Author Topic: Jimmy Carter planning on meeting with Hezbollah  (Read 2456 times)

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
Jimmy Carter planning on meeting with Hezbollah
« on: December 09, 2008, 01:29:15 AM »
http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=40451

Here's a shocker.  First Hamas.. now Hezbollah... and after this.... I'm sure Ahmadinejad and then Osama Bin Laden are on his list.

Jerusalem (CNSNews.com) – Visiting Lebanon this week, former President Jimmy Carter has not ruled out a meeting with representatives of Hezbollah, the Iranian-sponsored terrorist organization which prior to 9/11 was responsible for more American terror-related deaths than any other organization.

Carter is due to visit Lebanon and Syria this week, the Carter Center in Atlanta said in a statement on Friday.

The center, which monitors elections around the world, is considering observing parliamentary elections in Lebanon scheduled for next spring, and the former president’s visit aims to assess the situation.

“During his visit, President Carter will discuss recent developments in Lebanon and the Middle East with officials and representatives of major political blocs in parliament and civil society leaders,” said center representative Hrair Balianion.

Asked whether this would include a meeting with Hezbollah, which is part of a pro-Syrian bloc in the Lebanese parliament, the center did not deny that this was a possibility, but told CNSNews.com the schedule was not finalized.

“We are in contact with major parliamentary blocs, and we anticipate meeting with almost all,” Carter’s press secretary Deanna Congileo said in an emailed response.

“However, our schedule in Lebanon is not finalized, and I can’t confirm who he will be meeting with at this point.”

Long a fixture on the State Department’s list of foreign terrorist organizations, Hezbollah also operates as a political party in Lebanon. Along with other pro-Syrian groups it has controlling veto power over the pro-Western government of Prime Minister Fouad Siniora.

The English-language Lebanese news site Naharnet reported that Carter would meet with Lebanese President Michel Suleiman, Siniora, parliamentary speaker Nabih Berri as well as “representatives of several parliamentary blocs, including Hezbollah.”

Set up with the help of Iran shortly after the Islamic revolution in Tehran, Hezbollah in 1983 was blamed for a series of suicide bombings at the U.S. Embassy and a U.S. Marine barracks in Beirut, and another at a French military barracks. The embassy bombing cost the lives of 60 people, 17 of them Americans. The Marine barracks bombing killed 241 people, mostly U.S. Marines. Sixty French soldiers were also killed in the bombing of the French barracks.

Hezbollah targeted America again when in 1985 it hijacked TWA flight 847 en route from Athens to Rome, demanding the release of more than 700 Lebanese and Palestinian prisoners held by Israel. The hijackers singled out Robert Stethem, 23, a U.S. Navy diver, tortured and murdered him, and threw his body on the tarmac at the Beirut airport.

One of the hijackers, Mohammed Ali Hamadi, was arrested, tried and convicted of Stethem’s murder and sentenced to life in jail in Frankfurt, Germany, but controversially released in 2005. He returned to Lebanon and Hezbollah.

Another of the perpetrators, notorious terrorist mastermind Imad Mugniyah, was killed in an as-yet unclaimed Damascus bomb blast earlier this year.

Hezbollah has also been linked to the bombings of the Israeli Embassy and a Jewish community center in Argentina in the early 1990s, at the cost of 114 lives, and to the 1996 bombing of the Khobar Towers in Saudi Arabia, which killed 19 U.S. servicemen.

Other attacks researchers have attributed to Hezbollah include a series of bombings in Paris in 1986, which killed 13; an unsuccessful attempt to carry out attacks in Cyprus in 1988; a plot, foiled by Spanish police, to carry out attacks against Jewish targets in Europe in 1989; an unsuccessful attempt to detonate a car bomb outside a Jewish community building in Romania in 1992; the bombing of a small passenger plane carrying 18 passengers in Panama in 1994; and a planned 1996 attack, also foiled by police, on an Israeli institution in Paris.

Richard Armitage, who served as deputy secretary of state from 2001 to 2005, in 2002 called Hezbollah a member of the international terrorist “A-team.”

Hezbollah has had a controlling veto in the Lebanese government since the summer.

The current policy guidelines of that government imply that Hezbollah can keep its weapons and guarantees “the right of the Lebanon’s people, army, and resistance to liberate” what it calls “Israeli-occupied” areas and “defend the country using all legal and possible means.”

