Author Topic: 10,000 calories a day!  (Read 2760 times)

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
10,000 calories a day!
« on: November 26, 2008, 06:44:32 PM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7562840.stm

his diet when he was in the news, time of the Olympics, so he had been training.  Probably not good for the long term !

MICHAEL PHELPS' DIET
Breakfast: Three fried egg sandwiches; cheese; tomatoes; lettuce; fried onions; mayonnaise; three chocolate-chip pancakes; five-egg omelette; three sugar-coated slices of French toast; bowl of grits; two cups of coffee
Lunch: Half-kilogram (one pound) of enriched pasta; two large ham and cheese sandwiches with mayonnaise on white bread; energy drinks
Dinner: Half-kilogram of pasta, with carbonara sauce; large pizza; energy drinks

"Health-wise, if he were eating like this long-term, he'd probably be having to see a cardiologist regularly," Mrs Lewin told the BBC.
"

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: 10,000 calories a day!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 06:50:58 PM »
I think my stomach would burst if I tried to eat a whole large pizza!

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 06:52:03 PM »

That is not that much food

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 07:21:10 PM »
I think I could eat it. But I would feel terrible the whole day. And I have felt terrible, so I do it not again.

I have learned to cut my greed down.

Two sandwiches in the morning with some black tea and a little bit lettuce is the maximum in the morning.

I eat regulary only 10 percent of what he eats.

This diet can't be healthy.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 07:23:45 PM »

That is not that much food

Its about 2,000 calories.  BUt I personally dont eat more then 2 slices at a time. Usually 1 and I'm good.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Abben

• Master JTFer
  • Down with obama!
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 07:24:52 PM »
his diet should be over since the olympics is done with. But wow all that food they do say swimming is the  best exercise.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 07:26:16 PM »
I dont think I would be able to have the 'ham and cheese' sandwich for lunch... I can eat a whole 10in pizza in one sitting...

muman613
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 07:31:29 PM »
I dont think I would be able to have the 'ham and cheese' sandwich for lunch... I can eat a whole 10in pizza in one sitting...

muman613

Me too, but only in company of good friends and with a lot of red wine to wash it down.  :::D
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 07:34:46 PM »
I think I could eat it. But I would feel terrible the whole day. And I have felt terrible, so I do it not again.

I have learned to cut my greed down.

Two sandwiches in the morning with some black tea and a little bit lettuce is the maximum in the morning.

I eat regulary only 10 percent of what he eats.

This diet can't be healthy.

remember though..

just as we all vary alot in so many areas, we vary alot physically too.

Don't assume that your experience applies to others.

I seriously doubt that you feel really energised on your 2 sandwiches. You just survive, with the energy required for your work and not much left over.

Maybe If you had a faster metabolism you'd be able to eat alot more and feel really good and energised from it.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 10:04:05 PM »

here is one technique that helps the intake of calories..

http://www.diet-blog.com/archives/2005/03/21/sumo_wrestlers_this_is_how_you_get_fat.php

"Always eat with others in a social atmosphere. According to leading researchers, a meal eaten with others can be at least 44 percent larger and with 30 percent more calories and fat."

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 12:31:33 AM »
Next time Im training for the Olympics... I'll remember that diet.
 :laugh:

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 09:02:05 PM »
more info in increasing calories

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/andymurray/4278426/Andy-Murray-piling-on-the-calories-for-victory-in-Australian-Open.html

Andy Murray piling on the calories for victory in Australian Open

Murray had been set a target of taking on 6,000 calories a day in an attempt to bulk up in Florida; he was eating for victory.

"I would get up and have a protein shake and bagels with peanut butter.."

