Author Topic: Do You Enjoy Going To The Movies?  (Read 1767 times)

Offline RanterMaximus

• Master JTFer
Do You Enjoy Going To The Movies?
« on: December 01, 2008, 06:36:13 PM »
Personally, most movies today are over hyped and overpriced garbage.  I saw one this past weekend and was reminded what a utter waste of time and money they have become.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
Re: Do You Enjoy Going To The Movies?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 06:42:48 PM »
Most American movies are junk. 

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 06:45:07 PM »
Nowadays.... If I want to see a movie... I download it.   We should always avoid any money going to the entertainment/propoganda industry.

Offline JewishAmericanPatriot

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 06:53:19 PM »
My husband is a movie addict, I keep telling him they are a tremendous waste of money!! The films are overpriced, you have to put up with noise from the animals in the theater (esp. if its in a black area), the concession stand is way overpriced, unhealthy and often not kosher, need I go on?

What I do is, wait for the movie to come out on DVD, then rent it from Netflix. If I like it enough to buy it, I get a used copy on Amazon ("used" on Amazon doesn't always mean really used...often its something someone got as a gift and didn't want, so they sell it on Amazon!)

I highly recommend buying used books, vids, etc on Amazon...always buy from sellers with 4 stars and you won't go wrong.
JOIN THE ANTI-OBAMA RESISTANCE!

America's Last Stand: http://americaslaststand.angelfire.com

SAVAGE INGRATITUDE: http://www.savageingratitude.com

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 06:54:25 PM »
Most American movies are junk. 

don't go self hating ;-)

American films (movies) are the only ones anybody feels are worth watching!

I haven't been into films since Arnie stopped doing his ones.

Maybe there are -a few- foreign films with a great story.. But these must be rare. . The big industry is with the best films, the ones people want to see!

Your words are obviously words of a female that doesn't like action films.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 06:57:13 PM »
Nowadays.... If I want to see a movie... I download it.   We should always avoid any money going to the entertainment/propoganda industry.

Oh, once you start downloading films.. access to other types of film is rather nearby.  There's that risk.

And watching a video sitting on your computer chair looking at a computer monitor, is not watching a film.. And if ones does..then there is the risk of one ruining it. A film is something you watch sitting on a sofa(or maybe a chair in the cinema). Not sitting on a little computer chair staring at a computer monitor,

(dependent on a complex OS like Linux or an OS like Windows, and on  Hardware that at worst can make a noisy clicking windy computer.)

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 07:02:51 PM »
Don't get me wrong, q_q.  There are some good American movies.  The original Die Hard with Bruce Willis comes to mind, as does Blazing Saddles, along with other Mel Brooks films. 

When I was in college, a Spanish teacher of mine once saying that Americans go to movies to be entertained, whereas others watch movies that get them to think.  I'm inclined to agree, being that most films today feature gratuitous nudity and violence. 

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 07:06:10 PM »

Oh, once you start downloading films.. access to other types of film is rather nearby.  There's that risk.

And watching a video sitting on your computer chair looking at a computer monitor, is not watching a film.. And if ones does..then there is the risk of one ruining it. A film is something you watch sitting on a sofa(or maybe a chair in the cinema). Not sitting on a little computer chair staring at a computer monitor,

(dependent on a complex OS like Linux or an OS like Windows, and on  Hardware that at worst can make a noisy clicking windy computer.)

Fortunately for me... Im not a VideoPhile.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 08:39:44 PM »

So stealing is just ok for you... Thats peculiar.. I do not steal anything, money, time, movies, nothing... It is clearly a Jewish imperative to be moral, including the command not to steal.

muman613

PS: There havent been any good action films in many years... I dont think an action film is defined by the special effects. At this time i think special effects have taken the place of good plots and stories.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Sparky

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 12:08:21 AM »
I believe it was Spielberg who said the last great movie made was the Godfather.  I agree.  There just aren't that many great movies anymore. 

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 12:41:00 AM »

So stealing is just ok for you... Thats peculiar.. I do not steal anything, money, time, movies, nothing... It is clearly a Jewish imperative to be moral, including the command not to steal.

I don't pretend to be morally superior so your barking up the wrong tree.  And I guess I would also be 'peculiar' because I have no problem stealing copyright materials and anything else from many other unrighteous and evil companies as well... including Muslim companies, Nazi companies... etc... but it just so happens that I have no interest in their garbage. 

I would also evade federal taxes in order to sabotage the Obama regime.... so I guess I'm the most peculiar evil person here.

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 02:17:55 AM »
I love good movies but I've cut down big time on going because of Hollywood's behavoir and because there are so many awful films.  Muman is right about CGI replacing good scenes.  Some action movies have those over done CGI scenes where you can't even tell what's going on.  Hollywood is less creative too and they redo the same theme over and over. 

I think you should buy films from Craigslist or Ebay only. That way no money is given to the producers and you are not stealing.  Amazon still gives residuals to the Hollywood producers. 

I miss action scenes like the Raiders of the Lost Arc or Star Wars.  Those still beat many films that have these over the top computer generated scenes. 

One thing I'm sick of are all the degenerate comedies trying to outgross each other.  They are rarely funny and original anymore. 

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 03:23:58 AM »
<snip>

I don't pretend to be morally superior so your barking up the wrong tree.  And I guess I would also be 'peculiar' because I have no problem stealing copyright materials and anything else from many other unrighteous and evil companies as well... including Muslim companies, Nazi companies... etc... but it just so happens that I have no interest in their garbage. 

