Author Topic: Palin's Words On Special Needs Kids Touch Nerve  (Read 564 times)

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
Palin's Words On Special Needs Kids Touch Nerve
« on: September 04, 2008, 05:41:31 PM »
                             http://wcbstv.com/health/sarah.palin.special.2.810404.html

Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin touched on a lot of issues Wednesday night. One of the most emotional was her message for families with special needs children.

When Palin introducer her son Trig, who has Down syndrome, to the nation Wednesday night, she touched the hearts of millions nationwide.

"Children with special needs, inspire very, very special love," Palin said. "For years you've sought to make America a more welcoming place for your sons and daughters and I pledge to you if we're elected, you'll have a friend and an advocate in the White House."

On Thursday, CBS 2 HD got reaction from local families who know exactly how she feels.

Christine Hourihan from Wycoff has been taking on the same fight for acceptance with her son Billy. Palin's speech gave her hope.

"It could be huge for us in terms of fighting for what we need as parents and need for our children," Hourihan said.

Hourihan said awareness is number one.

"I've heard everything from do your other sons have it? Or, can somebody catch it?" Hourihan said. "People are not educated as to what Down syndrome really is, unless they have a connection to it."

Tracy Smeragliulo has been following Palin's career since Trig was born in April, and was thrilled to have the Alaska governor cast a positive light on families who have children with disabilities.

"I was elated to hear her stand up for all of us moms who have children with special needs," Smeragliulo said.

Her son, David, is one of more than 350,000 people in the U.S. with Down syndrome and she's hoping the attention Palin is shedding on all disabilities will educate people.

"Letting the world know that this isn't a burden and this is a wonderful thing and that our children are going to succeed in life just like any other child," Smeragliulo

Neither David nor Billy's moms know how they'll vote in November, but they're hoping Palin's candidacy will encourage people to learn more about Down syndrome

Offline nopeaceforland

• Master JTFer
Re: Palin's Words On Special Needs Kids Touch Nerve
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 05:52:50 PM »
IMO, this was an interesting and itelligent point on her part. Good for her! O0

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 05:07:50 AM »
Compare that to Obama's accusation of accusing average Americans of clinging to their religious values and the 2nd amendment.  Obama was very condescending and he's OUT OF TOUCH.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 06:54:28 AM »
Compare that to Obama's accusation of accusing average Americans of clinging to their religious values and the 2nd amendment.  Obama was very condescending and he's OUT OF TOUCH.
O0
I had one of my very liberal co-workers call me up yesterday.
She was very impressed by Governor Palin.
She was actually going to stay up and watch McCain's speech last night.   :o
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.