Author Topic: Obama sorry for Special Olympics gaffe  (Read 1919 times)

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
Obama sorry for Special Olympics gaffe
« on: March 20, 2009, 09:34:47 AM »
White House: ‘Tonight Show’ remark not meant to disparage disabled

President Barack Obama has apologized to the chairman of the Special Olympics for his late-night talk show quip equating his bowling skills to those of athletes with disabilities.

Appearing on NBC's "The Tonight Show" Thursday, the president told host Jay Leno he'd been practicing at the White House's bowling alley but wasn't happy with his score of 129. Then he remarked: "It was like the Special Olympics or something."

The audience laughed, but the White House quickly recognized the blunder. The Special Olympics is a non-profit organization dedicated to individuals with mental and physical disabilities.

On his way back to Washington on Air Force One, Obama called the chairman of the Special Olympics, Tim Shriver, to say he was sorry — even before the taped program aired late Thursday night.

"He expressed his disappointment and he apologized in a way that was very moving. He expressed that he did not intend to humiliate this population," Shriver said Friday on ABC's "Good Morning America." Obama, Shriver said, wants to have some Special Olympic athletes visit the White House to bowl or play basketball.

Still, Shriver said, "I think it's important to see that words hurt and words do matter. And these words that in some respect can be seem as humiliating or a put down to people with special needs do cause pain and they do result in stereotypes."

Shriver is the son of Special Olympics founder Eunice Kennedy Shriver and nephew of Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, whose endorsement early in the Democratic primaries was critical to Obama winning his party's nomination.

Deputy Press Secretary Bill Burton told reporters traveling with Obama that the president's offhand remark was not meant to disparage the Special Olympics, only to poke some fun at the commander in chief's bowling skills.

"He thinks that the Special Olympics are a wonderful program that gives an opportunity to shine to people with disabilities from around the world," Burton said.

Despite making fun of his score, the president appears to be getting better the more he visits the White House lanes, which President Truman installed in 1947. During a campaign photo op a year ago at a bowling alley in Altoona, Pa., he rolled only a 37 in seven frames. The clip of the disastrous game was replayed on late night television shows such as Leno's — one of Obama's few campaign gaffes.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29784865/?ocid=MSNToolbar130

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
Re: Obama sorry for Special Olympics gaffe
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 09:56:48 AM »
Obama is an complete buffoon.

He has no class and/or tact.

Imagine, that if Bush made a gaffe like this, we would be hearing about it for at least a week.

But, since it's the chosen one it's being lightly passed over in a single news cycle.

Offline Daleksfearme

• Pro JTFer
  • What is, What was, What could be. thats what I see
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 07:46:20 PM »
maybe he can give them a boxed set of movies to make up for it....or is that just for the brits?

It was a hidious hurtful thing to say.
"You must not have looked in the new dictionary for the word Genocide, Because Right next to it is a picture of me with a capton that reads...over my dead body!"

The Doctor

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »
Obama is sorry for his gaffe about the Special Olympics.

And I am sorry he was voted to be President of the U.S.A..

Offline Sparky

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 09:18:12 PM »
I don't think it was the best thing to say, but I don't think it was so horrible either.  Being political correct all the time gets tiresome.  Obama's intent was to make fun of himself. I don't think he has something against the handicapped.

That said, I still despise the guy.   :yuck:

Offline Xoce

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 09:35:53 PM »
Obama is sorry for his gaffe about the Special Olympics.

And I am sorry he was voted to be President of the U.S.A..

I could think of a few more things obama should be sorry for... starting with his teen-aged mama's mating habits.
aka Someone Else

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 11:01:41 PM »
There is a black guy at the Special Olympics who bowled three perfect games.  Obama will throw anyone under the bus when he's under scrutiny, even by Jay Leno. 

That is the real Obama, an elitist, liberal who thinks he can say anything because he's black.   

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 11:15:59 PM »
He forgot that he's the President of the United States of America.  Even he can't believe it!

Offline eb22

• Ultimate JTFer
  • No Appeasement.or Concessions.Fakestine is a Hoax.
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 11:31:56 PM »
There is a black guy at the Special Olympics who bowled three perfect games.  Obama will throw anyone under the bus when he's under scrutiny, even by Jay Leno. 

That is the real Obama, an elitist, liberal who thinks he can say anything because he's black.   

Well said.   

When Barack Hussein Obama doesn't have a teleprompter in front of him,     the real Obama is on display.   
"Israel's leaders seem to be more afraid of Obama than they are of G-d. Now we're getting to the real root of the problem. Secular politics won't save Israel. Denying the divine nature of the Jewish State has brought Israel neither stability nor peace. When that changes Israel will finally be blessed with both in abundance"-----------NormanF   ( Posted on Israel Matzav's Blog )

http://jtf.org/

Offline Abben

• Master JTFer
  • Down with obama!
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 01:13:22 AM »
Obama is an complete buffoon.

He has no class and/or tact.

Imagine, that if Bush made a gaffe like this, we would be hearing about it for at least a week.

But, since it's the chosen one it's being lightly passed over in a single news cycle.

Cause if bush ever made that remake it would be in the press for a month

Offline ItalianZionist

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 02:59:02 AM »
How can someone be so stupid?

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 03:45:40 AM »
It wasn't a gaffe he is a retard
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 04:23:20 AM »

Well said.   

When Barack Hussein Obama doesn't have a teleprompter in front of him,     the real Obama is on display.   

I've actually heard some news sources (NBC, CNN) say that Obama has gone without his teleprompter more than any president so that's why he's messed up occassionally.  The American media are such liars that I can't believe anyone listens to them anymore. >:(  They seem to have dropped the wiretapping story.  Why?  Because Obama kept the Bush wiretapping policy!