Author Topic: Catholic priest says Obama voters sinned & cannot accept communion  (Read 866 times)

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
Priest Says Obama Voters Sinned
Column Alleges 'Yes' Vote Implies Pro-Choice Views

http://www.foxcarolina.com/news/17979262/detail.html?rss=gsaa&psp=news

GREENVILLE -- A bulletin put out by St. Mary’s Catholic Church has people buzzing after a priest wrote that those who voted for Obama had committed a sin.

"Every week, I make a bulletin for the congregation and each week I have a column on the cover of the bulletin about matters of interest to the church intended for the parishioners of St. Mary's," said the Rev. Jay Scott Newman.

Since last Sunday preceded election week, Newman offered a mediation on the issue of abortion.

"Because abortion is by definition murder, there is no way for it to ever be justified," said NewmanThe mediation suggested that anyone who voted for now President-elect Barack Obama committed a sin because of his pro-choice stance.

In the bulletin, Newman wrote that anyone who voted for Obama is in cooperation with intrinsic evil and should not take communion unless they confess their sins.

"If you go that route, it damages your communion with the Catholic Church. For that reason you ought not receive the sacraments of the Catholic Church -- with which you disagree," Newman said.

The bulletin goes on to ask parishioners to pray for Obama and to respect his authority, but on the issue of abortion, Newman said there is no compromise.

"However, on this one point the Catholic Church has to continue to say respectfully but patiently, consistently, persistently 'no,'" said Newman. "No abortion, no time, nowhere, for any reason."

As to whether a "yes" vote for Obama equates to sin, Pastor Curtis Johnson with Valley Brook Baptist Church disagrees.

"I would have to respectfully disagree that a vote for Barack Obama equates to a sin," said Johnson. "I think that no one is pro-abortion. I don't think that Barack Obama is. I don't think that anyone in their right mind would actually desire that abortions continue."
Copyright 2008 by foxcarolina.com. All rights reserved

Offline P J C

• Master JTFer
  • Liberty and Justice for All
    • Take Back the West
Re: Catholic priest says Obama voters sinned & cannot accept communion
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 06:37:56 PM »
We need to see more Catholics stand up like this. We also need to see more Rabbis and Evengelical Priests do the same.
"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Offline t_h_j

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 06:38:49 PM »
denying communion over a person's vote is beyond stupid.

Offline P J C

• Master JTFer
    • Take Back the West
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 06:44:04 PM »
The beyond stupid part is the schmuck Catholics that voted for Obama initially. I support that priest. They have sinned do to the fact that they helped take part in the abortion of many young babies that will come and the social acceptance of unnatural gay behavior. That is what REALLY beyond stupidity. If was a priest I would do the same exact thing.
"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Offline t_h_j

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 06:49:21 PM »
The beyond stupid part is the schmuck Catholics that voted for Obama initially. I support that priest. They have sinned do to the fact that they helped take part in the abortion of many young babies that will come and the social acceptance of unnatural gay behavior. That is what REALLY beyond stupidity. If was a priest I would do the same exact thing.

I guess voting for Bush is also a sin, since he did nothing to end abortion.  He also did nothing to curb the social acceptance of gay behavior.  Would you deny communion to them as well?

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 06:57:05 PM »

I guess voting for Bush is also a sin, since he did nothing to end abortion.  He also did nothing to curb the social acceptance of gay behavior.  Would you deny communion to them as well?
After four years of Obama you will be wishing for the likes of GWB. The Bush presidency had plenty of issues and many were created by complacency and the evil Democrats. All and all Bush could have done a lot better but he could have done much worse. Lastly the blame this financial mess falls square in the center of the Democrap camp.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline P J C

• Master JTFer
    • Take Back the West
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 06:58:05 PM »

No, George W Bush ran and told the people he was against Abortion and gay marriage, the people who voted for him didn't knowingly vite for an abortion candidate. I bet you voted for Obama. Your posts are always defending him.

Offline t_h_j

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 07:00:38 PM »

No, George W Bush ran and told the people he was against Abortion and gay marriage, the people who voted for him didn't knowingly vite for an abortion candidate. I bet you voted for Obama. Your posts are always defending him.

bull, post some things i've said defending him. 

If you thought he would do something about abortion and gay marriage, especially after the first 4 years, then you are naive.

Offline P J C

• Master JTFer
    • Take Back the West
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 07:03:21 PM »

If you thought he would do something about abortion and gay marriage, especially after the first 4 years, then you are naive.
You are a phony. Everyone of your posts is attacking someone or attacking people's posts. You are constantly on the defense for Barack Hussein Obama.

Offline t_h_j

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 07:04:14 PM »

You are a phony. Everyone of your posts is attacking someone or attacking people's posts. You are constantly on the defense for Barack Hussein Obama.

so you can't post some things i've said defending him.  Nice. 

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 07:08:24 PM »
This is a cool church.  Now they should change the catechism to say that anyone who votes Democrat these days is committing a mortal sin, until that party corrects its stand.
The church had better make a stand. Unless it stands its ground against liberal social issues it will be marginalized in the years to come. I am sceptical that they have what it takes to do this however they may have seen the light now that things have gone so sour that the population could vote Obama as president. Its now or never RCC do whats needed or be swept into the dust bin of history.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline MasterWolf1

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 08:02:17 PM »
 :clap:@This church, and rightfully so.  Obama stands against everything that the Catholic faith represents and yes.  THey should be denied communion.  And the church can deny people communion if they feel to do so.
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline momofsixbabes

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 08:48:43 PM »
I was impressed by this priest in SC. I think he put a lot of protestant churches to shame because he is one that stood up to the truth-Obama has his hands bloody with the death of innocent babies. Way to go, Catholic priest! 8)