Author Topic: Disgusting Women.  (Read 2033 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Disgusting Women.
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2008, 11:12:53 PM »
In my posting I intended to demonstrate that there is evidence that the city of Sodom was very strict about visiting guests. This is demonstrated in Rashi's commentary on this verse. That was the point of my quoting this to demonstrate that there was truly a threat, and that Lot must have known the ways of Sodom.

muman613

PS: Remember that they ignored the 1st invitation...

PSS: The entire comment of Rashi's on Verse 19:2 is :
2.  Behold now, my lords. “ Behold you are now lords to me since you have passed beside me.” Another explanation: “Behold now you must pay heed to these wicked men, that they should not recognize you,” and this is sound advice. please turn. Take a circuitous path to my house, in a roundabout way, that they should not recognize that you are entering there. That is why it says: “turn.” (Gen. Rabbah 50:4). and stay overnight and wash your feet. Now is it customary for people to first stay overnight and afterwards to wash? Moreover, Abraham said to them first, “and wash your feet!” But so did Lot say (i.e., he reasoned), “If, when the people of Sodom come, they will see that they have already washed their feet, they will invent false accusations against me and say, ‘Two or three days have already passed since they came to your house, and you did not let us know!’” Therefore, he said, “It is better that they remain here with the dust on their feet, so that they should appear as though they had just arrived now.” Therefore he said, “Stay overnight” first and afterwards, “wash.” - [from Gen. Rabbah 50:4] And they said, “No…”. But to Abraham they said,“So shall you do…” From here [we learn] that one may refuse an offer by a person of lesser importance, but should not refuse an offer by a great man (Gen. Rabbah 50:4). but we will stay overnight in the street. Heb. כִּי. This כִּי is used to mean “but,” for they said, “We will not turn in to your house, but we will stay overnight in the street of the city.”
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 11:22:31 PM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14