Thank you for your interest.

Bless Hashem!

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2009, 05:48:32 PM »
Muman, you have any sisters my age?

Offline Irish Zionist

• Forum Administrator
  • Ultimate JTFer
    • My zootube channel
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2009, 05:52:30 PM »
Muman can any women become religious sect leaders ie. Rabbi's. How does the Torah or Talmud approach this?
The banding together by the nations of the world against Israel is the guarantee that their time of destruction is near and the final redemption of the Jew at hand.
Rabbi Meir Kahane

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2009, 11:16:05 PM »
Muman can any women become religious sect leaders ie. Rabbi's. How does the Torah or Talmud approach this?

Irish Zionist,

In Orthodox Judaism we do not have women Rabbis. This is because the Rabbi is a male teacher. Women have a role in Orthodox Judaism, but it doesn't involve being Rabbis. Men and women are viewed as two parts of a whole, yet each has different features and different roles in daily life. Men thank Hashem for not being made women, and women thank Hashem for being made the way they are made. Men do not wear womens clothing, nor are women supposed to wear mens clothing. There is a separation of the sexes in the shul for praying, and men and women often do not learn together. Women can become learned teachers of Torah and are respected for their knowledge.. After Havdalah tonight I listened to a woman scholar and learned some new insight concerning the dynamics between Essau and our father Yaakov. I have the utmost respect for women Torah scholars but I will not recognize them as Rabbis. Many are the wives of Rabbis and we call them Rebbetzin. Many great Torah scholars had daughters who learned and passed on the Torah of their great fathers.

The other 'branches' of Judaism, such as Reform and Conservative have officially accepted Women in the Rabbinate. In these places we find women wearing mens garments and men and women mingling during prayer services...

http://www.yeshiva.org.il/ask/eng/print.asp?id=2620
B’’H
SHalom, I am a Shabbat Observant Jew, so naturally I don’t recognize so-called female "rabbis". But, I am wondering, why can’t females become rabbis? I heard that it has something to do w/ them not being qualified to be witnesses? Is this true? What are the sources for this? And any and all information you can give me on this would be greatly appreciated.

Answer:
This question is more than a bit complicated. Today, certain functions that were rabbinical in nature are performed by women. There are woman Torah teachers, halachic advisors, spiritual guides. Some rabbinic functions, such as running the services, would be unthinkable for a woman in an orthodox setting.

I do not know of a program that brings women to the level of talmudic and halachic expertise that a rabbi requires. I do know individual women who are fantastically learned and could be consulted on halachic matters. I am unaware if there is a woman with such expertise on the highest levels of scholarship, but I do not find it inconceivable.

http://www.torahweb.org/torah/2004/parsha/rsch_dvorim2.html

Offline Irish Zionist

• Forum Administrator
  • Ultimate JTFer
    • My zootube channel
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2009, 04:21:01 PM »
Muman why do Jews move their heads when praying, is it some sort of ritual. Why does Jewish people say G_D without the O.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 04:36:17 PM by Irish Zionist »
Rabbi Meir Kahane

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2009, 09:19:04 PM »
Muman why do Jews move their heads when praying, is it some sort of ritual. Why does Jewish people say G_D without the O.

Hello Irish Zionist,

I think you are referring to Shuckling, which is when we move back and forth during prayer. I myself do this too and the reason I learned to do this is based on the Psalm which says, "All of my Bones will say, Who is like you, Oh L-rd!"... What this means is that even our bones are able to praise G-d, and when we shake back and forth it is an expression of praise from our body. This is my explanation of this, but of course I will bring links and proofs of my explanation.

http://ohr.edu/ask_db/ask_main.php/142/Q1/

Burt Falkenstein wrote:

Dear Rabbi,

Why is it when we pray to Hashem, many people "shuckle" back and forth while others do not? Isn't it disrespectful to sway back and forth when we are "talking" in our own way to Hashem? Please explain this (I think) "custom." Is it truly disrespectful or is it something else? Thanks,

Dear Burt Falkenstein,

'Shuckling' - swaying back and forth during prayer and Torah study - is a legitimate custom. Several reasons are offered for this custom:

* The soul is akin to a flame. Just as a flame always flickers and strives upward, so too the soul is never still, constantly moving and striving to reach upward towards Hashem.
    * Shaking allows you to pray with your whole body, as King David said "Let all my bones exclaim 'Hashem, who is like You!'"
    * When we stand before Hashem in prayer, we tremble in awe of the King of Kings.
    * The book of the Kuzari gives a historical explanation for 'shuckling.' He explains that shuckling originated during a period when there was a book shortage, and several people needed to study from the same book at the same time. To allow as many people as possible to study from one book, they would sway alternately back and forth. This allowed each person to look into the book and read a little bit, and when he swayed back, another person could sway forward and look into the book.

A valid alternative to shuckling is to stand completely still, like a soldier standing at attention in front of the king.

Rabbi Moshe Feinstein, zatzal, one of the foremost halachic authorities of our generation, was known to stand stock still during the silent prayer. He explained that, while living in Russia, he was once arrested for teaching Torah. One form of torture he experienced during his imprisonment was being forced to stand completely still facing a wall. The threat was that if he were to move he would be shot. It was on one of these occasions that Rabbi Feinstein was struck with the realization that if he could stand with such intense concentration for the sake of his captors, then he should afford at least the same respect when standing in front of Hashem.

Deciding whether to 'shuckle' or stand still depends on which one helps you concentrate better. In any case, a person shouldn't move his body or contort his face in any way that will make him look weird.

Regarding your second question... Hashem has commanded that we obliterate the names of foreign and strange gods, and never erase his name. In order to prevent the erasure of the name of Hashem, whenever we write a name {any of the primary names we use referring to the traits of Hashem} we will leave a letter out so that if anyone should ever erase it, it would not be a profanation of the name. While modern Rabbis have found that when we write on a computer screen we don't need to leave out letters because the name will not be erased... But if someone should print it out it may come to be erased, and thus it is a custom to leave off letters of any of G-ds names. Technically the word god is not a name of G-d, but it is when we refer to Hashem, so that word is often spelled with the missing O.

Here is a link which discusses the name of Hashem and the rules about not erasing it:

http://www.jewfaq.org/name.htm

Writing the Name of God

Jews do not casually write any Name of God. This practice does not come from the commandment not to take the Lord's Name in vain, as many suppose. In Jewish thought, that commandment refers solely to oath-taking, and is a prohibition against swearing by God's Name falsely or frivolously (the word normally translated as "in vain" literally means "for falsehood").

Judaism does not prohibit writing the Name of God per se; it prohibits only erasing or defacing a Name of God. However, observant Jews avoid writing any Name of God casually because of the risk that the written Name might later be defaced, obliterated or destroyed accidentally or by one who does not know better.

The commandment not to erase or deface the name of God comes from Deut. 12:3. In that passage, the people are commanded that when they take over the promised land, they should destroy all things related to the idolatrous religions of that region, and should utterly destroy the names of the local deities. Immediately afterwards, we are commanded not to do the same to our God. From this, the rabbis inferred that we are commanded not to destroy any holy thing, and not to erase or deface a Name of God.

It is worth noting that this prohibition against erasing or defacing Names of God applies only to Names that are written in some kind of permanent form, and recent rabbinical decisions have held that writing on a computer is not a permanent form, thus it is not a violation to type God's Name into a computer and then backspace over it or cut and paste it, or copy and delete files with God's Name in them. However, once you print the document out, it becomes a permanent form. That is why observant Jews avoid writing a Name of God on web sites like this one or in newsgroup messages: because there is a risk that someone else will print it out and deface it.

Normally, we avoid writing the Name by substituting letters or syllables, for example, writing "G-d" instead of "God." In addition, the number 15, which would ordinarily be written in Hebrew as Yod-Hei (10-5), is normally written as Teit-Vav (9-6), because Yod-Hei is a Name. See Hebrew Alphabet for more information about using letters as numerals.

Have a good week Irish Zionist, and may you be blessed!

MUMAN613
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 09:24:52 PM by muman613 »