Author Topic: Ask MUMAN613! almost live!  (Read 181077 times)

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Ask MUMAN613! almost live!
« Reply #250 on: March 03, 2013, 03:27:14 AM »
Does it have something to do with the soul traveling outside of the body when sleeping? Obviously it does no all leave the body but does part of it not get out and go somewhere else while people sleep?

As for the question about G-d not wanting someone to have a wife. The only thing I can think of is if someone was very cruel with his wife in their previous life; in the next life they are not able to find a wife or they get one who is cruel to them. But not many people may agree with this, as it involves reincarnation. But heard it from my rabbi.

Sleep is considered to be 1/60th of death.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #251 on: March 03, 2013, 03:49:15 AM »
Wow,

I am sorry I have not checked this forum for a few days... It looks like I missed a bunch...

Anyway, let me provide a source for Binyamins statement about sleep being 1/60 of death.

From my memory the ratio of 1 to 60 is a ratio where things become 'nullified'. For instance in kosher law if a drop of milk fell into a meat pot if it was only 1/60th of the volume then it is as if the drop of milk did not fall in, and the meat is still kosher.

The sages, as I will explain, consider sleep to be 1/60th of death...

http://www.aish.com/print/?contentID=116153184&section=/j/as

Sleep, the Talmud tells us, is 1/60 of death. The similarity is based on the physical separation of the soul from the body. In death it no longer returns. In life, the soul comes back from its meeting with the divine to hopefully tackle the challenges of daily living with the insights and inspiration gained from its journey.

When we awake, the first thing we do is to thank God for returning our souls to us. We are now ready to face the harsh realities of life from a higher plane of understanding.

And how is divine instruction given to us during the time our souls are freed from their earthly constraints? This is where Hollywood's newly minted word "inception" may prove helpful. The idea of inception, that someone may actually be able to implant thoughts into another's subconscious, may just seem like far out science fiction if viewed as a result of human initiative. But inception is perhaps a wonderful way to describe what God does for us every night as we lie sleeping, overwhelmed by the harshness and cruelty of the real world and desperate for a vision of a better, kinder and more spiritual existence.

God teaches us by way of a gift that we call dreams. Dreams, as someone beautifully put it, are illustrations from the book your soul is writing about you. Freud is not the first to have attached importance to dreams and to recognize within them important subconscious messages. The Talmud long-ago preceded him. Just as the rabbis wrote that sleep is a 60th of death, so too they added that “Dreams are 1/60th of prophecy” (Talmud, Brachot 57b).
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #252 on: March 03, 2013, 03:50:44 AM »
More on the ration 1 to 60...

http://ohr.edu/ask_db/ask_main.php/195/Q3/

Dear Rabbi,

What is the significance of the number 60? 1/60 appears in several things: "Bittel b'shishim" (halachic nullification of an item mixed with 60 times its volume of another item), a dream is 1/60 of death, a person visiting the sick takes away 1/60 of the illness, etc. Does the number 60 or 1/60 have any mystical significance?

Dear Name@Withheld,

The Talmud and Midrash state: "Fire is 1/60 of hell, honey is 1/60 of the manna, Shabbat is 1/60 of the World to Come, sleep is 1/60 of death, and dreams are 1/60 of prophecy. Dreams are the buds of prophecy."

Some commentaries say the above are all based on the rule that non-kosher food which gets mixed into a kosher food is annulled in a ration of 1/60, assuming that it is not sour, salty, bitter or spicy. This is related to the taste threshold of the average human (see Pfieffer's Handbook of Physiology). Accordingly, something which is on the threshold of existence but not quite "there" is called "one sixtieth."

Maimonides states: "As you are aware, our Rabbis state that a dream is one sixtieth of prophecy; and you know, that it is inappropriate to make comparisons between two unrelated concepts or things...and they repeated this idea in Midrash Bereshet Rabbah and said, 'the buds of prophecy are dreams.' This is indeed a wonderful metaphor, for just as a bud is the actual fruit itself that has not yet developed fully, similarly, the power of the imagination at the time of sleep is exactly that which operates at the time of prophecy, in an incomplete and unperfected state."