"That was really tough each day to keep doing that. I'm used to eating 4,000 calories a day, so those extra 2,000 calories were tough. That's a lot of calories – you're meant to eat 2,400 in a day."

http://www.motleyhealth.com/articles/2008/07/andy-murray-flexes-his-biceps-to-show-off-his-tennis-workout.html
Murray eats foods like sushi within 30 minutes of finishing long matches or training sessions. Jez Green says that sushi is “a perfect mix of
protein and carbohydrates which rebuild his muscles and provide energy for subsequent matches. As he has been physically training really hard, his diet has become more and more important, especially in
increasing his body weight.”

--
The diet, devised by Murray's fitness trainer Jez Green, also includes bagels, steak, eggs, protein shakes, yoghurt, fruit and cup cakes -

Sushi is now my favourite food. The greatest number of sushi pieces I ate in one sitting was 24. Most of the time I eat around 20 pieces every day but I've had more in the past and I'm not bored of it yet. But the hardest part is the breakfast - protein shake and bagels with peanut butter - and the peanut butter sticking to your teeth," Murray was quoted, as saying.
-
he's still only 6ft 12 stone (170lb) at the moment!

I would add..
http://judaism.about.com/library/3_askrabbi_o/bl_simmons_koshersushi.htm
Is there such a thing as kosher sushi? Not including shellfish, of course. We want to take an orthodox friend to dinner and my son wanted to make it sushi! My husband and I weren't sure what to tell him.

Answer

Sushi can be kosher, providing the fish is kosher (it must have fins and scales) and providing that the fish was only cut with kosher instruments (such as knives etc.). The best way to find kosher sushi is go to a kosher sushi restaurant, or a kosher supermarket! ........

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 09:38:03 PM »
It can't be healthy in the long run to have such a constantly high metabolism.  His body is running like a super-charged engine.  I wonder if eventually this engine will simply break down.

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 11:46:02 AM »
I used to eat around 10,000 calories per day when I was an athlete but when I got injured I was in for a big surprise! I gained wieght really fast and it took a huge amount of effort to cut back and I still have issues 10 years later. 

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 11:52:41 PM »
I used to eat around 10,000 calories per day when I was an athlete but when I got injured I was in for a big surprise! I gained wieght really fast and it took a huge amount of effort to cut back and I still have issues 10 years later. 

that is common - to balloon by keeping the high calory diet and not exercising and getting old with a slower metabolism.

How did you do the 10,000 calories?
I am intrigued.. did somebody make you your food?

it takes time to prepare food.  did you just eat unhealthy takeaways whne you were an athlete?

here is an example of prince naseem hamed.. the british boxer
There's only around 10-15 years between these photos

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 12:55:59 AM »

that is common - to balloon by keeping the high calory diet and not exercising and getting old with a slower metabolism.

How did you do the 10,000 calories?
I am intrigued.. did somebody make you your food?

it takes time to prepare food.  did you just eat unhealthy takeaways whne you were an athlete?

here is an example of prince naseem hamed.. the british boxer
There's only around 10-15 years between these photos

I used to swim in college and used to eat the food that they had in the cafeteria.  I could order several burgers, chicken burgers, a giant salad, pasta and a ton of bread and after swim practice for three hours, I'd have to order a large pizza.  I still was losing weight which was insane.  I did this all from 18-21 so if I did this now I'd probably get really sick. Swim practice is like nothing else I've ever done.  You'd have to do 30-60 minutes of warmup exercises that would now knock me out for the week if I did it today.  Then, you'd have to swim for three hours of intense swimming, with a coach yelling at you that you were too slow.  One day, we calculated we swam 9 miles.  On top of that, I used to go running with some friends so that would also burn calories.  When I got injured I kept on eating like I always did and the wieght took about a year to take off.  Then, I gained 10 pounds per year for several years even though I was cutting back. 