According to United Nations Security Council Resolution 1701, which ended the 2006 Israeli-Hezbollah war, the Lebanese government was meant to disarm Hezbollah. Instead, Israeli official say Hezbollah has tripled its pre-war armaments with Iranian and Syrian help and now possesses some 40,000 short- and medium-range missiles.

Controversy

Carter caused controversy when he visited the Middle East in April. Although advised by Washington not to meet with leaders of the Palestinian terrorist organization Hamas – whose charter calls for the destruction of Israel – he did so anyway.

He said at the time that Israel and the U.S. “refuse to meet with these people who must be involved” in the Israeli-Palestinian peace process.

Israeli leaders were furious and most refused to meet with Carter. Israel, the U.S. and other members of the Middle East Quartet have boycotted Hamas since it won a majority of seats in parliamentary elections – also observed by the Carter Center – in 2006.

They are demanding that Hamas abandon terrorism, recognize Israel and abide by previous Israeli-Palestinian agreements. Until then, Israel says there is no point in talking to the group.

Carter said at the time that Israel’s fierce objections to his meetings with Hamas leaders had added “spice and humor” to his trip to the region.

He also laid a wreath at the tomb of former PLO chairman Yasser Arafat, dubbed the “godfather of terrorism.”

During his visit to the Middle East this week, Carter is also scheduled to address students, faculty and invited guests at the American University of Beirut. He will speak on “30 years after Camp David: A memo to the Arab World, Israel and the Quartet,” the Carter Center said. In 1978, Carter brokered negotiations at Camp David that led the following year to the Israeli-Egyptian peace agreement.

Carter also is scheduled to travel to Damascus, where he will meet with Syrian President Bashar Assad and other officials “to discuss the prospects for peace in the Middle East.”

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
Re: Jimmy Carter planning on meeting with Hezbollah
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 01:35:21 AM »
I hope he brings plenty of condoms. But I'm sure he already has HIV anyway, so does he really need them?

Offline Xoce

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 04:03:39 AM »
UGH.  The guy is not dead yet?!  -was my first reaction.
He needs to fade into obscurity.
aka Someone Else

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 09:33:38 AM »
If Carter meets with Hezbollah, he will return back in Camel Cart.
 :camel:
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline Debbie Shafer

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 11:56:37 AM »
Carter is such a phony, and pretending to be a Christian.  He doesn't even know the bible, I will bless those who bless Israel, and curse those who curse her.  Let it be known that the Newspapers are falling, because of their lies and scandals, Hollywood is falling, Businesses are falling, and the politicians are being exposed.  I believe there are more truths to come in 09.

These politicians who negotiate with Israel's enemies, who would do her in, are in for some rough times. Count on it!

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 12:50:16 PM »

Well hello again, BabylonianJew. Nice to see you know how to use "logic". Like you really are a Christian. Your gd is Odin.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 07:05:08 PM by Lisa »

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 12:51:17 PM »
ooooh...i thought he was going on to EAT hezballah.. :::D
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 12:52:54 PM »
ooooh...i thought he was going on to EAT hezballah.. :::D
Well, he is, if you know what I mean.  :suave:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 12:59:34 PM by C.F. »

Offline Muck DeFuslims

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 01:00:26 PM »

First of all as a Christian let me give you some info; because Jews did not accept Jesus as Messiah, that mantle of "chosen" was taken from them and given to the gentiles.

As a Jew, let me give you some info. We do not accept Jesus as Messiah. We will never accept Jesus as Messiah. We are, have been, and always will be the chosen people. Your claim of being the new chosen people is false.

I don't know if you're a troll trying to stir up trouble, but you should take your replacement theology somewhere else. It's offensive to the Jewish members of this forum and has no place here.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 01:06:13 PM »
Carter is such a phony, and pretending to be a Christian.  He doesn't even know the bible, I will bless those who bless Israel, and curse those who curse her.  Let it be known that the Newspapers are falling, because of their lies and scandals, Hollywood is falling, Businesses are falling, and the politicians are being exposed.  I believe there are more truths to come in 09.

These politicians who negotiate with Israel's enemies, who would do her in, are in for some rough times. Count on it!