There is a mystical idea behind one sixtieth (at least regarding dreams) which is based on the statement in the Zohar which states "There are six levels [each one encompassing ten sub-levels] between netzach (eternity) and ratzon (will)." Therefore dreams, which have their source in ratzon, because they are of the world of freewill, are one sixtieth of prophecy which is from the world of netzach.

Sources:

Talmud Tractate Berachot 57b
Midrash Rabbah Genesis 17:7
Maimonides, Guide for the Perplexed 2:36
Zohar Pekudei 254a
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #253 on: March 03, 2013, 03:57:17 AM »
I wrote a whole thing and then erased it because I don't know, but here's the main points.

Anyways, I can't live the rest of my life without women. I have tasted the fruit, and though I could sink a ship with all my good intentions any time of the day, if I don't have exercise, cigarettes and women, my thought processes become nothing.

The guy from the bible that had everything and then G-d tested him by taking it away and giving it back after had it pretty easy, compared to this. I'm on my fourth system of morality that I wholly believe in. I don't think I've made another mistake, but there's no good time for me to look back at for anything, and I may as well go to the abyss now if that's all that's waiting.

I have written to you about what I think you need to do. If you want to find a moderately righteous Jewish girl you should go to Jewish events, services for young people, asking Rabbis if they know any women your age who are looking to marry. As I said before this whole match-making business is not easy, it is one of the most complex things in this world.

As I said before, the Jewish sources say that it was as hard for Hashem to split the sea as it is for him to make a match...

Here the Chabad site explains this idea:

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/473932/jewish/Split-Your-Sea.htm

"To match couples together is as difficult as the splitting of the sea," states the Talmud.1

What is the meaning behind these words? True, the process of finding and maintaining a life partner may be challenging and difficult, nothing short of a miracle. But why, of all miracles described in the Bible, does the Talmud choose specifically the miracle of the splitting of the sea to capture the process of marriage?

A Map of the Subconscious

What is the difference between the land and the sea? Both are vibrant and action-filled enviroments populated by a myriad of creatures and a great variety of minerals and vegetation. Yet the universe of dry land is exposed and out in the open for all to see and appreciate, while the world of the sea is hidden beneath a blanket of water.

In Jewish mysticism (Kabbalah and Chassidic spirituality), these two physical planes reflect the conscious and unconscious dimensions of the human psyche.2 Both parts of the self are extremely vibrant and dynamic. The difference between them is that while our conscious self is displayed and exhibited for ourselves and others to feel and experience, our subconscious self remains hidden, not only from other people but even from ourselves. Most of us know very little of what is going on in the sub-cellars of our psyche.

1)   Talmud, Sotah 2a. The Talmud is discussing second marriages, however, in many Jewish works, this quote is applied to all marriage (see for example Akeidas Yitzchak Parshas Vayeishev).

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #254 on: March 04, 2013, 12:35:29 AM »
Why didn't Rabbi Nachman's son succeed him as Breslover Rebbe?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #255 on: March 04, 2013, 12:53:15 AM »
Why didn't Rabbi Nachman's son succeed him as Breslover Rebbe?

I don't know off hand... It appears several of his children did not survive childhood. Two daughters and two sons died before they reached 2 years old...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbi_Nachman_of_Breslov

Rebbe Nachman and his wife Sashia had six daughters and two sons. Two daughters died in infancy and the two sons (Ya'akov and Shlomo Efraim) both died within a year and a half of their births. Their surviving children were Adil, Sarah, Miriam, and Chayah.[10] Sashia died of tuberculosis on June 11, 1807, the eve of Shavuot, and was buried in Zaslov just before the festival began.[11] The following month, Rebbe Nachman became engaged to a woman from Brody whose father was the wealthy Joshua Trachtenberg. (In recent years, a descendant of the Trachtenberg family informed Rabbi Leibel Berger, formerly of the Breslov-Uman Vaad [Committee] of America, that this second wife's name was Devorah [Deborah]. However, this claim remains unverified.) Right after the engagement, Rebbe Nachman contracted tuberculosis.[12]

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #256 on: March 14, 2013, 11:25:29 PM »
What's the definition of "stiff necked people"? I kind of saw it like you're not just going to go around bowing down to anyone, which is kinda good, but also kind of bad because you're not going to respect G-d as you should when you're like that. Do you know what the official one is or the consensus?

