Author Topic: Stocks surge after Fed cuts rates to record lows  (Read 1677 times)

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
Stocks surge after Fed cuts rates to record lows
« on: December 16, 2008, 05:25:27 PM »
NEW YORK – A surprised Wall Street bolted higher Tuesday after the Federal Reserve's historic decision to further slash interest rates and pledge broad support to revive the troubled economy.

The Dow Jones industrials surged 360 points, or 4.2 percent, and broader indexes jumped more than 5 percent after the central bank said it will use "all available tools" to jump-start the economy. It also set its target for the rate at which banks lend to each other to a range of zero to 0.25 percent, the lowest level on record.

Demand for long-term government bonds increased and pushed yields to record lows.

The promise of further government action and a Swiss-army-knife approach for mending the economy damped concerns that policymakers were running low on tools to fan the economy by further lowering interest rates.

The idea that the Fed will likely proceed with plans to snap up government and mortgage debt made it easier for investors to place bets that the central bank will do what is necessary to help bring an end to the longest recession in a quarter-century.

"Today was a reminder that the Fed was on the case," said Jim McDonald, director of equity research at Northern Trust in Chicago. "It was a reaffirmation of their willingness to be very aggressive."

"What we heard today was not revolutionarily different but it was a reminder that they are committed to using their balance sheet to the fullest extent to repair the financial markets and stimulate the economy."

The Fed's unprecedented move to lower its fed funds target rate to a range of zero to 0.25 percent rather than a fixed point was a surprise. The move is an acknowledgment that rates in the marketplace had been well below the Fed's 1 percent target, which it set at its previous meeting on Oct. 29. The central bank also cut the lending rate for loans directly to banks.

Many analysts had expected the Fed would cut its fed funds rate to 0.5 percent from 1 percent.

"In some senses the whole point of this meeting was to say quit watching interest rates, watch the other things that we can and will do," said Bruce McCain, chief investment strategist at Key Private Bank in Cleveland.

Jack A. Ablin, chief investment officer at Harris Private Bank, said the fact that the Fed targeted a range for its fed fund rate indicates that policy makers did not want to bring the rate all the way to zero. Such a move could have had problematic implications for money market funds, whose fees could then outpace yields.

The Dow rose 359.61, or 4.20 percent, to 8,924.14 after having been up about 100 in subdued trading ahead of the Fed's announcement.

Broader stock indicators also rose. The Standard & Poor's 500 index advanced 44.61, or 5.14 percent, to 913.18, and the Nasdaq composite index rose 81.55, or 5.41 percent, to 1,589.89.

The Russell 2000 index of smaller companies rose 30.28, or 6.69 percent, to 482.85.

The number of stocks advancing outnumbered those declining by 5-to-1 on the New York Stock Exchange, where volume came to 1.54 billion.

Demand for government bonds surged. The yield on the benchmark 10-year Treasury note, which moves opposite its price, fell to 2.28 percent from 2.53 percent late Monday. The yield on the 30-year fell to a record low 2.75 from 2.99 percent late Monday.

Meanwhile, the yield on the popular three-month T-bill — whose yield has at times gone negative due to frenzied buying — was at 0.03 percent up from 0.02 percent late Monday.

The dollar was mixed against other major currencies, while gold prices rose.

Light, sweet crude fell 91 cents to settle at $43.60 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange.

The rate decision came on a day when investors received two more pieces of evidence on Tuesday that the economy was worsening: The Commerce Department reported a 18.9 percent drop in new home construction in November, while the Labor Department said consumer prices sank by 1.7 percent.

Richard E. Cripps, chief market strategist for Stifel Nicolaus, said the recent string of downbeat economic readings could eventually convince Wall Street that the economy has hit a bottom and could be poised for a modest recovery. In past downturns, the data remain weak long after the economy has began to recover.

"The idea is it's so bad that maybe it doesn't take much to go up from here," he said.

Wall Street remained nervous about the growing list of firms and individual investors affected by investment manager Bernard Madoff, who is accused of scamming investors.

Madoff, former chairman of the Nasdaq stock market, was arrested Thursday in what the Securities and Exchange Commission is calling one of the biggest Ponzi schemes on record. Investors of all sizes — from major banks to small charities — may record losses of more than $50 billion. Firms invested in his fund include such major European banks as HSBC Holdings PLC, Banco Santander, BNP Paribas, and Royal Bank of Scotland Group PLC.