I would also evade federal taxes in order to sabotage the Obama regime.... so I guess I'm the most peculiar evil person here.

So you rationalize your action because you think the industry is evil... But you are watching their movies... Don't you see the oddity of your rationalization. You are consuming something but you are not paying for it. This is theft regardless of your mental contortions. I'll admit that I have friends who engage in this illegal activity, but most rationalize it by saying that they will actually purchase a movie if they like it.

I work in the digital video industry and movie piracy is a crime. An honest man will pay for something if they derive benefit or enjoyment from the product. You seem to think that it is owed to you. I believe that this is a major problem for todays society. This is not a matter of 'morally superiour' but a case of backsliding morals of American society. Too many of todays young people feel that they have things owed to them. I work hard in my business and we are working hard to ensure that people will not be able to pirate the next generation of digital video. It is sad because I have been one against DRM {Digital Rights Management} for many years. But when I see people boldly saying how they want to rip off the studios, the artists, and the actors, then I understand why we are working so hard to prevent gonifs from absconding with the merchandise.

Keep on stealing brother... You will be boldly surprised within 2 years when you will be unable to copy your new DVDs because of DRM... You brought it on us...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 08:10:07 AM »
As hard as you are working to stop it there are others working just as hard to circumvent your efforts.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 08:57:08 AM »
As hard as you are working to stop it there are others working just as hard to circumvent your efforts.

Yes, but the technology gets more complex as time goes by. The new methods are not easily circumvented. Not as easy as CSS which everyone already knows. You will need a license to view the content, and you will be controlled how many times you can view and on which screens. It is not very nice, IMO, and I wish we didn't need to do it.

There will always be people who break the law until Moshiach comes.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 09:32:36 AM »

I don't think they need to work very hard!! (No matter how hard mumans or other types try to circumvent their efforts)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 10:28:14 AM by q_q_ »

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 12:11:56 PM »
<snip>

So you rationalize your action because you think the industry is evil... But you are watching their movies... Don't you see the oddity of your rationalization. You are consuming something but you are not paying for it. This is theft regardless of your mental contortions. I'll admit that I have friends who engage in this illegal activity, but most rationalize it by saying that they will actually purchase a movie if they like it.

I work in the digital video industry and movie piracy is a crime. An honest man will pay for something if they derive benefit or enjoyment from the product. You seem to think that it is owed to you. I believe that this is a major problem for todays society. This is not a matter of 'morally superiour' but a case of backsliding morals of American society. Too many of todays young people feel that they have things owed to them. I work hard in my business and we are working hard to ensure that people will not be able to pirate the next generation of digital video. It is sad because I have been one against DRM {Digital Rights Management} for many years. But when I see people boldly saying how they want to rip off the studios, the artists, and the actors, then I understand why we are working so hard to prevent gonifs from absconding with the merchandise.

Keep on stealing brother... You will be boldly surprised within 2 years when you will be unable to copy your new DVDs because of DRM... You brought it on us...

HAHAHAHAHAH   :::D  If you think that the DRM is going to stop piracy... I have a bridge to sell you!!!!!   

Stop stating that I DONT think this is theft!!!  READ MY POSTS!!!   I AM STEALING!!!!   IT IS THEFT!!!!  I NEVER SAID OTHERWISE!!!  I am a bad person doing a bad thing!!

The oddity of my rationalization?   (Who talks like that??)  My rationalization is VERY SIMPLE!!! I am STEALING from these companies because I want to FINANCIALLY damage/sabotage them!!!!   Thats it!!! There is NOTHING MORE TO IT!!!!  I am NOT TRYING TO BE MORAL!!!
Not at all!!! I am NOT trying to do anything else but to SABOTAGE them!!!!   

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 02:31:45 PM »
<snip>

HAHAHAHAHAH   :::D  If you think that the DRM is going to stop piracy... I have a bridge to sell you!!!!!   

Stop stating that I DONT think this is theft!!!  READ MY POSTS!!!   I AM STEALING!!!!   IT IS THEFT!!!!  I NEVER SAID OTHERWISE!!!  I am a bad person doing a bad thing!!

The oddity of my rationalization?   (Who talks like that??)  My rationalization is VERY SIMPLE!!! I am STEALING from these companies because I want to FINANCIALLY damage/sabotage them!!!!   Thats it!!! There is NOTHING MORE TO IT!!!!  I am NOT TRYING TO BE MORAL!!!
Not at all!!! I am NOT trying to do anything else but to SABOTAGE them!!!!   

So whatever mental gymnastics you are playing you know in your heart you are a gonif. You are a theif and you have no morals. So what makes you any different from a dog or a sheep? You have no morals and are as good as a schvartza because you share their theiving nature.

Because you dislike the companies yet you like what they produce and you have no remorse you are engaging in evil... I know you have no morals and will not listen to my rebuke. Yet you will be judged in heaven and I have faith in that.

Theft is theft and it is wrong no matter what your rationalization is. I am surprised you associate with Jews who are supposed to be a light unto the nations in our moral code. I will always stand with those who prevent the theft of merchandise. To me you are one who will write bad checks to people you don't agree with and you cheat in your business. You lack any sense of morality and will reap what you sow.

You think you can crack DRM, go ahead and try... Our system is complex beyond your wildest imagination and is not as simple to crack as you appear to think. You and your theiving kind give me reason to continue working.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 02:36:49 PM »
Most American movies are garbage, i like foreign films though. The only American films I really like are anything by Michael Mann.