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 01:03:57 AM »
I used to swim in college and used to eat the food that they had in the cafeteria.  I could order several burgers, chicken burgers, a giant salad, pasta and a ton of bread and after swim practice for three hours, I'd have to order a large pizza.  I still was losing weight which was insane.  I did this all from 18-21 so if I did this now I'd probably get really sick. Swim practice is like nothing else I've ever done.  You'd have to do 30-60 minutes of warmup exercises that would now knock me out for the week if I did it today.  Then, you'd have to swim for three hours of intense swimming, with a coach yelling at you that you were too slow.  One day, we calculated we swam 9 miles.  On top of that, I used to go running with some friends so that would also burn calories.  When I got injured I kept on eating like I always did and the wieght took about a year to take off.  Then, I gained 10 pounds per year for several years even though I was cutting back. 

how much did it cost per day to eat?

swimming I guess doesn't damage the joints with impact, like running does.. (though maybe long water exposure is bad somehow)

swimming can knock you out 'cos of te energy required.. though so can any exercise.. thing is to just not knock yourself out doing it! to take rest!

how did you injure yourself?  i'm guessing it was running rather than swimming..

I know in swimming pools te water is a bit cold and full of chlorine..
I know my toes have ached a bit from being a long time in very hot water (really hot bath)..   Apparently warm water is good for the joints.

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 01:14:40 AM »

how much did it cost per day to eat?

swimming I guess doesn't damage the joints with impact, like running does.. (though maybe long water exposure is bad somehow)

swimming can knock you out 'cos of te energy required.. though so can any exercise.. thing is to just not knock yourself out doing it! to take rest!

how did you injure yourself?  i'm guessing it was running rather than swimming..

I know in swimming pools te water is a bit cold and full of chlorine..
I know my toes have ached a bit from being a long time in very hot water (really hot bath)..   Apparently warm water is good for the joints.

The cafeteria was prepaid by the semester so once you paid about $1000 as I remember, you had access to the cafeteria for three meals per day.  It was a great deal for people like me and a really bad one for anorexic people.  They had a variety of food and never cut you off, which is why many people who weren't athletes gained 40 pounds throughout college.  Swimming is excellent exercise and you work out many muscles.  There's no stress but you can get some awful cramps if you eat before you swim or don't stretch.

I injured myself by being talked into trying skateboarding and I landed on my arm backwards.  I was in a cast for months and never got back into exercise like I used too.   :'( 

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 01:44:40 AM »
ouch..

funnily enough. andy murray has been going on and on about what amazing shape he looks in.. he's been showing off more and more, doing bicep flexes... now he takes his shirt off. i'm suprised with all that exercise he doesn't look anywhere near as strong as I would have expected with that whole diet and training..

by the way, that is an amazing deal you had in college, food-wise!

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 01:49:24 AM »
ouch..

funnily enough. andy murray has been going on and on about what amazing shape he looks in.. he's been showing off more and more, doing bicep flexes... now he takes his shirt off. i'm suprised with all that exercise he doesn't look anywhere near as strong as I would have expected with that whole diet and training..

by the way, that is an amazing deal you had in college, food-wise!

It was the best deal of all the colleges I visited and I'm sure they don't have it like that anymore.  College in the US costs in many universities now, $52,000 per year. 

Offline takebackourtemple

• Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2009, 09:02:16 PM »
Looks like he did something real stupid. To think, I looked up to him because he was an unpopular person who showed everyone his place. I heard that he was Jewish, but his family gave it up. Figures.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Moshe92

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2009, 09:35:17 PM »
I heard that he was Jewish, but his family gave it up.

Where did you hear that?

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2009, 10:21:29 PM »
I heard that he was Jewish, but his family gave it up.

Where did you hear that?
He gave up Judaism and picked a JOINT!

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Wake up America, Obama is the enemy!
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2009, 10:38:21 PM »

Hi Ruby. I get full from one slice of toast and one egg. It's amazing that some people can hold that much food in their stomachs.

Shalom - Dox

Offline takebackourtemple

• Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2009, 07:37:25 AM »

Hi Ruby. I get full from one slice of toast and one egg. It's amazing that some people can hold that much food in their stomachs.

Shalom - Dox

I wish I had that much self control. Of course then I couldn't enjoy shabbat meals.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?