Author Topic: A word to posters here.  (Read 3735 times)

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: A word to posters here.
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2008, 08:48:52 PM »
By the way when making this thread, I wasn't demanding that everyone should be on this level where they never get angry, <snip>

"this level" no doubt a level you deem to be very high.

from what you said, it looks like you really think that jews should -ideally- be on a "level" of never getting angry. That would include jews in war then.

that seems a bit silly.

I said ideally. And anyway it is not silly at all. Even in the situation where one kills their enemies during war, it is also for the good. The kavanah is that better that I kill my enemy before it kills me and my family. Also with that attitude the  soldier is much more efficient and focused. Not acting stupid and fighting efficiently and correctly. Doing what needs to be done as opposed to what one feels with their emotions.

I said that you said ideally.

Unfortunately, human beings are not robots or vulcans. If you pretend to be one, you can become apathetic and do nothing, or harm yourself with a bad diet!

Emotions can drive us to do things, good things.

Anger can cause chemical reactions that are very beneficial for fighting.

So what do you say to the Chazal who equate Anger with Idolatry? I dont think there is anything beneficial from anger because it clouds the reasoning ability. Have you ever gotten angry? It is very bad for the soul and for all those around. You claim it is good for fighting but an angry fighter is not one who is thinking logically. I dont think anger is the appropriate term for what you are thinking. I think that an increase in adrenaline can be beneficial to a fighter because a fighter needs to be aware of what is going on around him.

I think that the wisdom of Chazal over-rides your claims...

PS: Your argument is one of 'the yetzer hara is really good' because sometimes it leads to good things {like having a family, etc.}. But we know that a yetzer hara which is not controlled is most certainly not for the good.

I can't give a full analysis.. due to insufficient information. 

But it was rabbi kahane that said, one shouldn't abandon common sense.

When Moshe saw the jewish people with the calf, he would have felt angry, and smashed the tablets..

When shimon and levi defended dina's honour, they must have felt angry.
(note, as rabbi binyamin kahane points out, yaakov doesn't condemn the act, he is just concerned about the reaction)

It's common sense that they felt anger.

That anger was indignation. Anger at injustice. Righteous anger.

So if you want to try to explain chazal, you have to do it taking those things into account too.

Assuming their reactions were right.  Maybe, they were angry, but didn't act while completely overcome by it.

It may well be that there is a pacifist stream within judaism. If you look at the artscroll translation of the letter the RAMBAN wrote to his son, it has commentary too, you see it is very pacifistic. Like turning the other cheek.
There is a story - in a commentary  - of a rabbi lying down on a ship and somebody defecated on his face. He said it was the best day of his life, because he didn't get angry. (I think he didn't do anything, except wipe/wash it off). Biblically, it looks to me like a Chillul Hashem, rabbi kahane would say so for sure.

I have read about not being angry but feigning anger..  That way you get the same reaction from the other person but you are in control of it.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2008, 08:54:09 PM »
"When shimon and levi defended dina's honour, they must have felt angry.
(note, as rabbi binyamin kahane points out, yaakov doesn't condemn the act, he is just concerned about the reaction)"

Rav Kahane also talked about it in Or'Harayon and he specifically points out that Jacob said "Cursed be their anger..." And not the act.

And also not being angry, should not be confused with being pessimistic.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2008, 09:01:24 PM »
From Rav Kahane's book (a little on this)
 English version page 288 (top)

"Jacob did not, G-d forbid, curse Shimon and Levi, but their rage, the evil cause of their sin. It therefore says, "Cursed be their rage for it is fierce," and our sages comment (Bamidbar Rabbah 99:6), "He only cursed their rage." We also find (Lekach Tov, Gen. 49:7), "Cursed be their rage for it is fierce': May their rage be deferred and diminished. May their anger be lessened."
  Zealotry and vengefulness are crucial attributes, but only if exercised for the sake of Heaven, as done by Pinchas.... If vengeful acts are motivated by sinful anger, however, that anger must be condemned."
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2008, 09:05:40 PM »
Rav Kahane also talked about it in Or'Harayon and he specifically points out that Jacob said "Cursed be their anger..." And not the act.

