General Category > General Discussion

What is in a culture?

(1/9) > >>

Daleksfearme:
Over the years, there has been a debate over the relative merits of different cultures and why some cultures have advanced at a more rapid pace than other cultures. Since there are no "genetically inferior races", and in fact, a great deal of discussion over the existence of "Race" at all when applied to humans, what has lead to such a wide range of cultures around the world. And, why do some people appear to lag behind in technological and social issues even after being exposed to the benefits that advances  in technology and social thinking bring.

Of course, a great deal of cultural difference is based in the varied environments that people faced as we spread thoughout the world, and the need to use a wide range of techques to survive in very different places. But why would not people embrace positive change even after exposure to overwhelming proof that a better way exists.

A good example of this are the constant civil wars that are raging in Africa and other parts of the world. For all its current problems, America and other Democratic societies offer a stable, mostly safe ,democratic place to live. It is not as though the people fighting these terrible wars are not aware of the benefits of America etc. But they continue to replace one war lord after another in a constant sea of bloodshed.

Even within America, many do not choose to live in accordance with the concepts and laws that keep us safe and free, at least in a relative way, from violence and civil war. People choose instead to steal, to join gangs, to promote hate and violence etc.

Since there are no fundamental biological issues that do not allow for this understanding to occur, I will admit that I am somewhat at a loss to resolve this issue.

What is the source of this resistance to positive change? Why are some people so filled with hate and anger that they cant see beyond it? And how can righteous people help to solve this problem before it consumes us all?

Any ideas...

Cato:

--- Quote from: Daleksfearme on November 28, 2008, 02:39:31 PM ---Over the years, there has been a debate over the relative merits of different cultures and why some cultures have advanced at a more rapid pace than other cultures. Since there are no "genetically inferior races", and in fact, a great deal of discussion over the existence of "Race" at all when applied to humans, what has lead to such a wide range of cultures around the world. And, why do some people appear to lag behind in technological and social issues even after being exposed to the benefits that advances  in technology and social thinking bring.

Of course, a great deal of cultural difference is based in the varied environments that people faced as we spread thoughout the world, and the need to use a wide range of techques to survive in very different places. But why would not people embrace positive change even after exposure to overwhelming proof that a better way exists.

A good example of this are the constant civil wars that are raging in Africa and other parts of the world. For all its current problems, America and other Democratic societies offer a stable, mostly safe ,democratic place to live. It is not as though the people fighting these terrible wars are not aware of the benefits of America etc. But they continue to replace one war lord after another in a constant sea of bloodshed.

Even within America, many do not choose to live in accordance with the concepts and laws that keep us safe and free, at least in a relative way, from violence and civil war. People choose instead to steal, to join gangs, to promote hate and violence etc.

Since there are no fundamental biological issues that do not allow for this understanding to occur, I will admit that I am somewhat at a loss to resolve this issue.

What is the source of this resistance to positive change? Why are some people so filled with hate and anger that they cant see beyond it? And how can righteous people help to solve this problem before it consumes us all?

Any ideas...

--- End quote ---

Yes, I have an idea. This is that the belief that different races are all of identical genetic abilities is a load of garbage. Plenty of honest anthropologists would agree with this, as would some excellent geneticists such as Jensen and Darlington. The evidence is overwhelming.

Daleksfearme:

--- Quote from: carreg on November 28, 2008, 03:13:44 PM ---
--- Quote from: Daleksfearme on November 28, 2008, 02:39:31 PM ---Over the years, there has been a debate over the relative merits of different cultures and why some cultures have advanced at a more rapid pace than other cultures. Since there are no "genetically inferior races", and in fact, a great deal of discussion over the existence of "Race" at all when applied to humans, what has lead to such a wide range of cultures around the world. And, why do some people appear to lag behind in technological and social issues even after being exposed to the benefits that advances in technology and social thinking bring.

Any ideas...

--- End quote ---

Yes, I have an idea. This is that the belief that different races are all of identical abilities is a load of garbage. Plenty of honest anthropologists would agree with this, as would some excellent geneticists such as Jensen and Darlington.

--- End quote ---

Genetically all humans are 99.9 % the same, and have the ability to reproduce with any other human. So called racial differences are the result of random mutations that are caused by DNA copy error or as the result of environmental stress. These changes are pretty much a "wash" when compared across the world. There are some very well respected research facilities that have good web sites explaining this. Try "Cold Spring Harbor"

The neural architecture of the Human brain is the same regardless of "race" or ethnic group. Therefore i think that the question remains valid. For example Francis Collens, the Director of the Human Genome project is also a very devout Christian. He wrote a very good book titled "The Language of God" that explores some of the biological issues.

muman613:
In my opinion:

All humans suffer from the struggle between good and bad. This is regardless of their culture and their upbringing. According to Jewish belief all of humanity has this struggle. I do not believe that culture is the only reason for people acting badly. I know of cases of people rising out of bad cultures because they can see that the culture elevates evil character traits. It is very good that people can rise out of bad cultures. In last weeks Torah portion we read about Abrahams servant Eliezer who was born under the curse on Kenani was able to elevate himself to the level of blessing.

I believe that all humans are made in Hashems image and thus they can redeem themselves. According to the religious understanding we all are descendants of Noach and all share the same fate.

muman613

briann:
Daleksfearme... you are not noticing the elephant in the room.  An important reason that sub-saharan Africans have had no progress is their IQ.

Here a list of countries with IQ's below 75.  Some of these countries have mixed races (Ex:Arab/Negro), so its tough to pinpoint where or which tribe has the lowest IQ.... BUT!!!!  do you notice a pattern?

Republic of the Congo   73
 Uganda   73
 Jamaica   72
 Kenya   72
 South Africa   72
 Sudan   72
 Tanzania   72
 Ghana   71
 Nigeria   67
 Guinea   66
 Zimbabwe   66
 Democratic Republic of the Congo   65
 Sierra Leone   64
 Ethiopia   63
 Equatorial Guinea   59

Also... this nonsence about race as an artificial construct is very easy to disprove with genetics... and if you want me to disprove it.... I will.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version