Shalom & Bracha 112,

Wow, you have posed a very interesting question. And it looks like you are already leaning toward the correct understanding.

Being 'Stiff Necked' is a double-edged sword. In some senses it is good, we are not to veer to the left or to the right, we are to continue to learn the ways of our forefathers. The Torah clearly instructs a Jew to be 'stiff' against things which seem to steer us away from following Hashems commandments. But this same trait also can make us 'arrogant' and lead us to believe we are 'great' and 'strong' and it is due to our natural abilities rather than to Hashems blessing.

This is my interpretation of the term 'stiff necked'... But of course I will bring sources which I find links to on the internet... So let us see what I can bring...

http://www.torah.org/learning/kolhakollel/5765/eikev.html

Parshas Eikev

Nothing But The Truth

By Rabbi Elly Broch

"And you should know that not because of your righteousness does G-d, your L-rd, give you this good land to possess it, for you are a stiff necked people". (Devarim/Deuteronomy 9:6)

"For it is a stiff necked people, and you shall forgive our iniquity and error, and make us your heritage". (Shemos/Exodus 34:9)

One of the criticisms persistently leveled against our ancestors was that they were stiff necked. What does it mean to be stiff necked? Moreover, if this is a criticism, why in the book of Shemos does Moshe appear to use it as a means to secure forgiveness for the nation?

Rashi (1) explains that the term stiff necked implies that the nation would turn the back of their necks toward those who attempt to rebuke them and refuse to listen. Sforno (2) further provides the etiology for this characteristic. It is caused by one attempting to follow his own mind and heart even though he has been instructed logically and convincingly that his ideas are incorrect. His stiff neck is manifest in his inability to "move his head" and listen to those attempting to guide and help him. Thus, in Shemos, Sforno understands that Moshe was pleading with G-d that although the nation was stiff necked and prone to commit infractions, nevertheless the nation wanted the Creator of the World to continue to dwell in their midst. Despite their stiff-neckedness He should forgive them.

This stubbornness is a trait that, like many others, has destructive potential, but if channeled and used appropriately can be invaluable. Like our forefathers, we must thoroughly investigate our heritage, making Judaism integral to our beings and our identity, while maintaining a healthy skepticism of the myriad attractive yet false ideologies that prevail. We cannot simply assimilate the false philosophies that, although unsubstantiated, have engulfed our generation. We must utilize our stiff-neckedness to uncover the truth and live loyally by it.

http://www.torah.org/learning/dvartorah/5768/kisisa.html

Parshas Ki Sisa

A Stiff-Necked Nation
By Rabbi Label Lam

And HASHEM said to Moshe, “I have seen the nation and they are a stiff-necked nation.” (Shemos 32:9)

A stiff-necked nation: They turn the back of their neck to the one rebuking them and they refuse to listen. (Rashi)

A stiff-necked nation: You might think this is an insult to Israel but it is really their praise. After they accepted upon themselves the Mitzvos of the Torah, they give their lives entirely to sanctify the Name of HASHEM. Rabbi Avin says that until this very day Israel is referred to amongst the nations of the world as a “stiff-necked people” because of their devotion to the Torah without deviation. (Shemos Rabba)

Is this description of the Jewish Nation as a “stiff-necked nation” intended as an insult or a compliment? Which is the truth? If it is meant as praise, then why mention it here by the sin of the golden calf? The context would clearly tilt in favor of an unfavorable image. Why then does the Midrash choose to color it in more flattering tones?