Markets overseas were mixed. Japan's Nikkei stock average fell 1.12 percent, while Hong Kong's Hang Seng index rose 0.55 percent. Britain's FTSE 100 rose 0.74 percent, Germany's DAX index rose 1.61 percent, and France's CAC-40 rose 2.07 percent.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081216/ap_on_bi_st_ma_re/wall_street

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
Re: Stocks surge after Fed cuts rates to record lows
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 05:26:52 PM »
It'll go down again. Trust me.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 06:36:57 PM »

It will because all that government has done so far is compound the problem. The fools think they can trick the system however the only thing that will set things to right is the inevitable correction that must and will take place. Putting it off is like a person with a bad tooth. They can kill the pain for a while but before long they will be sorry that it wasn't taken  care of correctly from the start.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 06:48:33 PM »
Sounds like you all are just jealous of those who are surviving this terrible economy. It is a shame you are cursing our economy because in truth there is great innovation going on. We are working like dogs here to produce a demo for the Consumer Electronics Show coming up in Las Vegas. Nobody should be wishing ill on the American economy. I know how some feel about America but I am still proud to be an American and will always defend Americas honor. I am very thankful to the blessings which have been bestowed on me and my family here in the United States.I hope that those who are wishing us harm thinks about what they are saying. Why would anyone wish harm and discomfort on those working hard to support themselves and their families?

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 06:49:05 PM »

It will because all that government has done so far is compound the problem. The fools think they can trick the system however the only thing that will set things to right is the inevitable correction that must and will take place. Putting it off is like a person with a bad tooth. They can kill the pain for a while but before long they will be sorry that it wasn't taken  care of correctly from the start.

Good Analogy.  To me its like a rubber band being pulled.  The longer you try and hold it back... the harder it will eventually snap.   They did this with the S.E. asian crisis too.  The IMF kept lending to Thailand, etc... in the 90's, thinking that they could stop the crash of the market.  It just ended up making things worse.  

At some point... you have to say... ok... we've done everything we can within a reasonable measure... now, the economy has to have its time for reckoning.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 06:50:42 PM »
<snip>
Good Analogy.  To me its like a rubber band being pulled.  The longer you try and hold it back... the harder it will eventually snap.   They did this with the S.E. asian crisis too.  The IMF kept lending to Thailand, etc... in the 90's, thinking that they could stop the crash of the market.  It just ended up making things worse.  

At some point... you have to say... ok... we've done everything we can within a reasonable measure... now, the economy has to have its time for reckoning.

And we will survive this dip too... I have lived through at least four of these cycles and I always end up on top... After ever 'bubble' that burst I ended up with a better paying job, more disposable income, more cars, and nicer homes... I hope that after this one passes I get my Shelby Mustang!

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 06:52:58 PM »
Sounds like you all are just jealous of those who are surviving this terrible economy. It is a shame you are cursing our economy because in truth there is great innovation going on. We are working like dogs here to produce a demo for the Consumer Electronics Show coming up in Las Vegas. Nobody should be wishing ill on the American economy. I know how some feel about America but I am still proud to be an American and will always defend Americas honor. I am very thankful to the blessings which have been bestowed on me and my family here in the United States.I hope that those who are wishing us harm thinks about what they are saying. Why would anyone wish harm and discomfort on those working hard to support themselves and their families?

Why do we sound jealous to you???  I am trying to earn as much as I can to support my family and my cause.  We are prepared, and so are many here on the board.

BUT!!!!!!!   A)  The government CAN harm things, and they WILL.  They are already doing it as we speak.  And we are just pointing it out.  This is what I do for a living...   I point out stupidity by those in control.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 06:56:20 PM »
Ok, I agree that there is a need for rectification in every system. I have lived through enough to know not to run around thinking it is the end of the world. I live with it... I was under-employed from 2001-2003 {did some contract programming} but luckily in 2003 I started the job I am currently working at. I have been very lucky {blessed} because the company I am at values me and takes care of me in many ways. I always show my gratitude to my company and to my country for providing me this opportunity to work in the field of my dreams.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 06:56:49 PM »
<snip>

And we will survive this dip too... I have lived through at least four of these cycles and I always end up on top... After ever 'bubble' that burst I ended up with a better paying job, more disposable income, more cars, and nicer homes... I hope that after this one passes I get my Shelby Mustang!

WOW a shelby mustang... Im impressed.  THis bubble is NOT like the previous ones of the last 50 years .  Not even remotely similar.  It is actually WORSE than the circumstances leading up to 1929.  HOWEVER... we have learned a lot since then... and we are potentially in a better situation than then, since we still have done some defensive measures that were NOT done in the 30s.  

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 07:00:26 PM »
Time to kiss cheap gas goodbye. Here we go again...

