0 (0%)
1800s
3 (12%)
20s
0 (0%)
other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: What was your favorite time period?  (Read 3063 times)

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: What was your favorite time period?
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2008, 02:01:08 AM »
I think the greatest times were the 18th and 19th century. It was the golden time of booming economy, classic liberalism without the major moral decay we see today. At least European culture came there to perfection.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2008, 08:30:07 AM »
I think the greatest times were the 18th and 19th century. It was the golden time of booming economy, classic liberalism without the major moral decay we see today. At least European culture came there to perfection.

unless you wanted to see a doctor..

though yeah, you'd get an appointment!

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2008, 08:51:31 AM »

This is a very good point. Everbody wants to be healthy and today we have the most advanced medicine. Althrough today we have a lot of lifestyle-related diseases the people before a few centuries not knew. :-/
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Gruzinit

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2008, 09:34:22 AM »
What's the point to dwelling on the past. When we say this decade or that era was a "Goldern Age" we tend to glaze over the turmoils and issues that plagued it for the supposed good times.

As a child of the 90's, many say we had the best times. A great economy, we were loved by the international community (or at least BJ Clinton was), and were at peace. But looking back I think those people were delusional.

Each generation will experience its trials and turmoils, joys and successes, and even some tragedies. This is life.
The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money. – Alexis de Tocqueville

Communism is like prohibition, it's a good idea but it won't work. - Will Rogers

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2008, 09:41:08 AM »

This is a very good point. Everbody wants to be healthy and today we have the most advanced medicine. Althrough today we have a lot of lifestyle-related diseases the people before a few centuries not knew. :-/

Probably less lifestyle related diseases than they had!

Offline GodGunsAndGlory

• Full JTFer
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2008, 10:20:03 AM »
Why did you skip the 1920s???

For sure the 1920s are my favorite time period. It also brings out the best in the left, like bringing up BS that Coolidge thought a depression was coming because of his  policies of letting the market do what it wants.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2008, 02:20:11 PM »
I don't have a favorite and I don't care much for the past, present or future.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2008, 02:45:57 PM »

yeah.. but those that keep good diaries either mentally or on paper, get more done.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2008, 03:13:16 PM »

yeah.. but those that keep good diaries either mentally or on paper, get more done.
You may have a point.

Offline firster555

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2008, 07:56:40 PM »
1770's.
When ever was such an amazing group of men, our Founding Fathers, all thrown together in the same time period and the same place with such amazing results. I can think of none.
In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man. Brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.

Offline Manch

• Master JTFer
  • Kahane Tzadak!
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2008, 09:30:20 PM »
80-s - Best music, good times!
Hayot Araviot Masrihot

Offline P J C

• Master JTFer
  • Liberty and Justice for All
    • Take Back the West
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2008, 06:29:12 AM »
I always wondered was this song in the 80s?

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2008, 11:09:45 AM »

heh, I remember hearing that on the radio alot, never saw the video. It puts a different spin on it.

But if you listen to the music and don't think too much about the words, you see it doess ound quite 80s, feel good. Varied. Confident voice singing..

Here's another one.. many don't really look at the words. But it's the same kind of style. 80s style  (wild boys by duran duran)
http://www..youtube.com/watch?v=RrlyB8dEt9c

just like Spandau Ballet, the songs were the same style.. Generally with them the words were feel good ones.  They had some songs whose style wasn't quite as lively, but same style, just duller words, repetitive even.

still 80s.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2008, 11:14:58 AM »

heh, I remember hearing that on the radio alot, never saw the video. It puts a different spin on it.

But if you listen to the music and don't think too much about the words, you see it doess ound quite 80s, feel good. Varied. Confident voice singing..

Here's another one.. many don't really look at the words. But it's the same kind of style. 80s style  (wild boys by duran duran)

just like Spandau Ballet, the songs were the same style.. Generally with them the words were feel good ones.  They had some songs whose style wasn't quite as lively, but same style, just duller words, repetitive even.

still 80s.

Here Q_Q_

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2008, 01:37:22 PM »

still 80s.

Here Q_Q_

I don't usually listen to music, except in bad circumstances where i'm forced to. I find music very unstimulating, intellectually and physically.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2008, 03:01:43 PM »

still 80s.

Here Q_Q_

I don't usually listen to music, except in bad circumstances where i'm forced to. I find music very unstimulating, intellectually and physically.

What??? are you a cyborg?

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2008, 03:41:17 PM »
<snip>

The average man is more towards the cyborg end of the scale than a woman.

It's a scale.  Nobody reaches the ends.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 04:33:48 PM by q_q_ »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2008, 04:18:27 PM »

Hi Manch,

I beg to differ... I didn't like 80s music too much. The 80s was the decade of the synthesizer.. Most music of the 80s is very synthesizer heavy, to the detriment of the guitar and drums. Every band which I like has a 80s period where the music is synthesizer laden and it got in the way of the music. The only reason I like 80s music now is because it is nostalgic.

Of the 80s music I do like I'll list : David Bowie, The Police {Very synth heavy}, Van Halen {1984 very Synth heavy}, Men without Hats {more synth music}, Flock of Seagulls {Synth band}, and others I cant recall at this time... ;)

muman613
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline P J C

• Master JTFer
  • Liberty and Justice for All
    • Take Back the West
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2008, 05:33:50 PM »

still 80s.

It was voted one of the most bizarre music videos. I am a big fan of Sinatra and Johnny Cash. Rolling STones are good too.
"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2008, 05:48:14 PM »
It was voted one of the most bizarre music videos. I am a big fan of Sinatra and Johnny Cash. Rolling STones are good too.

The idea of somebody sitting in front of the television mesmerized by a music video, voting for it, as if the bizarreness is fantastic..

It's just so incredibly stupid.

I'm sure people have more bizarre dreams, but forget them.

Infact, I think all these guys that get on stage, grab a microphone and start singing, are a bunch of girly men.  I wouldn't celebrate it.

And some really dress up in a constume and wear make-up.. Uch. Signs of a crippled mind, a stupid child's mind, connected to the body of an adult freak.

Offline Debbie Shafer

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2008, 06:34:25 PM »
I loved the 60s because of the great music that was produced by the Beatles, the Stones, Jerry and the Pacemakers, Peter and Gordon, Eric Burdon and the Animals, the Kinks, and the rest of the British Invasion.  However, I agree the 80's with Ronald Reagan as President was a time of prosperity, freedom, and feeling good about America.  There will never be another era like this one.  Tear down this wall!!!  Freedom baby......Nothing like it!

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2008, 07:23:32 PM »
<snip>

The average man is more towards the cyborg end of the scale than a woman.

It's a scale.  Nobody reaches the ends.

Im as manly as they come, logical and rarely expressing any feelings... BUT!!! I love good music.   Ive never heard of anyone who doesnt enjoy some form of music.

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2008, 07:31:12 PM »

But since that was before my time, 1980s.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2008, 07:35:29 PM »
Im as manly as they come, logical and rarely expressing any feelings... BUT!!! I love good music.   Ive never heard of anyone who doesnt enjoy some form of music.

reminds me of this youtube clip. warning, contains the F word. It's 5min, may not be that funny.. he rambles, but what the heck, the idea is funny.