With prophetic vision Dovid HaMelech describes “us” as follows: “All this has come upon us and we have not forgotten You, nor have we been false to Your covenant. Our heart has not turned back nor have our steps turned away from Your path. Even though You crushed us in the place of reptiles and covered us in the shadow of death. Have we forgotten forgotten the Name of our G-d and stretched out our hands to a strange g-d? Would not G- d have searched this out for he knows the secret of our hearts!? It is for Your sake that we are killed all the day, we are considered as sheep for the slaughter.” (Tehillim 44:18-22)

In the Teshuvos HaRashba 1548, he writes about our people: “Israel the inheritors of truth, the descendants of Jacob, the man of truth, seed of truth, would prefer to suffer continued exile and its horrors rather than accept something without critically and thoroughly analyzing it, step after step, to separate out any doubtful validity… even when it appears to be miraculous and absolute”

It’s recorded in a book about the Klausenberger Rebbe, The War Years: “Even during the most terrible times the Klausenberger Rebbe never lost his focus on Avodas HASHEM. Right under the noses of the Nazis, he studied and davened, and observed Mitzvos. Without regard for his personal safety he avoided the most minor transgression of the law. A survivor named Asher Brenner recalled, “In Auschwitz I was placed into the same group as the Klausenberger Rebbe. The Rebbe suffered even more than the rest of us because of his stubbornness. He refused to eat non-kosher food. He managed to bring his Tefillin into the camp with him, and he put them on every day. Notwithstanding the great danger he organized daily minyanim for prayer services. We often forgot about Shabbos but the Rebbe avoided desecrating Shabbos every week and made sure that no one else did the work that was imposed upon him. All this, of course, drew the attention of the Kapos, and they punished the Rebbe with vicious beatings. The Rebbe accepted the beating calmly, whispering to himself verses of consolation.”

Like any other trait, stubbornness can be used for good or the opposite. Therefore, for the sake of our survival, a stinging rebuke was needed, as it were, to reset the broken bone so it would not grow firm, committed to some corrupt value. So we have survived!

The historical record of the Jewish People’s enduring loyalty, under extreme duress is not less than a glorious testament to the truthfulness of that proud title The Almighty Himself draped lovingly over us as a talis-“A Stiff-Necked Nation!”

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #257 on: March 14, 2013, 11:31:56 PM »
Here is a brief discussion of the idea of the Jewish forefathers establishing the idea that the descendants not veer from the path of the fathers...

http://www.aish.com/tp/i/gl/106401929.html

The most striking aspect of Isaac's actions is that they very closely followed those of his father. When there was a famine in Abraham's time he headed for Egypt; Isaac planned to do the same thing until God told him not to leave the land of Israel. Then he returned to the wells that his father had dug but were now sealed, and he dug them again, calling them the same names that his father had called them.(1) Rabbeinu Bachya states that from Isaac's actions, we derive the concept of mesoras avos, following in the traditions of our fathers for all future generations of the Jewish people.(2) Isaac did not want to veer one inch from the path trodden by his father.

Rabbi Mattisyahu Salomon explains Isaac's role among the forefathers: Abraham was the trailblazer; he set the precedents and established the guideposts. Isaac's job was to consolidate everything that his father had done, to follow precisely in his father's footsteps and thereby establish for all future generations the primacy of following the mesora (tradition). Isaac's life work was not to seek new ways and new paths but to follow faithfully on the path trodden by his father. Therefore when a famine came to the land, he immediately thought of going to Egypt because his father did so. And when he came to Gerar he dug the same wells and gave them the same names that Avraham had given them.(3)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #258 on: March 15, 2013, 02:16:15 AM »
Now I gotta plug Prodezra's 'Stiffneck' hip-hop song:

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #259 on: March 15, 2013, 02:24:51 AM »
Alright, I like Prodezra, here are another couple of his tunes from last years release...

« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 02:37:11 AM by muman613 »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #260 on: April 01, 2013, 12:31:14 AM »
If stiff necked means they don't turn easily, why was it so easy to make Jews worship other G-ds?

What is the extent of being indebted to someone? If someone saved your life, for example, what do you really owe him or what does he deserved, or if a group or person helped your family, and they may have done other things that are immoral, what is the extent to which you must support them, or give them? This is assuming of course that whatever help was given, nothing was asked in return in exchange for. What is the moral action to take when you are so helped?

Shalom 112,

Stiff-Necked also means that they will not listen to the rebuke of the prophets. As I said the sages consider it both a compliment and a liability (double-edged sword).