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 07:09:36 PM »
The faster it goes back up the better. The evil animals in congress and in the state houses are fixing to tax it to death now that its gone down so much. If it stays down for any amount of time they will get their taxes in. When it does go back up it will still have all the new taxes on top of it then being high priced again.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 07:14:51 PM »

Bite your tongue... I drive 140 miles a day and currently I am saving some money.... When it was expensive I was paying something like $120/week on gas. Im in a better mood when gas is cheaper...

Offline Roadwarrior

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 08:41:52 PM »

Boom-bust patterns are just part of the business cycle
and have occurred many times in American History.

No matter what the Fed does it cant prevent this downturn ....
Recessions are inevitable no matter what politicians say or do.

The question is how deep and long will this one last ..

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 10:07:13 PM »
The faster it goes back up the better. The evil animals in congress and in the state houses are fixing to tax it to death now that its gone down so much. If it stays down for any amount of time they will get their taxes in. When it does go back up it will still have all the new taxes on top of it then being high priced again.

Boy do I dissagree with this.  As much as I hate taxes... I LOVE the fact that the tumbling price of oil is going to absolutely implode the middle east.  The Muslims are already on the verge of economic disaster... and this will be the barrel that breaks their camel's back.

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008, 10:50:26 PM »

Boy do I dissagree with this.  As much as I hate taxes... I LOVE the fact that the tumbling price of oil is going to absolutely implode the middle east.  The Muslims are already on the verge of economic disaster... and this will be the barrel that breaks their camel's back.

Yes.  Chavez in Venezuela is facing tons of problems now that he doesn't have all that money to hand out to useless programs and evil policies.  The Gulf States not only are losing money from the drop in oil prices but they were very heavily invested in the US economy and real estate loans.  I'm thinking just like Japan got raked over the coals in the 1980's after it bought real estate and assests high and sold low, so will the Gulf States. 

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2008, 11:08:46 PM »
Ok, I agree that there is a need for rectification in every system. I have lived through enough to know not to run around thinking it is the end of the world. I live with it... I was under-employed from 2001-2003 {did some contract programming} but luckily in 2003 I started the job I am currently working at. I have been very lucky {blessed} because the company I am at values me and takes care of me in many ways. I always show my gratitude to my company and to my country for providing me this opportunity to work in the field of my dreams.

Muman.  I really am in the same situation.  I'm so grateful to live in America and my company has been good to me.  I'm really worried that Obama will take credit for things he was against and will ruin this country with insane economic policies. I think we need to hit bottom like an alcoholic before we can see the problems clearly though, even though it may be painful.

Offline Debbie Shafer

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2008, 08:25:14 AM »
The stock surge was a surprise and good news.  I have been disgusted with all the banks, and busisnesses who loaned money to people who could not afford homes.  In some areas of the country credit unions are paying their members dividends because they did so well.

They never leant money to those who did not qualify, and the members were conservative and knew how to budget, and not go beyond their means.  These are simple principles, and its too bad that the big 3 automakers, and AIG, Shearson Lehman, JP Morgan, Fannie, and Freddie and others did not follow basic principles to stay in the black.   My criticism is very high of these companies and their greed!

AIG has even resorted to considering Sharia Finance to get them out of debt.  Hopefully everyone will call Peter Tulupman, who is the public Relations Manager, 212-770-3141 and express their disapproval with how AIG is entangling itself with Shariah and Islam. 

Jim Crain  is the person to call for more information about the Shariah-compliant insurance now being offered.  He can be reached at 617-345-4105.  These companies are selling the United States to Islamic practices, and Sharia law, and its got to stop!

www.actforamerica.org has more information for anyone who is concerned.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2008, 11:38:40 AM »
The stock surge was a surprise and good news.  I have been disgusted with all the banks, and busisnesses who loaned money to people who could not afford homes.  In some areas of the country credit unions are paying their members dividends because they did so well.

They never leant money to those who did not qualify, and the members were conservative and knew how to budget, and not go beyond their means.  These are simple principles, and its too bad that the big 3 automakers, and AIG, Shearson Lehman, JP Morgan, Fannie, and Freddie and others did not follow basic principles to stay in the black.   My criticism is very high of these companies and their greed!

AIG has even resorted to considering Sharia Finance to get them out of debt.  Hopefully everyone will call Peter Tulupman, who is the public Relations Manager, 212-770-3141 and express their disapproval with how AIG is entangling itself with Shariah and Islam. 

Jim Crain  is the person to call for more information about the Shariah-compliant insurance now being offered.  He can be reached at 617-345-4105.  These companies are selling the United States to Islamic practices, and Sharia law, and its got to stop!

www.actforamerica.org has more information for anyone who is concerned.

What the hell is Sharia finance?