Yes, but after that the Mohammed came along and the mantel of "chosen" was taken away and given to the muslims, then after that the Jim Jones cult came alone and took it, but then they all killed themselves by drinking the Kool-aid, and the mantel of the chosen came back to the Jews.  :laugh:

Hey if he likes nonsense, lets give him nonsense.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 07:05:47 PM by Lisa »
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 01:45:06 PM »

TROLL ALERT!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 07:06:13 PM by Lisa »

Offline godhelpus

• New JTFer
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 02:07:28 PM »

Yes, but after that the Mohammed came along and the mantel of "chosen" was taken away and given to the muslims, then after that the Jim Jones cult came alone and took it, but then they all killed themselves by drinking the Kool-aid, and the mantel of the chosen came back to the Jews.  :laugh:

New York I'm simply writing what Paul says in the New Testament. Now as a Jew, maybe that's nonsense to you. Folks who are Muslim think we both (Jews and Christians) are not making sense. Since we all speak according to faith (that which we believe but cannot prove), I say we leave it to G-d. Can we agree on this point?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 07:06:51 PM by Lisa »

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 02:50:46 PM »

Correct, what Paul said. G-d said the Jews are the Chosen, Paul doesn't supercede G-d.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 07:07:20 PM by Lisa »
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 02:59:20 PM »
I just banned that troll a little while ago. 

Offline Spectator

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 03:38:31 PM »
Our sages say: "The one who is merciful to the cruel will eventually be cruel to the merciful"

Jimmy Carter is a good example of such person
Do not put your trust in princes, nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help (Psalms 146:3)

Offline Abben

• Master JTFer
  • Down with obama!
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 03:55:02 PM »
I hope he brings plenty of condoms. But I'm sure he already has HIV anyway, so does he really need them?

CF what do you mean by that?

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2008, 08:04:36 PM »
What is troubling to me about Jimmy Carter is not Jimmy Carter.  He is evil pretending to be good.  How many times have we seen that?  What bothers me about Jimmy Carter is how much the democrats ADORE him.  The democrats' love for Jimmy Carter symbolizes to me the turn America is taking away from good, towards evil.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2008, 08:25:51 PM »
What is troubling to me about Jimmy Carter is not Jimmy Carter.  He is evil pretending to be good.  How many times have we seen that?  What bothers me about Jimmy Carter is how much the democrats ADORE him.  The democrats' love for Jimmy Carter symbolizes to me the turn America is taking away from good, towards evil.

I think that pre-Jimmy... the democrats were mostly decent and patriotic.  He steered the party in an awful direction.

Offline EffIran

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 07:30:47 PM »
Is it wrong to pray for Carter's death?

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 07:49:39 PM »
Lets hope that Jimmy carters prostate and smolmerts prostate compete with each other as to which will develop the most cancer in the quickest time.
I am urinating on a Koran.

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2008, 08:27:57 PM »
I just read that Hezbollah refuses to meet with him.

From JTA:

["]
Hezbollah won’t meet with Carter
December 10, 2008

WASHINGTON (JTA) -- Hezbollah leaders refused to meet with Jimmy Carter.

On Wednesday, a day after Carter landed in Beirut and said he would be willing to meet with Hezbollah officials if they were willing to meet with him, Hezbollah leaders said they would not meet with him.

The former U.S. president, who will travel on to Syria, was scheduled to meet in Beirut with political leaders to plan his Carter Center's monitoring of the next Lebanese elections.

"I am going to meet with all of the political parties as possible," Carter said Tuesday. "I understand that several leaders of Hezbollah said they were not going to meet with any president or former president of the United States, so I don't know yet."

Carter, who has been critical of what he says is the pro-Israel tilt of U.S. foreign policy, also will speak Dec. 12 at the American University in Beirut on "30 years after Camp David: A memo to the Arab World, Israel and the Quartet." Carter brokered the Camp David Egypt-Israel peace accords. The Quartet refers to the grouping of the United States, the United Nations, Russia and the European Union that guides the current Israeli-Palestinian peace process.

Carter will meet in Syria with President Bashar Assad "to discuss the prospects for peace in the Middle East," according to a statement from the Atlanta-based Carter Center, the human rights group he established and still leads. Carter was widely criticized in April when he met in Syria with the exiled Hamas leader Khaled Mashaal. The United States labels Hezbollah and Hamas terrorist organizations.

Israel and Syria have been negotiating peace indirectly under Turkish auspices but without the encouragement of the Bush administration, which regards Syria as a terrorist-backing rogue nation.

A number of dovish pro-Israel peace activists and groups in the United States are pressing President-elect Barack Obama to give priority to Israel-Syria talks, saying the Israeli-Palestinian track is intractable for now.

[""]

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2008, 08:59:17 PM »
I just read that Hezbollah refuses to meet with him.
I doubt that the meeting has been called off; it's probably just been relocated to the steam room of Beirut's most exclusive private Turkish baths.