And also not being angry, should not be confused with being pessimistic.

I see the shchem incident was ch34

I see the verse you speak of in ch49 - where jacob has all his sons assembled.

It seems to be against some excesses. Cursing their anger for certain reasons. Not for the anger itself.

49:5  "Simeon and Levi are brothers; Weapons of violence are their swords.

49:6  My soul, don't come into their council; My glory, don't be united to their assembly; For in their anger they killed a man, In their self-will they hamstrung an ox.

49:7  Cursed be their anger, for it was fierce; And their wrath, for it was cruel. I will divide them in Jacob, Scatter them in Israel.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2008, 09:10:17 PM »
From Rav Kahane's book (a little on this)
 English version page 288 (top)

"Jacob did not, G-d forbid, curse Shimon and Levi, but their rage, the evil cause of their sin. It therefore says, "Cursed be their rage for it is fierce," and our sages comment (Bamidbar Rabbah 99:6), "He only cursed their rage." We also find (Lekach Tov, Gen. 49:7), "Cursed be their rage for it is fierce': May their rage be deferred and diminished. May their anger be lessened."
  Zealotry and vengefulness are crucial attributes, but only if exercised for the sake of Heaven, as done by Pinchas.... If vengeful acts are motivated by sinful anger, however, that anger must be condemned."

Rage is uncontrolled anger.  Doing things you would regret. 

He says that is cursed.

Rabbi Kahane is completely clear from that, that not all anger is condemned. 

And with common sense, one would know that anger is not condemned anyway!! As Rabbi Kahane himself said, (I don't recall the exact words) but, not to abandon your common sense when making a decision based on Torah.  (many rabbis do indeed abandon their common sense when doing so, like committing national suicide in order to get more money for a yeshiva)

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2008, 11:09:30 PM »
Praise G-d.
  A brand new shiur just on this by the great Rav Wallerstein.

12/10/08 Vayishlach Anger Management The Torah Way

Offline Sparky

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2008, 02:32:14 AM »
Does the use of an "angry face" really warrant this much attention?  Seriously.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2008, 08:49:27 AM »

I'm waiting for the thread about this one  :beast:

Offline 4International

• JTFer in Exile
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2008, 09:08:53 AM »

Thats a BEAST. As in "muslim nazi BEAST"

These two below look quite funny. I guess they could be used when referring to Uzi Zalka the nazi fag beast and the Peace Now nazi beasts on zootube:

:disease: :coffee:

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2008, 06:24:40 PM »

I don't like that one at all!
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2008, 06:37:01 PM »
Anger against evil is a good thing.   However, in communicating beliefs, pursuading people with opinions, having intellectual (or moral, religious, etc) discussions with people, either in person or in a forum, one is most convincing and compelling by suppressing anger in order to state opinions more convincingly and in clear-headed manner.   I do agree that the icon serves well the purpose of reacting angrily to a muslim terrorist nazi attack or some other terrible event that happens in the world, but in most cases, if one really wishes to communicate his feeling/reaction in a written forum such as this, typed out responses accomplish a lot more than a mere cartoon.

As far as in our personal lives, anger is in general a negative trait and we have to avoid letting anger influence us to do sinful behavior such as treating people negatively (those in our personal lives who deserve to be treated fairly and with respect always!  Not talking about terrorists here).  This is a huge problem for many people who overreact or engage in harsh behavior (in many cases abusive!) due to their emotional disposition/response getting the better of them.    The term "cooler heads prevail" comes to mind.   One mustn't let raw emotion reign over them or bring about imbalance which leads to very negative consequences in personal lives.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2008, 06:48:12 PM »

That is insulting to Wolves all over the world to put a retard face on a wolves body

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2008, 06:51:03 PM »

That is insulting to Wolves all over the world to put a retard face on a wolves body

Maybe it's a Muslim wolf. lol