Regarding being Grateful for what others have done for you. It is important for a Jew to always have Hakores HaTov (Acknowledging the good) toward anyone who does good for you. This even includes those who are not of the highest moral standing. I believe this comes from the lesson learned from Moses father-in-law Yitro, who showed kindness to Moses when he saw that Moses saved his daughters. Because of Yitros kindness he merited to hear about the signs and wonders Hashem brought to Egypt and the parting of the sea, and moved him to put down all his idolatry and acknowledge the singular oneness of Hashem.

The Jewish people are commanded to not hold a grudge against the ancient Egyptians and to remember that we were strangers in their land, and they provided a place for us to live, even though they oppressed us. We were permitted to marry Egyptian women after a number of generations.

If you would like to discuss it further we can...

muman613

Online Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #261 on: April 04, 2013, 06:12:12 PM »
Then I must show my gratitude to the Bronfman family.
For what ?

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #262 on: April 08, 2013, 12:04:52 PM »
Hello Muman,

Are you a coffee lover ? Do you know if Luwak Coffee is kosher?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #263 on: April 08, 2013, 07:54:13 PM »
Hello Muman,

Are you a coffee lover ? Do you know if Luwak Coffee is kosher?

Shalom Zelhar,

I am sorry but I know nothing about coffee. It is one beverage I never developed a taste for.

I can check if it is on the list of Kosher coffees...

Apparently I found a reference to this coffee which is made from beans which have been partially digested by the Luwak, a marsupial which lives on the plains of Java, but I cannot find a definitive answer as to whether it is Kosher...

http://mk.ca/pdf/38e.pdf

See also http://www.rationalistjudaism.com/2010/07/of-civets-and-dinosaurs-miscellaneous.html

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #264 on: April 09, 2013, 02:50:27 AM »
Shalom Zelhar,

I am sorry but I know nothing about coffee. It is one beverage I never developed a taste for.

I can check if it is on the list of Kosher coffees...

Apparently I found a reference to this coffee which is made from beans which have been partially digested by the Luwak, a marsupial which lives on the plains of Java, but I cannot find a definitive answer as to whether it is Kosher...

http://mk.ca/pdf/38e.pdf

See also http://www.rationalistjudaism.com/2010/07/of-civets-and-dinosaurs-miscellaneous.html
Thanks Muman. It was really more of a thought experiment for me, because there is 0% chance I would ever taste Luwak Coffee- due to it coming from muslim Indonesia, and due to it coming out of the bowels of a marsupial (I am not sure in what order of precedence).

I think there are a few other Coffee brands who are supposed to be semi digested beans from some other animal, ie "black ivory" which comes out the bowels of Thai elephants.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #265 on: April 28, 2013, 07:35:10 AM »
Civets aren't marsupials, they are placental mammals like most mammals we know. They are in the Carnivore group like dogs, cats, weasels, etc. in a group of carnivores known as Viverridae.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viverridae

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #266 on: April 29, 2013, 04:10:09 PM »
Civets aren't marsupials, they are placental mammals like most mammals we know. They are in the Carnivore group like dogs, cats, weasels, etc. in a group of carnivores known as Viverridae.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viverridae

Thank you Rubystars for the information about the Civet. I have never heard of them before this discussion. I am a master of wildlife which appears in my backyard which includes skunks, racoons, possums, squirrels and of course domestic and feral cats...

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #267 on: April 30, 2013, 12:05:21 PM »
Thank you Rubystars for the information about the Civet. I have never heard of them before this discussion. I am a master of wildlife which appears in my backyard which includes skunks, racoons, possums, squirrels and of course domestic and feral cats...

I like watching the local wildlife too. :) I think I like possums the most (those ARE marsupials) besides the cats because they look really cute to me and they don't seem intimidating like the raccoons do and they're not a rabies risk.

Offline TruthSpreader

• Silver Star JTF Member
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WeThePeopleZeb
« Reply #268 on: May 17, 2013, 09:54:21 AM »
How tolerant is Kazakhstan is towards non-Muslims as opposed to other Muslim countries?
Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #269 on: May 29, 2013, 05:11:20 PM »
How tolerant is Kazakhstan is towards non-Muslims as opposed to other Muslim countries?

