Author Topic: I need a Hallacic opinion, please  (Read 3570 times)

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: I need a Hallacic opinion, please
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2008, 09:46:04 PM »
If it had been my store, I would have thought the following:

"I know that black Friday is the craziest shopping day of the year, and my prices are low, so I should expect a very large turnout.  What else should I be concerned about for tomorrow?  Do I have enough staff?  Do I have enough merchandise?  What will happen if I don't have enough merchandise?  People may get upset.  People may fight over products.  It has happened before.  Come to think of it, my customers may be worried about getting the product they want and at a good price.  There may be quite a crowd.  What can I do about that?  If I leave it, someone might get hurt.  I'd better try to somehow get people to proceed in a calm fashion through my store.  Single file lineups at the door might be a good place to start.  It might even be a good idea to hire security.  This is a potentially dangerous situation.  I certainly don't want to put any of my staff in harm's way.  etc."

Doesn't this seem like a reasonable line of thinking?  If you think that this type of thought process is asking too much of a proprietor, then we will have to agree to disagree.  What troubles me more than the issue of whether Walmart bears some of the responsibility for the trampling of their employee, is the suggestion you made that my belief that Walmart is partly responsible for this is comprable to believing that victims of muslim rape somehow had it coming.  That is an inapt comparison, I think.

The comparison is not that applicable to your position, so don't worry..

It was more related to something muman had said, related to what walmart had done wrong.

Your first post didn't specify what Walmart had done wrong.

Muman mentioned
"also apply the mitzvah of placing a stumbling block before the blind, in which case Walmart would have transgressed this by advertising the DVD player for such a great price {a stumbling block for the poor}"

As if Walmart shouldn't have enticed them with low prices..

That's what inspired the parallel I gave, with blaming the woman for getting raped.

And I also had the impression that this was a stampede like the new orleans case, since I read that they were predominantly blacks.  It seems that was wrong.. it's not like they were trying to harm the shop.. e.g. steal.

You are right.. big shops should have security.. lots of people coming in.
But, although your "thinking ahead" - which you do in retrospect!  is good. I think their real experience shows what has happened, and this is also the experience of other stores. A stampede like this is , to a sale, is a first.

Some shops have revolving doors.. But accidents can happen with them too! It may be dangerous if many shoppers barge it. Should they remove the revolving door before a sale?  

This was a freak accident, and involved some immoral customers.. It's too rare, too unknown an occurrence , to say there was negligence. This is a shop.. I'm sure most big stores when they have sales don't have sophisticated crowd control mechanisms to prevent these things. It's just not the kind of problem shops have faced before.

To be fair to security guards in shops.. Most are there to prevent theft.
I'm sure football stadiums, british ones at least, since they have a history of problems, the security would be organised from prior experience and connected to police from prior experience.  So even them who do it competently, didn't figure it out by guesswork.. They figured it out from experience in their field.

It could have been almost any big shop.  So in a situation like that, it's like something that is a mistake anybody could have made.. (though this one was a one-off freak occurrence).  I wouldn't call it negligence, because it's not just one shop.  You can blame all big shops. Walmart was the one in the wrong place at the wrong time!

After the fact though, now that a shop has experienced that, if it happened again there would be a stronger case of negligence..  particularly if it was the same shop!

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2008, 09:49:45 PM »

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2008, 09:57:31 PM »

We do live in an age of what we call in Britain, "no win no fee" .. Where suing is so profitable, law companies are offering their services with that slogan.  It started in america.

america is a country where a customer can spill hot coffee over her legs, burn herself, and sue.

Sure, this is more serious than spilling hot coffee. But I don't think Walmart should suffer a penalty for it.

The people really responsible are those that did it.  If there was film footage it might be possible to identify them.   That would have been a good precaution! And perhaps a good deterrent too.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2008, 10:15:54 PM »

We do live in an age of what we call in Britain, "no win no fee" .. Where suing is so profitable, law companies are offering their services with that slogan.  It started in america.

america is a country where a customer can spill hot coffee over her legs, burn herself, and sue.

Sure, this is more serious than spilling hot coffee. But I don't think Walmart should suffer a penalty for it.

The people really responsible are those that did it.  If there was film footage it might be possible to identify them.   That would have been a good precaution! And perhaps a good deterrent too.
Some years ago we had a tragedy in my family that required going into the police station to look at the mug shots of known criminals. The pages of pictures looked like ink blots one so called face  looked the same as another. When the remark was made to the cop that they all look the same he said " I know they do". The police have been reviewing the video and I have a feeling they already have come to the same conclusion. They all look alike. No way in the world will anyone be charged for this crime. Wall-Mart will just settle to avoid the adverse press.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2008, 09:50:55 AM »

Some years ago we had a tragedy in my family that required going into the police station to look at the mug shots of known criminals. The pages of pictures looked like ink blots one so called face  looked the same as another. When the remark was made to the cop that they all look the same he said " I know they do". The police have been reviewing the video and I have a feeling they already have come to the same conclusion. They all look alike. No way in the world will anyone be charged for this crime. Wall-Mart will just settle to avoid the adverse press.

I remember many years ago(almost 10 years ago), 2 people -tried- to mug me.  One was black. I called the police afterwards because I wanted to see the video of the fight on the CCTV.  I was speaking to the policeman about it.  He said do you remember what they looked like.. I said the white guy had blonde hair. .  he says "ok"..  I said, the black guy had black hair. He says "yeah, they do".  He said "remember anything else about what they looked like?".  I said "well, he was wearing tracksuit bottoms, he just wanted to go, he looked a bit lazy"..
(I don't know what you call that clothing in america
http://www.retrokillerclothing.com/ekmps/shops/retroclothing/images/adidas_firebird_main.jpg 
)