Author Topic: Russian Newsweek gets warning for insulting muslimes  (Read 353 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Russian Newsweek gets warning for insulting muslimes
« on: November 18, 2008, 04:07:47 PM »
I just saw this story over at FOX news site @ http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,454164,00.html . It appears that the Russian Government is bending over backwards to avoid insulting muslims. I guess there is no free speech in Russia. I hope that our freedom of speech is protected or else similar things may happen here in the United States.

muman613

"

MOSCOW —  The Russian-language edition of the Newsweek magazine has been warned for allegedly insulting Muslims, Moscow prosecutors said.

The magazine published two stories that could be "insulting or humiliating" to Muslims, the Moscow Prosecutor's Office said, adding that an article Tuesday also included one of the 2005 Danish cartoons depicting the Prophet Muhammad.

The magazine published the stories on Muslims in the European Union in late October. It could not be immediately reached for comment. About 20 million Muslims live in Russia.

Under President Vladimir Putin and his successor, Dmitry Medvedev, Russian news organizations have come under increasing official pressure. If prosecutors' warnings are ignored, publications can be fined or threatened with closure.

"

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline RanterMaximus

• Master JTFer
Re: Russian Newsweek gets warning for insulting muslimes
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 04:28:06 PM »
I wonder how the old Russia would have taken such a warning?