Shalom PyramidHeadFan,

I have seen your question and have no idea how to answer it. My experience with that part of the world is virtually non-existent. If you would like I could research the topic...

Thank you,

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #270 on: May 29, 2013, 08:27:28 PM »

You could ask Chaim.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #271 on: May 30, 2013, 09:09:35 PM »
I found there is a Chabad in Kazakhstan:

http://www.chabad.org/centers/default_cdo/country/Kazakhstan/jewish/Chabad-Lubavitch.htm

http://www.chabad.org/centers/default_cdo/aid/249353/jewish/Jewish-Community-of-Almaty.htm

http://www.chabad.org/centers/default_cdo/aid/249356/jewish/Jewish-Community-of-Karaganda.htm

http://www.koshertravelinfo.com/forum/showthread.php?p=276&langid=2

Apparently a long time ago the previous Chabad Rebbe was exiled to Kazakhastan :

http://www.chabad.org/therebbe/livingtorah/player_cdo/aid/541734/jewish/Children-Be-Strong.htm
Children, Be Strong!
In 1939, the Rebbe’s father was exiled by the Soviet government to a remote region of Kazakhstan. At the end of his sentence, he and his wife traveled to the closest large city, Almaty, Kazakhstan. Leibel Raskin and his family were there to greet and assist them upon their arrival.

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #272 on: May 31, 2013, 02:10:22 AM »
Hello, Muman.

Do you know of where I can get information (deep insightful information) about why Timna was turned away by Abraham Avinu, Isaac, and Jacob.
I know the story, she was turned away three times and because she did not want to belong to any other nation, married Esau's son and gave birth to Amalek.

People explain that this is complete proof that a convert should not be turned away. (Mainly by charlatans like asher meza). But I think there is a much deeper meaning to the story.
First, I know that nothing in the world happens without the approval of Hashem- good or bad. Timna's rejection may have meant that she simply did NOT belong to the nation, no matter how much she wanted to. Maybe her soul was just not meant to be amongst the children of Avraham, Isaac and Jacob.

To me, I see her story as the oppose of what people say. People say her story shows that Jews should be completely welcoming and accept those who want to convert or else they may turn and become harmful to the Jewish people (like Timna giving birth to Amalek). But I see it more as... "you see? She gave birth to Amalek, she was never supposed to have converted. Especially because she became the concubine of someone evil".
However, I cannot get any articles that support my view. I would have thought the Sages would have explained more about this...but maybe I am wrong?

To me, Timna represents the Gentiles who look at Judaism with admiration and want to join- yet are unwilling to follow the Torah. And we see that a lot. Just because someone wants to convert, does not mean they should..unless they really can live up to it. Because they are unwilling to work hard to convert, they take the easy way and either intermarry or do a fake and fast reform/masorti "conversions" which does more harm than good. They end up injured when they realize their "conversion" is not valid when they or their children are rejected...and then they or their children become haters of the Orthodox (like Amalek).

The story of Timna also keeps repeating itself in the Gentiles who fall in love with Jews and raise children who are not Jews but don't see themselves as Gentiles...or give birth to Jewish children who want to be Gentiles. Many of these kids grow up angry, bitter, resentful and may become hateful of the children of Israel and are either rashas or leftist anti-Israel Gentiles. Just like Timna gave birth to Amalek, so is the story repeating itself...and we are filled with a lot of Timnas today.

But without any of the Sages speaking about this, I am afraid this is all just my crazy views. Unless, if you know of any writings on the matter?

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #273 on: May 31, 2013, 02:17:44 AM »
Orpah, the sister of Ruth, when turned away by Naomi went and to an orgy and got pregnant with the ancestor of Goliath while Ruth beacme the ancestress of David.

Orpah was not meant to be Jewish so when she could, she went and slept around like a shicksa, which is permitted for Non-Jews. Maybe she also went and ate pork and beef and cheese which is fine because she was not Jewish.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #274 on: May 31, 2013, 02:18:47 AM »
We learn from Ruth that converts have to be turned away at least 3 times. I guess Timna didn't persist after the third time and would rather stay a shicksa like Orpah.