Author Topic: Rabbi Boteach "Shvartza has no place in Religious Jew's vocabulary  (Read 2206 times)

adam613

This from a letter to the editor of the Jewish Press. You can go to the Jewish Press website to see it for yourself. The Jewish Press recently had a poll if more Jews are becoming racists. I again ask people if you have the book Kosher Sex please throw it in the garbage as the only thing it is then insulting is the garbage bag. Thank You.

Banish The Word

Re Rabbi Shmuley Boteach’s “The ‘S’ Word Has No Place In A Religious Jew’s Vocabulary” (op-ed, Feb. 2):

This was a long overdue article, but well worth the wait. The lack of voices speaking out against such an inherently offensive term as “shvartza” not only makes a horrible impression on non-Jews (and certainly the term does its part to increase anti-Semitism within the black community), it also serves to alienate black Jews.

According to members of the organization Ayecha, young Jews of color go “off the derech” at a far higher rate than their counterparts of European descent. One common reason given by these kids is that they could not deal with being called “shvartza” on a regular basis.

This term is one of the most offensive in the Yiddish language and its usage – along with racist conduct in general – has never been becoming for religious Jews. It should be banished from our vocabulary.

Yitz Jordan

(Via E-Mail)

Offline fjack

• Master JTFer
Re: Rabbi Boteach "Shvartza has no place in Religious Jew's vocabulary
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 09:53:41 AM »
Maybe this mail order rabbi should be banned from any sane and righteous Jewish community.

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 11:28:09 PM »
I think he wants to marry Britney Spears lol.  He is a crazy dude.
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline genteelgentile

• Pro JTFer
  • Chaim Ben Pesach- Civil Rights Leader 4 The Ages
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 01:27:20 AM »
Ok then, if Boteach doesn't want Jews to say it, allow a non Jew to say it: [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored]!!!!!!!
I LOVE dogs because muslims do not!!!!  Have your dog kiss a muslim today!

sat_chit_anand

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 01:53:57 AM »
If the word means 'black' how can it be offensive?

If you ban one word, someone will come up with another one, so this is a clear example of how PC is utterly futile.

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 09:38:48 PM »
Re:  "...Chaim said to be politically correct you have to call them Schvartza Americans. He said it's just like you have to call queers sexually challenged..."

Brilliant!

Chaim's a genius!

Yochanan Zev

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 12:25:35 PM »
The rabbi is correct.  The sad part of it is most of you guys as Jews really know better. 

Offline Trumpeldor

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 10:50:52 PM »
The rabbi is correct.  The sad part of it is most of you guys as Jews really know better. 

I'm sorry if you dislike being called "[censored]". In fact, I'm so sorry I'll personally pay for your 1-way ticket back to Africa.