Author Topic: Who Can Save Detroit?  (Read 641 times)

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
Who Can Save Detroit?
« on: December 04, 2008, 02:37:26 PM »
Automakers are heading back to Capitol Hill to plead for a bailout. They may finally get help...but not from Congress.

Can anyone rescue the U.S. automakers?

General Motors, Ford Motor and Chrysler LLC each unveiled plans Tuesday that detailed how they would return to profitability if they get federal loans.

http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-budgeting/article/106249/Who-Can-Save-Detroit?

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Who Can Save Detroit?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 02:41:11 PM »
I hope they are saved. I am certainly getting an american car next time around. Unless the price of an american car is outrageous compared to a comparable import, I will certainly be driving an American car in a few weeks as my current lease is up within the month.
I am urinating on a Koran.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 02:54:27 PM »
There has to be conditions on any type of bailout!!!  Which is why I'd prefer a chapter 11 filing... since its much more responsible as far as oversight and restructuring.

What if they are bailed out?? and then all the stringent union contracts remain... and then... after the next economic cycle.. the companies need to be bailed out again.... so indirectly... the taxpayers are paying for the union's absurd contracts in the end.

Brian

Offline RanterMaximus

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 04:40:52 PM »
If Detroit wants it's bailout, then it needs to renegotiate it's union contracts and start making cars that don't breakdown after about 70,000 miles.  I have owned a Nissan over the past couple of years and it drives like a gem and only gets serviced for basic maintenance.  I owned a GM prior to that and while it was a solid car, there was always a little something needing fixing.  If American car companies can't give us better quality with cars that will lower our oil dependence, the they deserve to go under.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 05:59:18 PM »
If Detroit wants it's bailout, then it needs to renegotiate it's union contracts and start making cars that don't breakdown after about 70,000 miles.  I have owned a Nissan over the past couple of years and it drives like a gem and only gets serviced for basic maintenance.  I owned a GM prior to that and while it was a solid car, there was always a little something needing fixing.  If American car companies can't give us better quality with cars that will lower our oil dependence, the they deserve to go under.

My Nissan's have all been terrible.  If you want reliability... Toyota is much better.

If you want reliable American cars... go for Cadillac or Buick.

Offline RanterMaximus

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 06:22:47 PM »
In fairness, all my Nissans have been trucks.  But you are right about Toyota, as well as Buick and Cadillac.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 06:32:47 PM »
In fairness, all my Nissans have been trucks.  But you are right about Toyota, as well as Buick and Cadillac.

Oh.. and as a sidenote... Honda's are good... and can be bought with the majority of it being made in the USA....   As an inexpensive way to get a reliable car that is mostly made in the USA.

Offline RanterMaximus

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 06:36:33 PM »
Honda is a solid car.  I have known people to get over 300,000 miles with them. 

Offline Abben

• Master JTFer
  • Down with obama!
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 11:51:57 AM »
Honda is a solid car.  I have known people to get over 300,000 miles with them. 

You can get 300k out of any car basically. A lot of people do not know how to take care of a car correctly. Always get oil changes at the correct times plus get them with the same oil and filter that always helps...