General Category > General Discussion

Real Dialogue: My Emails With Evonne Liew, "Peace Project" Coordinator at UCI

(1/1)

Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks:
Here is the real, unadulterated email exchange I have had with Evonne Liew, the individual putting on the Jewish/Muslim "dialogue on Palestine" tonight at the University of California, Irvine (University of the Crescent and Islam):

--- Quote from: Chaimfan ---Israel-Palestine Forum‏
Sent: Thu 10/23/08 1:02 PM
To:  [email protected]

Hello Ms. Liew,

It is disheartening to continue to see the same, trite rhetoric regarding the Middle East conflict on our campuses. Inevitably, it's the "Zionists" who are at fault because they aren't willing to surrender more land, olive trees, etc. to the Arabs who have vowed to murder them all. Some things never change--certainly not campus political correctness at UCI. Yadda yadda yadda.

Without generous taxpayer-funded healthcare, electricity, and food credits, the huge Arab presence in Israel and its accompanying population boom would not be possible. The vast majority of Israeli Jews, by opinion poll, state that they do not want to harm the Arabs or expel them from their nation. However, every Israeli act of conciliation, kindness, or surrender is met with more suicide bombings or shooting or bulldozer attacks. Nothing will influence them to end the jihad.

It is disappointing to continue to see events that whitewash facts in Israel and that create a climate of academic anti-Semitism.

Chaimfan

--- End quote ---

Here is her reply:

--- Quote from: Evonne Liew ---Re: Israel-Palestine Forum‏
Sent: Thu 10/23/08 3:11 PM
To:  Chaimfan ([email protected])

Dear Mr. Chaimfan,

The Olive Tree Initiative is not an anti semitic group in anyway (we received generous support from the Jewish Federation and other Jewish community members) and our project has no political agenda--we are merely trying to understand the complexity of the conflict and get a constructive dialogue started at UCI.  I welcome you to come and see our presentation for yourself.

Best,
Evonne

--- End quote ---

To that, I wrote:

--- Quote from: Chaimfan ---RE: Israel-Palestine Forum‏
Sent: Thu 10/23/08 3:25 PM
To:  evonne liew ([email protected])

Ms. Liew,

I am very familiar with conferences to this effect. It doesn't matter if this project is being funded by "mainstream" Jewish organizations. The content is all that counts. Inevitably, these events conclude that so-called "Zionism" is the problem and that the only reason why terrorism goes on in the Holy Land is because Jews colonized it.

You wondered why I characterized this meeting as "anti-Semitic". I will tell you why. The publicity for the event reads "UCI Jewish and Muslim Students Come Together To Discuss Palestine." "Palestine" is not a nation, and is a political term of Arab nationalism that is used in order to claim that a Jewish historical nation does not exist. The country is called ISRAEL, not Palestine, and many Jews would be offended at UCI referring to their country as Palestine.

I would like very much for the university to allow a diversity of voices on this issue. We have already heard the Islamic solution to the problem ad-nauseum. Please answer me, Ms. Liew, on when UCI administration will allow the pro-Zionist, pro-Israel side to state its views in a public forum on the campus.

Thank you,
Chaimfan

--- End quote ---

BTW, here is Evonne Liew's contact information. This is publicly available info through her university position, so I believe it is completely lawful to post it. I strongly urge JTFers to contact her and LEGITIMATELY (no profanity or insults) complain about what she is doing and demand that the opposite point-of-view on Israel be allowed to air its opinions on campus.

--
Evonne Liew
Program Assistant
Center for Citizen Peacebuilding
3151 Social Science Plaza, SST 564
University of California, Irvine
Irvine, CA 92697-5100

Mobile (909) 618-4889
Office (949) 824-6352
Fax (949) 824-7625
[email protected]

Lisa:
Chaimfan you're an excellent writer!  Great work!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version